Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bugsy Malone

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited June 2018 in General Banter

The fledgling magpies in our garden:
Bugsy - bottom right second picture
Malone - top left second picture and Buddha bathing/drinking area
The parents have been feeding them and they stay on the ground, hiding at night and have already learned hopping and Buddha bathing ...

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/magpie/life-cycle
They are tough little birds ...

Any wildlife you are supporting/observing?

Bunksadamcrossley

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I saw a baby robin hopping around on one of my walks. Sadly I thought it might have gotten lost out of its nest which I couldn't spot around.

• kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

We live in an isolated cottage and have wild neighbours, pine martins, badgers, a pair of VERY large foxes, red deer and lots of hares. I love them being around but my husband gets nervous about the stag calls, they are a bit otherworldly! In the night in the dark ? great photo!

lobster

This is a little arena where hares often play in the early morning - it's very hard to get a photo though so use your imagination ?

Sorry, how do you get photos on here?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2018

Ok, tutorial:
    Focusing (pardon the pun) on your own photos from your own files (presuming you have downloaded them onto a holding folder on your computer:
    Place your cursor, in the comment box, where you want your picture to appear.

Then:
    Click on the icon above your comment box, that looks like a piece of black paper folded over at the top r/h corner.
    You are prompted to select a file, so go to your stored file/photo, and double click it.
    The photo will oad, and when you click 'post comment' your piture should appear in your post.
    Note:
    When I do this, my selected photo appears as a thumbnail under my post, and members have to click on it to view it.

I don't know why this happens, or how to change it, because it never used to happen; my photos always used to appear within the post, as @lobster's have done with his magpie fledgling photos.

if anyone know why this has started happening, feel free to pipe in!

• lobsterlobster Veteran

We need @Linc to sort things ...

At the moment I have to go through the usual process but not post. Just grab the text and the image code. Then paste that into a new post (if uncertain use a notepad or similar to **first save ** the text in) Then post and edit the post after it is on the forum ...

Convoluted ... but works ...

@kando, your cottage sounds wonderful. Such wildlife. Eh ma ho (how wonderful).

Thanks guys. What a fantastic flower @Federica you truly have Tara green fingers! And yes @lobster it is amazing to be surrounded by wildlife here,we are very lucky ? I will try to get a photo of a hare and then post (hopefully)

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@lobster said:

They are so cute!

I have a raven I feed and chat to regularly. Hugnin I call him. Munin, his partner just sits on the fence or in the trees and watches us. I'm sure they report back to Odin and dob on me :awesome: I'm just waiting for the day I can get Hugnin to sit on my shoulder - that'd be a life goal for sure.

** When I read the title of this post, I had flashbacks to my school musical days *shudders* - those photos will NEVER be seen (like my waistline back then :wink: )
    _ /\ _

kando

@Kundo said:

** When I read the title of this post, I had flashbacks to my school musical days

Yikes! No way I'd want to go there either @kundo ? I thought of splurge guns but then I'm really silly! - no photo of a hare yet, boy are they fast....❤

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster said:

I live in a flat overlooking a triangular grassy area where there are some swings and things for the local children, but sometimes we are invaded by the local deer, and on some mornings you can observe between two and six of them chowing down on the leafy greens. Will try to take a photograph when next I see them...

Other than that I’m near the beach, so there are always seagulls and a few crows about, but it’s a grassy dune landscape so the wildlife is somewhat limited. I once saw a snake that was a good 70 cm long in the dunes, and a fox, and some buffalo.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Are you sure your name isn't Laura Ingalls wilder....? :D

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited June 2018

Not that kind of buffalo, it’s not the prairie (and there isn’t a little house either) :3 The Council here have a small herd of ‘wissenten’ which are a kind of woolly buffalo subspecies which are native to continental Europe which are allowed to roam through the nature park nearby.

edited June 2018

Here they are, those deer, settled in for the morning to the left of the white path... I observe them from my kitchen window from time to time until people chase them away.

Strange to see them in such a populated area, bet people have been feeding them - the closest I ever got to a fox and her cubs was in London, a friend and I sat in her garden watching them playing!

That should have been vixen I know but that always sounds sexist somehow :) cultural conditioning, don't you just love it :p still haven't managed to snap a hare in a quiet moment!

• lobsterlobster Veteran

They are so cute!

They were on the ground for only a couple of days, with the parents protection. They have flown.

I have a raven I feed and chat to regularly. Hugnin I call him. Munin, his partner just sits on the fence or in the trees and watches us. I'm sure they report back to Odin and dob on me :awesome: I'm just waiting for the day I can get Hugnin to sit on my shoulder - that'd be a life goal for sure.

I am learning to speak crow. I like this family of birds. Jays in particular as they are very shy/wary. They used to be made into hats when that sort of thing was Lady Ga-Ga/fashionable. Was chatting with some hooded crows on Richmond Common recently ... They were all bread heads/carbohydrate junkies ... The raven has strong links to Odin as you mention, Dalai Lama and Western Rasayana (alchemy).

Relaxing with the others after zazen one evening, Owl asked, “What is the spirit of practice?” Raven said, “Inquiry.” Owl cocked his heart and asked, “What do I inquire about?” Raven said, “Good start.”

David