Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Shakuhachi

Since my practice, my musical taste seem to have evolved. I've always liked various music. I fell in love with Jazz after hearing Coltrane's, "My Favorite Things," blew me away! And immersed me into Jazz's boundless treasure trove of sound. Now I also find Classical appealing and lately hearing the Shakuhachi flute. It's kind of weird to explain, but it's almost as if this music was always known to me, when I listen to it. I don't know how that sounds, but it feels innate. Has anyone else listened to this music and know what I'm trying to say? My practice and my increasing ability to be still and aware, makes me realize. I've been sort of a zombie for the better part of my life.

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Music and spiritual practice occasionally get brought together... there are various shamanic drumming rituals, and I know of a few non-Buddhist meditations which are set to music. Although that probably isn’t what you’re experiencing :)

Even so, have you considered that this new-found connection to music may be a beautiful distraction? The stillness itself is a core part of meditative practice, and if you are finding that is opening doors to a new kind of awareness perhaps it is an invitation to focus on that, and move deeper into silence.

I’m sure the shakuhachi flutes will still be waiting for you when you re-emerge...

RojehoFoibleFull
  • kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

Don't know if you play an instrument @Rojeho. it sounds as if music is becoming something powerfully real in your life and it may be a 'way' in rather than a distraction. Might be worth exploring.

• RojehoRojeho CT Explorer

I don't @kando but you're correct. I find it more focusing than distracting. More so, a soundtrack to my discoveries.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2018

@Rojeho said:
    I've been sort of a zombie for the better part of my life.

Hark.
    https://www.soulfularogya.com/the-reed-flutes-song-by-rumi/

As a wer-lobster™️, the best part of life is the swan song (post ego death).

Here is the Ney flute, which you may or nay like ...

... and now back to 'spirituality' and all that jazz ...

Rojehokando
  • kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

There is something about the sounds a flute creates that is totally in the body and unique. Thank you @Rojeho for introducing me to the shakuhachi and to @lobster for the Sufi vibes :)

Rojeho
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

I found this in The Miracle of Mindfulness:

If Thich Nhat Hanh has a meditation for it, it’s a good practice. I haven’t listened to the music in question, but it sounds like a good Dharma Gate for you. Enjoy!

Kundo
  • Is this the music Kurosawa uses in his films? Instantly reminded me of them.

@Lee82 I would imagine so. The music and instrument origins are ancient Japan.

I prefer natural silence for meditation. I don't use music for that purpose. I use it primarily as background throughout the course of my day, and the genre varies. So that in times of ponder, it's there as I need it, be it for focus, enjoyment, or soothing distraction. Thanks @adamcrossley for that. Enjoy the weekend, everybody!

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited September 2018

I’m sure @lobster will laugh merrily about me quoting a non-Buddhist, but Osho once said this on the subject of music...

Music is born out of deep experiences of meditation; it is a dimension of meditation. By meditating, you may be able to be touched by music, but the reverse is also true: If you are totally absorbed in music, your heart will be touched not only by music but by meditation too.
    Music is sound. Meditation is soundlessness.
    The highest music is where the sound does not destroy the soundless moments in between. As the musician becomes more and more refined, he can manage to create sound, and between two sounds he can give you an experience of soundlessness.
    That soundlessness touches the heart.

From Sermons in Stones, pg. 231.

Rojeho
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited September 2018

Shakuhachi

Over the years I've accumulated music from around the world (traditional instruments) ..I have amongst my collect "Japan Dreaming"

Vibrations can do funny things to people...After all...

We're just bundles of vibrating energy flux held together by karmic glue -so the vibrating sound of shakuhachi can have deep shape-shifting effects on you! :)

Hmm ...A couple of years back a neighbour across the valley from where I was staying would play their shakuhachi flute some mornings, and the haunting sounds would float across the valley...

Rojehokando

@Shoshin I realized when I heard one during meditation this morning. The shakuhachi has a sound not much unlike the call of a mourning dove. Another sound that makes you pay attention, wonder and wander.

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

There is no movement without rhythm "Foli"

Life is like a musical instrument ...Music moves us..(bundles of vibrating energy flux)

kando
  • @Rojeho said:
    I've been sort of a zombie for the better part of my life

Thought you might appreciate the traditional komuso zombie flute minstrels ... o:)

@lobster In seeing this, it is doubtful, especially in my current state of tamping down my worldliness, that they could find a basket large enough to cover my head. Peace.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Rojeho said:
    @lobster In seeing this, it is doubtful, especially in my current state of tamping down my worldliness, that they could find a basket large enough to cover my head. Peace.

lobsterRojehoShoshin