Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If someone says a word in the forest does it sound like yanny or laurel?

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited May 2018 in General Banter

Not sure if everyone is familiar with the latest internet sensation in the same vein as the white and gold or black and blue dress.

When someone says a word about half of people hear yanny and half hear laurel. It's the same sound but is heard in two very different ways. And some people hear it one way at times and the other way at other times, which happened to me just now posting the link.

It raises the question are our perceptions really observing objective reality?

My personal theory is that people who hear laurel are spawns of the devil, sent here to confuse us and send the world spinning into chaos.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Only in America.....

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@federica said:
    Only in America.....

I guess I never really thought about that and I haven't seen it brought up. Does the language one speaks and the accent one uses play a role in what someone hears? Is this indeed only an American phenomenon, to only American ears?

• TsultrimTsultrim Hawaii Veteran

They used to be able to do it with the eyes, now the ears. I always wonder with discoveries like that what the military applications might be. Maybe something like give up to one group and fight to another.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@person said:

@federica said:
    Only in America.....

I guess I never really thought about that and I haven't seen it brought up. Does the language one speaks and the accent one uses play a role in what someone hears? Is this indeed only an American phenomenon, to only American ears?

Well, having listened to the narrator and the two words pronounced as they were, I'm pretty sure it doesn't work to a British English person's ear.

I personally seem to hear a big difference when it comes to USA/UK ways of speaking...

For example, when many Americans say 'mirror', to us Brits it sounds like 'meer'.
    Say 'Terror' and we get 'Tear' (as in 'rip' not as in 'cry').

when we say those words, you'll hear mir-rah and terr-ah, respectively...
    So to us, the words 'Yanny' and 'laurel' are easily distinguishable.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited May 2018

Which way is the cat turning ? :)

edited May 2018

Maybe this is a trite thing to people but it's pretty weird to me. There is a place where you can adjust a slider to change the frequency to hear laurel or yanny.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

What has been happening for me is I usually hear yanny and if I adjust the slider all the way over at once I hear laurel. If I move it slowly to see when it switches over I only ever hear yanny all the way down. It's really weird that the same spot will sometimes sound one way and at other times sound the other way. It works for laurel too if the slider is moved gradually.

• Lee82Lee82 Veteran

All to do with frequency and nothing else. There’s a video online where high frequencies are removed from the audio clip and then low frequencies are removed, giving a different word i.e both words are being said and the one you hear depends on your own hearing range.

personlobster
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@person said:
    It raises the question are our perceptions really observing objective reality?

Not according to the mind only schools of Buddhism. =)

@Lee82 said:
    All to do with frequency and nothing else. There’s a video online where high frequencies are removed from the audio clip and then low frequencies are removed, giving a different word i.e both words are being said and the one you hear depends on your own hearing range.

Thanks, that seems to be a good explanation to me.

My takeaway is that there is some external stimulus but how it is heard or interpreted is dependent upon our individual physical or maybe mental makeup.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

If someone says a word in the forest does it sound like yanny or laurel?

Anything to do with sound or noise I'm reminded of Shunryu Suzuki....

• ToshTosh Veteran

"I love you Laurel!"

"Who the hell is Yanny?"

Shoshinfederica