Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

MBSR

ScottPenScottPen Maryland Veteran

Give it a read. MBSR might be scoffed at by some Buddhists, but since I found it after I learned about the 4NT and N8FP, I'm pretty impressed by how much it correlates.
Buddhism basics without the Buddha?!?! There are people all over the place that are unenlightened, but happier nonetheless. I like it.

Then I found this. A free full MBSR program. This guy gets it.

And this. So does she.

BunksShoshin

Comments

• kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

it's good that people find ways of dealing with life and its peculiarities that is simple and direct. I feel that the ideas and concepts within Buddhism, manifold, contradictory and annoying as they often are, can take you anywhere you wish to go, and sometimes to places in yourself you don't want to even know exist! That's the point, for me at least.

Shoshin
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

I’m not a scoffer at MBSR. The fact that Buddhism can be accepted and employed by psychologists, without any reference to the Buddha or particular scriptures, is a testament to the truth of the teachings. It’s a huge compliment.

Imagine if scientists proved that kneeling and chanting under the breath five times a day, made you a calmer more compassionate person. Muslims wouldn’t be offended; they’d be really pleased. So when science begins to prove Buddhism’s teachings on psychology, it only bolsters my faith and makes me more hopeful.

Besides, I don’t think the Buddha taught total reliance on him or even on his exact words—where are they, anyway? I think this path can hold just as many obstacles to a devout Buddhist as it can to someone who uses MBSR. Good luck to them all.

personVastmindShoshinlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited June 2018

@ScottPen said:
    Give it a read. MBSR might be scoffed at by some Buddhists, but since I found it after I learned about the 4NT and N8FP, I'm pretty impressed by how much it correlates.
    Buddhism basics without the Buddha?!?! There are people all over the place that are unenlightened, but happier nonetheless. I like it.

Then I found this. A free full MBSR program. This guy gets it.

And this. So does she.

MBSR therapy/practice can be likened to a secular seed that's planted (and if nurtured) from which the Dharma will grow...

The medicinal benefits of Sati 'Mindfulness' practice is for the most part just a byproduct of the practice...be it a very beneficial byproduct for psychotherapists and their clients :)

lobster