Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Chicken-Free Chicken

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited September 2018 in Diet & Habits

At the supermarket today I came across "Chicken Free Chicken" (at first I thought it was just a company using a different approach/wording for free range chickens)

(Reality TV)...

but to my surprise it was actually "Chicken Free Chicken" ...Being vegetarian I've tried many different types of mock meats ( not because I miss animal flesh, I just like to see how well it compares to the real thing) I first came across 'mock meat' in a Chinese vegetarian restaurant in Bondi Sydney back in the early 1980s (I think it was the first "Chinese' vegetarian restaurant to open in Australia....Anyhow .... I bought a pack to try...

I found it quite tasty...

lobsteryagrBunks

Comments

• I can not tempt you to the dark side? >:)
    https://www.estherthewonderpig.com/the-dark-side

;)

I am watching a documentary 'The End of Meat'. As a hypocrite I love animals, especially curried. However I admire the Jains, Vegans and Cabbage Heads. :p

I am finding more delicious substitutes for chicken. I can cook tofu. I will be good eventually but ... yum ...

Good find. Be Kind to the hypocrites, we are animals too :3

ShoshinJeroenyagr
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I eat a lot of soy and other plant based products... lots of beancurd/tofu & TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein)

To date I've tried 'mock'
    Sausages
    Savoury mince pies
    Duck
    Chicken
    pork
    Bacon
    lamb
    Beef
    Fish
    Shrimp

;);)

lobsteryagr
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

In Italy - The land of Style, Culture, Avant-garde a la mode - they're big on selling "Eco-Quoio" (pronounced echo quwoy-oh) goods (Eco-Leather).

Kind to animals.
    Recycling? Not so much.

Eco leather is - plastic.

Heck, call it what it is.

I suspect your chicken-free chicken is quorn.
    The flavour and texture are extremely similar, and to the untrained palate, virtually indistinguishable. Quorn is a big thing here....

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

What I find interesting that "mock meat" was basically invented by Chinese Buddhists a thousand of years ago.

@federica said:
    I suspect your chicken-free chicken is quorn.
    The flavour and texture are extremely similar, and to the untrained palate, virtually indistinguishable. Quorn is a big thing here....

Similar in that they are both protein. Chicken free chicken is pea protein while quorn is "Mycoprotien" AKA protein derived from fungi. Similar to a mushroom, but technically not a mushroom. :)

Shoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Peas are also full of vitamins, minerals and fibre, although whether that content is compromised through the processing, I couldn't guess...

Shoshin
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Quorn is the only decent fake meat I have been able to find at the supermarket thus far.

Shoshin
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Fake meats are getting better and lots of effort is being put into it. I'm excited about the prospect of the impact a price and taste competitive alternative will have on society.

lobsterLincShoshin
  • RojehoRojeho CT Explorer

Why fake meat? Obviously you desire meat. Just get the real thing and eat it. We're all going to die from something. I'm saying, why not meat? Chicken free chicken!? Nah jack. Please put chicken in my chicken, but keep that ridiculous Chick'filet pickle off of it.

Shoshin
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

@person said:
    Fake meats are getting better and lots of effort is being put into it. I'm excited about the prospect of the impact a price and taste competitive alternative will have on society.

I strongly agree. If you haven't checked them out in the last few years, your ideas are probably out of date. I've been very surprised.

@Rojeho said:
    Why fake meat? Obviously you desire meat. Just get the real thing and eat it.

Lots of reasons. My husband is pescatarian (vegetarian + fish) and we cook together. It's easier to prepare recipes you grew up on with meat substitutes. And sometimes, the substitute is legitimately better. Notice none of those reasons is because I have an aversion to eating meat.

I often say I eat vegetarian when the options are at least equal to the meat-based fare. Field Roast "breakfast sausages" and "kielbasas" are better than their real-meat equivalents (to my taste, of course). I get vegetarian burritos at the neighborhood pub that are better than their chicken-based variant, no competition. In fact, with the exception of al pastor, I almost always prefer vegetarian fare at Mexican restaurants.

