Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Escaping the cycle of negativity

One of the things i've observed is the feeling of how negativity can become a reinforcing cycle, which is a topic commonly talked about.

To help escape the cycle there are few things.
You can block out and get rid of negative influences. This can often force yourself to adapt and change, to break patterns.
Spreading positivity and extending good vibes can help bring postivity back to you. But also (although it might seem obvious) laughing enjoying things, smiling etc.
Stop and take time to be aware of things. Breathe. Try to see different sides of the situation. Also try to focus on the moment rather than the past, be mindful of what is around you.

lobsterShoshinperson

Comments

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited August 2018

It is said that there is no such thing as altruism. This is a good thing. The reason being is that it is hard to do something good and nice without getting any on you.

Carameltail
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman England Explorer

I’ll be having that federica. As someone who gets bad anxiety quite a lot, it starts with one thought and then it just keeps spiralling and spiralling. Meditation has taught me how to cut it off quite early before it keeps reinforcing itself. Not perfect at it, but i recognise that it’s always work in progress. I’ve been thinking about this a lot. How I think everything can be put down to choice. We have the possibility to choose to be positive and change our mindset. Doesn’t mean it’s not extremely hard to do it, and you can be in a place in which you can see no way out of that mindset. But you can choose to focus on breath or whatever and see that the mindset is not who you are. Negativity is a distraction I feel. I think of it like in meditation. The mind can go wandering, but when we become aware of it we can choose either to keep following where it’s going, or bring it back to the breath or mantra or whatever.

First proper post I’ve done lol

lobsterShoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Escaping the cycle of negativity

It would seem that it's a case of ...What we resist persists

So go with the flow ...just like Judo (or in this case Sumo) ;);)

Perhaps the thread title should be "Welcoming the cycle of negativity"

kando
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2018

@Shoshin said:
    Perhaps the thread title should be "Welcoming the cycle of negativity"

Perhaps not. :p

Negativity like our demons, our impeded indulgences, bad habits and fish addictions :3 is not welcome and indeed is often where we loop, wallow, get ill in mind, body and Tequila/Spirit.

Once our angelic or positive aspects are looping, working, increasing, then we have a base from which to welcome our lesser negatives.

... anxiety can be 'eaten' by for example prostration practice or physical meditation methods ... Walking meditation or Shaolin Horse Riding Chi Kung Meditation.

It takes a degree of mastery and acceptance of suffering to sit with anxiety but hey, meditation is not for the armchair buddhas ...

Sit as I said to what little mind I have ...

ShoshinCarameltailFinnTheHumannewlotus