Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How I Spent My Summer Vacation

PalzangPalzang Veteran
edited October 2008 in Sanghas
I'm baaaack!

My month-long retreat was very good. Difficult for an old monk to live in a tent in humid, rainy upstate New York, but worth it. I'm still in Maryland as my flight doesn't leave until Wednesday. Then I'll be packing up and moving to Maryland. Impermanence...

It was great practicing every (nearly) day with His Holiness and all the other fine lamas and khenpos of the Palyul lineage. It's like living in a Pure Land for a month. Coming back to the "real" world was quite a shock, however!

I thought I'd share a few pix that I took. The first is of the temple at the Palyul Retreat Center. It's just a temporary temple, believe it or not. They've got plans to build a much bigger one. The second is of the interior of the temple. The third is looking down the valley towards Greene and Binghamton with all the prayer flags lining the road. The last is of His Holiness Penor Rinpoche seated on his throne giving a long life empowerment the last day of retreat.

Palzang

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited August 2008
    Good to hear from you, Palzang!

Didya get any rest? Many lay people I know go to monasteries on their vacations, but the monks generally go to places like Vegas —or to the beach, real dharma bums.

I hope you'll make several posts very soon. I'm totally empty here.

Fondly,

N
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2008
    No, no rest at all. We had full days every day, starting at 7:00 AM with morning practice for an hour, then an hour for breakfast, then Guru Yoga with His Holiness for another hour. Then we'd either have a teaching or a practice session until lunch. After lunch we'd have another practice session or teaching in the afternoon. In the evening we'd have still another practice session or teaching. Also I was doing the video for the retreat, so I had to keep track of all the videos (as well as the audio tapes and audio recordings we made on a digital recorder) in a database. So no, I didn't get much rest! I was living in a tent as well, a platform tent, but a tent nonetheless. It gets cold in New York! It also gets hot. And muggy. And rainy. Not the ideal vacation spot! Tough on an old monk, but oh well!

Palzang
  • edited August 2008
    My friend it sounds that you weather well despite the harsh conditions. See your practice payed off in spades.

So does that mean that you'll be permanently leaving Arizona?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2008
    Yes, actually I am leaving Arizona, unfortunately.

Palzang
  • edited August 2008
    Hi Palzang,

That temple looks amazing and those pictures are beautiful. Why did you decide to leave Arizona? Sedona is such a wonderful place and I can't wait to go back there.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2008
    Well, it's not that I decided to leave. We're closing our center here, so nearly everyone is going back to Maryland. We've just had too many obstacles here to continue. I like Sedona, but the simple fact is the few jobs that were here have pretty much dried up. I can't live off nothing, so I'm kind of forced to go back to Maryland where there are jobs irregardless of the status of the center here. It's called "impermanence"!

I'll miss Sedona for sure, but it's OK. It doesn't really matter where I am. Like it says in our bodhisattva vow, "Let me be born in times unpredictable, in places unknown, until all sentient beings are liberated from the cycle of death and rebirth." So even if I have to go to one of the hell realms (like, say, New Jersey) to liberate beings, that's where I'll go, like it or not!

Palzang

* sorry to all you out there in New Jersey. Just a crude attempt at humor.
  • edited August 2008
    Good on you.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2008
    Great pics, Pally.

Thanks for sharing and I hope that, whatever happens, I'm sure you will make the lives of those that come in contact with you better for the knowing.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2008
    Thanks, bf. It's going to take a lot of getting used to being back in Maryland, what with the crappy weather, all the people and so forth. Maybe it'll look better when I find a job!

Palzang
    edited September 2008
    I had a good summer too.

Was in DC for a week with my son.
    Motorcycle rides into Northern Idaho, Montana, Hell's Canyon and Nakusp BC.
    Playing lots of music and doing outdoor festivals.

I'm not ready for Fall yet.

When are "we" having a Pot Luck?

-bf
  • edited September 2008
    Nice pikkies, great kid .............. where's the Harley?????
    edited September 2008
    I was on this trip with a guy who rode a 1950 Harley Davidson Panhead.

What a drippy, oil leakin' piece of crap.

He didn't want to push it over 55 for fear it would... break?

I will never ride with someone who has an old HD POS.

Here is a picture of Connie - my Kawasaki Concours.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2008
    Wow, very studly, bf! Leather jacket, macho motorcycle... Beautiful places you visited too. Too bad you were in DC before I got here. We could've done lunch. Oh well, maybe next trip...

We could have a halloween potluck at Fede's?!

Palzang
  • edited September 2008
    Wow, BF. Those pictures are awesome I am so jealous that you live near mountains. Very cool!
    edited September 2008
    I've been told I'm quite the stub.

-bf
  • edited September 2008
    NIIIIIIIIIIIICE BIKE
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2008
    Palzang wrote: »
    Wow, very studly, bf! Leather jacket, macho motorcycle... Beautiful places you visited too. Too bad you were in DC before I got here. We could've done lunch. Oh well, maybe next trip...

We could have a halloween potluck at Fede's?!

Palzang

Am baking the potatoes and roasting the weenies as we speak, Pally.....! :lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2008
    My salivary glands are activated!

Palzang
  • edited September 2008
    I'll bring the veggies, fresh from our garden for the potluck!
  • edited September 2008
    Put me down for a Victoria Sponge!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2008
    What's that? Some kind of 19th century birth control?