KundoShoshinperson
  • I tried vegan ice cream this summer just to try it and thought it was great.

KundoShoshin
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited September 2018

@Shoshin said:
    I first came across 'mock meat' in a Chinese vegetarian restaurant in Bondi Sydney back in the early 1980s (I think it was the first "Chinese' vegetarian restaurant to open in Australia....Anyhow .... I bought a pack to try...

Bondi has a large Orthodox Jewish community so meat alternatives have been a thing there for years, long before veganism took off due to Kosher requirements in Judaism. But you probably already know that if you lived there :)

Shoshin

@Rojeho said:
    Why fake meat? Obviously you desire meat. Just get the real thing and eat it. We're all going to die from something. I'm saying, why not meat? Chicken free chicken!? Nah jack. Please put chicken in my chicken, but keep that ridiculous Chick'filet pickle off of it.

@Rojeho

When it comes to eating animal flesh it's a case of...

Different strokes for different folks ...each to their own...

For ethical reasons I've been an ovi lacto vegetarian for over 40 years...I have no desire to eat the "flesh" of dead animals ...

However I do like to try out different things, hence why when something new comes on the market ( a new vegetarian or vegan alternative meat produce) I'll try it...

A change is as good as a holiday so they say and I'm all for change :)

KundoBunksperson

@Rojeho said:
    Why fake meat?

If you really want to know, there is a documentary out there called "Earthlings".

Shoshin
    edited September 2018

"Earthlings" Looks like an interesting doco @seeker242 :)

• Please put chicken in my chicken

I don't like quorn. I like Linda McCartney sausages. Chickens and other animals would prefer to be alive. I am an omnivore and flexitarian
    https://greatist.com/eat/flexitarian-diet

I want to eat a more healthy diet to save the world
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowspiracy

My palette has changed. Less need for sugar, salt and processed food. I agree with @Kundo don't be a food fanatic, Buddhist fanatic or chicken fanatic ...

Welcome to zootopia?
    https://vegansamurai.org/tag/animal-rights/

Shoshinperson

I like Linda McCartney sausages

I'm having some for dinner this evening they are baking in the oven this very moment ...I also like the Linda McCartney pies :)

Bunksperson
  • kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

A dash of zany zen -
    someone once asked Issan, "tenzo! We are vegetarians, so we don't kill animals. But we eat carrots and potatoes. What do you think about killing vegetables?"
    Issan replied' well, I definitely think we should kill them before we eat them. "
    From 'essential zen' edited by Kazuaki Tanahashi.

lobsterShoshin

My niece turned me on to these guys You Tube channel. I'm sure they're not for everyone but they did a veggie burger taste test tournament.

The hands down winner was

https://beyondmeat.com/products burger with a follow up test with the impossible burger which is only available at restaurants currently. Which was about a tie.

Basically they were saying that it was shocking how meat like they are.

Shoshin

@Brian has tried the impossible burger, and was relatively impressed....

person

I'm about to try some Linda McCartney vege burgers......

Oops ...Not Linda McCartney's (I pick that brand up at first but decided again it)...I thought I'd try something different so I bought Gardein "The Ultimate Beefless Burger"

It was nice with capsicum mushrooms in garlic pita bread cheese and salad....

lobsterKundo
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2018

For the short time I was vegan, we used to make nut loaf. It was delicious.

I am only 50% vegan ( yesterday had 50% beans and 50% non vegetarian chicks :3 ) However I am discovering that a flexitarian, meat free days, trying veg samosa, felafel, veg burgers etc is delicious for us ahimsa hypocrites ...

and now a message from our sponsors:

Shoshin

@Shoshin said:
    so I bought Gardein "The Ultimate Beefless Burger"

All of their other stuff is good too, I've had it all, hehe =)

Shoshin

I'm going to try one of my favorite recipes with fake chicken and bacon this week, I'll be interested to see if it holds up or not.

