Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Waves on the ocean

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

It’s curious but now that the summer is here I don’t feel such a strong spiritual impulse. Earlier this year I felt more the need to work on myself, I was finding significance in things, I was reading sutra’s and taking in the teachings. I was also making connections with spirituality from my past, prior to finding the Buddhist path.

I’ve noticed it before, that spiritual motivation seems to come and go like waves upon the ocean. At the moment it feels like my cup is empty, there is no energy and also no obstacle to work on. I’ve been having some odd dreams, about diseases of the body and heresy and amnesties, themes that are new to me.

Some things that do hold appeal for me are art and the meditation on death. It’s as if I am searching for something to re-energise me, as if I’ve run down and am looking for a turning down a new path. I’m sure this too will pass and there will be phases of new impulse.

What do you do in the spaces between, when your motivation is low?

herberto

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I let it be, and let it go.

It comes back....

lobsterBunksherberto
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I've heard that conciousness in many ways has a motion of dissolving out to space and then coming together as a focus. A wave sounds like a good metaphor for that coming to focus. The sea is all spread out but it focuses in waves from time to time. Meditation can be like this when we notice we are daydreaming and that is a sudden focus that somehow came into the forefront of concious.

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Kerome said:

Rejoice

BunksScottPen
  • Waves have high and low intensities. When the intensity is low, it’s more of a natural rhythm than a drawback.

Bunks
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I often find my self bridging the gap with a Dharma snack...

Bearing in mind Form is Emptiness Emptiness is Form ... not unlike waves upon the ocean... ;)

Bunks
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Fret, stop retrace my steps, give up.

Rinse and repeat till I get too stressed and give up completely. Then it just "clicks" back into place. Now though, I'm trying to remain mindful of that point of fretting and reminding myself it's pointless and trying to skip to giving up till it clicks again.

lobsterBunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

fret

Ah yes ... like Jimi Hendrix and his guitar or other world champions ...

Oh wait, not that sort of fretting :3 I gone wrong again ... :3

Kundo