Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Untitled

RefugeeRefugee San Francisco Explorer

I remember sitting in a pickup truck next to my then-stepfather as we drove along a country road. I must have been seven or eight. He was telling me about how boys became stronger as they got older. I pondered this.

“The older you get, the stronger you are?” I asked excitedly. Being a child, I extrapolated only in straight lines. I thought about my grandfather, who already loomed toweringly large in my mind, and assessed that he must be one of the strongest men in the world, on account of his age.

My stepfather, not a man given to deep reflection, nevertheless paused and considered before answering.

“Up to a point,” he said, and went silent for a time.

I had no idea what he meant.

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Certainly mentally my experience was different. At 30 I was pretty stress-resistant and relatively tough against a variety of life knocks, where as those life knocks kept coming I was gradually worn down by it, and nowadays at 46 I’m finding I sometimes need to take my time recovering. It’s like you gain some sensitivity and some life awareness when you pass 40, which goes at the cost of some blind resilience.

• kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

Some of the bounce has gone out of my bungee with age and that's a fact. It takes longer to recover from knocks, for example recently having my email address hacked....... Again! :o