Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sweepstakes winner!

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

We spend so much of our time focusing on what is lacking in our lives. We focus on being, doing, and having more in our lives. When we focus on more, we become blind to all we are already. All we can do. All we have in our lives, right now.

What if, in many ways, we've already won the lottery of life?

Here’s a nice article from tiny buddha :
https://tinybuddha.com/blog/why-we-may-have-already-won-the-lottery-of-life/

personBunksDavidShoshinlobsterJeroen

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Really nice, gratitude is probably the greatest thing we can do in our society to increase our own happiness.
    Steven Pinker's recent work is also really uplifting.

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited June 2018

That was good for me to watch. Sometimes, you need the bigger picture to appreciate the progress, and to stay positive about the progress to come. :)

@Vastmind said:
    That was good for me to watch. Sometimes, you need the bigger picture to appreciate the progress, and to stay positive about the progress to come. :)

Yes, it's not about saying everything is perfect, or even better for everyone all the time. It's about saying our efforts haven't been in vain and if we continue to work on our problems we can continue to solve them.

VastmindlobsterDavid[Deleted User]
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited June 2018

AFA the OP...on an individual scale....
    Life’s Good. I’ve come a long way from where and how i grew up, and I turned out a hell of a lot better than I thought I would, hahaha

May I continue to practice gratitude and joy.

https://jackkornfield.com/meditation-gratitude-joy/

personlobsterDavid
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Life’s Good.

It is? ... yes it probably is when you have gratitude for:

• fiends, friends and dhrama-rama-ding-dong
      Yesterday I reported a 'criminal heron' (it was stealing fish) to a policeman. He nearly fell off his bike. 'You wot?' he asked. Our police are great and laughed when I told him I was pulling his leg ...

• joy in small things, for example I discoved a 72% cocao Belgian chocolate bar (Godiva) that has Buddha nature ... and yab-yum.

• nature ... yesterday came across a vegetarian duckling chasing damselflies. Are they evolving carniverous tedencies?

killer duckling stalking mating damselflies ...

I’ve come a long way from where and how i grew up, and I turned out a hell of a lot better than I thought I would,

Bravo. I am still waiting to grow up. I am grateful that hell is turning out a lot better than expected. The heating system is exemplary ...

hahaha

Well said.

I like the idea in the article about taking something sort of hum drum or negative and seeing the positive in it. Like the simple practice of turning the thought, "I have to do something" into "I get to do something". I remember a talk on gratitude that brought up a similar idea, to take ordinary annoyances and reframe them. So if you have an itch on your leg instead of getting upset over it remember that you actually have feeling in your legs, something not everyone has.

Jeroenlobster