Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

World Cup Russia 2018

2»

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

What makes the buzzing sound in the crowd? Doesn’t sound like voices cheering?

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    What makes the buzzing sound in the crowd? Doesn’t sound like voices cheering?

Hmmmmm.....I've watched lots of games and haven't noticed that @Jeffrey?

The Aussies are on tonight (our time).

We need to beat Peru and rely on France to beat Denmark. The odds are against us I think!

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2018

Bunks, I was watching the Iran and Portugal game and it sounded like the crowd were making noise with something like kazoos?

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    The Aussies are on tonight (our time).

We need to beat Peru and rely on France to beat Denmark. The odds are against us I think!

Maybe, maybe not. Although I'm pretty confident Denmark will win. Peru have been pretty average this World Cup

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Jeffrey said:
    Bunks, I was watching the Iran and Portugal game and it sounded like the crowd were making noise with something like kazoos?

Maybe they're shush-vuzelas....?

Kundo
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Yesterday evening was pretty interesting, it was this close or Spain would have gone out in the closing stages of those matches and Iran would have gone to the last 16. But instead they went through to play Russia, I think.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I bet Ronaldo is peeved that penalty of his was saved....! He's after that Golden Boot, and at the moment, he's one behind the England Captain.... That won't be doing his Ego a lot of good!

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Exciting Argentina v Nigeria!

@federica said:
    I bet Ronaldo is peeved that penalty of his was saved....! He's after that Golden Boot, and at the moment, he's one behind the England Captain.... That won't be doing his Ego a lot of good!

Kane shouldn't be the Golden Boot leader......two penalties and one he knew nothing about don't constitute a hat trick. An asterisk next to his name required!

Australia out! Ah well, we tried.....just don't have a finisher to score goals for us.

@federica said:

@Jeffrey said:

Maybe they're shush-vuzelas....?

Yeah, not sure about what the various noises in the crowd are from. Maybe the Australian fans crying? ;)

federicaKundoJeffrey
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

So many big teams had a slow start... Argentina, Spain, Germany, Brazil. We could easily have had Iran and Nigeria in the last 16. It’s been an odd tournament so far.

Germany out!! Wow....let's see if Brazil follow suit...

edited June 2018

Looking good so far, in spite of a very early player problem.....

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Germany definitely had a lot of quality chances against S Korea. Surprised they lost but suspenseful.

@Jeffrey said:
    Germany definitely had a lot of quality chances against S Korea. Surprised they lost but suspenseful.

It's interesting that the last 3 world cup winners have been knocked out in the group stage at the following world cup.

England v Belgium - watching two teams try to lose! You would want to finish second in that group.

Yeah... funny that!

(I don't think they're trying to lose.... they're just trying to not win....)

Bunks

I think individual pride kicked in in the second half so it was actually quite entertaining.

England without Harry Kane didn't look overly potent.....looking forward to the game against Colombia. Should be a cracker!

@Bunks said:

It's interesting that the last 3 world cup winners have been knocked out in the group stage at the following world cup.

I think it's great. I think we'll have an exciting comp for a change

Bunks

Yeah it’s quite hard to name an outright favourite. The big teams such as Argentina, Brazil, and France haven’t been performing, and some second and third tier teams have been good, like Belgium and Croatia. Italy and the Netherlands aren’t even at this championship.

I think Spain have been the only favourite to have shown some good form. It could definitely be an exciting tournament. The quarterfinals are usually the best matches.

So France is through, but Uruguay have just scored against Portugal - Ronaldo doesn't look very happy! Still, 'early days'....

@federica said:
    So France is through, but Uruguay have just scored against Portugal - Ronaldo doesn't look very happy! Still, 'early days'....

1 - 1!

Ooops! Uruguay are pushing their advantage - 2 - 1!

Bunks
    edited July 2018

So Uruguay v France in the first quarter final. That’s a tough match, but I thought Uruguay had a bit too much firepower for Portugal, while France I think more than match them.

If I were to hazard a guess, I’d think Spain and Croatia will win today to fill out the next slot.

Bunks

@Kerome said:
    So Uruguay v France in the first quarter final. That’s a tough match, but I thought Uruguay had a bit too much firepower for Portugal, while France I think more than match them.

If I were to hazard a guess, I’d think Spain and Croatia will wil today to fill out the next slot.

Yeah, France v Uruguay will be a good one.....hopefully Cavani is ok though.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

After Germany's huge flop, I'm rooting for Mexico. Impressive start, but Brazil will be tough to beat. Too bad I have to work and won't be able to watch the game. :cry:

And the surprises keep coming, Russia knock out Spain. That makes that half of the draw pretty weak. Russia v Croatia in one quarter final, and in the other the two winners of Sweden v Switzerland and England v Colombia.

Sweden are my only hope now

Poor Japan! Really thought they were a chance this morning......shows the class of Belgium though.

Good news is after tonight I'll be able to get back to having a normal nights sleep for the next few nights......this World Cup thing is exhausting!!

@Kerome said:
    And the surprises keep coming, Russia knock out Spain. That makes that half of the draw pretty weak. Russia v Croatia in one quarter final, and in the other the two winners of Sweden v Switzerland and England v Colombia.

Sounds like combats between the Drug Czars and the Criminal Cartels....

Did I say that out loud.......? O.o

Kundo

@federica said:

@Kerome said:

Sounds like combats between the Drug Czars and the Criminal Cartels....

Did I say that out loud.......? O.o

Ha ha! One of the commentators (comedian!) over here was asking if anyone checked what kind of cars were now parked in the driveway of the Saudi players after the 5-0 drubbing at the hands of Russia!

Kundo

The second half of the Belgium v Japan game was amazing, lots of goals and really technical football. But I think as a team Belgium are really strong, and they have a lot of individual quality.

Bunks

Come on England!! That was awesome....

@Bunks said:
    Come on England!! That was awesome....

...By the skin of their British teeth!

Bunks

Yeah I thought Colombia were slightly the better passing team, England a bit better on set plays, but both teams were a bit toothless in attack. I guess the English were due a win on penalties though. Now a couple of days’ rest and then Sweden in the quarters.

The Brazil v Belgium game looks very enticing though.

Bunks

Colombia were nasty. That foul against Harry Kane wasn't a penalty, because the ball wasn't in play; but it was a foul/free kick. However, the penalty was given. And all the while the Colombians were haranguing, harassing and shoving on the Ref, they were digging the penalty spot with their boots to make the surface dip.

All to no good, as Kane got the penalty anyway.... but it was a poor show, and definitely not sportsmanship. Just for that, they deserved to lose, in my opinion....

Bunks