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/chicken-club-pasta-salad/

Shoshin

Let us know your thoughts after your taste test :)

person
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I find that a lot of meat alternatives don’t taste exactly like meat, but they do taste pretty good. I’m a 95% vegetarian btw, just sometimes when I’m eating out I will have a hamburger or something.

Shoshin

@Kerome said:
    I find that a lot of meat alternatives don’t taste exactly like meat

Probably on purpose. If they did, a lot of vegetarians would not eat it.

@seeker242 said:

@Kerome said:
    I find that a lot of meat alternatives don’t taste exactly like meat

Probably on purpose. If they did, a lot of vegetarians would not eat it.

Actually, I disagree. I won't eat a vegetarian-meat product unless it tastes almost EXACTLY like meat. Quorn is good at tasting almost exactly like chicken, so I love it. Other pseudo-meat substitutes that bear little resemblance to meat, are less popular.

There are many vegetarians who are vegetarians because they really do not like, or fancy meat.
    Many more vegetarians are vegetarians for other more altruistic and moral reasons. But that doesn't stop them loving meat. And good meat is always tempting.
    So being able to eat a meat substitute that is as like meat in flavour and texture as you could ever get, is a bonus.
    Cruelty-free, but satisfyingly tasty.

Gimme some of dat...!

The guys from GMM in the taste test video I posted had a conspiracy theory that meat like substitutes aren't made meat like to get meat eaters to go vegetarian but to get vegetarians hooked on the taste of meat again.

Think about it... and follow the money. All these fake meat businesses are being secretly funded by big meat. :p

Shoshin

Yes, because those not eating meat for moral and altruistic reasons are so gullible and easily-persuaded...

@federica said:

Cruelty-free, but satisfyingly tasty.

Gimme some of dat...!

Yes...Meals without Squeals :)

@federica said:
    Yes, because those not eating meat for moral and altruistic reasons are so gullible and easily-persuaded...

It's a joke conspiracy. I suppose satire doesn't always come across well in the absence of the subtle verbal and body signals.

No, you're right it doesn't. My bad - that was my similar attempt at humour. (Pause for * lol * )

It's such a bind having to rely on emojis to convey any mood other than rigidly black-and-white serious....

person

@federica said:
    So being able to eat a meat substitute that is as like meat in flavour and texture as you could ever get, is a bonus.

I disagree as do all of the people that I know. =) I tried the impossible burger once. Worst veggie burger I've ever had!

Many more vegetarians are vegetarians for other more altruistic and moral reasons. But that doesn't stop them loving meat.

Many times it does because many don't want to be reminded of a murdered dead body every time they bite their sandwich.

@seeker242 said:

@federica said:

I disagree as do all of the people that I know. =) I tried the impossible burger once. Worst veggie burger I've ever had!

ALL the people that YOU know....? Hmm, a bit of an 'all-embracing' statement...
    :eh:

We obviously move in different circles...

Many more vegetarians are vegetarians for other more altruistic and moral reasons. But that doesn't stop them loving meat.

Many times it does because many don't want to be reminded of a murdered dead body every time they bite their sandwich.

That's the kind of opinion held by vegetarian extremists. I don't associate with extremists of any kind. That way lies intransigence and self-righteousness.

Kundo

Products like the impossible burger are designed for and marketed to non-vegetarians, not to vegetarians.

That's the kind of opinion held by vegetarian extremists

Meat = murder is not an extreme view in vegetarian circles, it's the norm.

Yes, but I am not surrounded by vegetarians who are so vocally graphic. They merely abstain without feeling the need to vocalise their opinions. Shoving opinions of this kind down the throats of others in order to engender guilt trips does nothing but stick in the craw and make companionship unpalatable. I personally don't have time with those who choose to hold others to task, as if totally above reproach themselves.

lobsterKundoHozan

@person said:
    I'm going to try one of my favorite recipes with fake chicken and bacon this week, I'll be interested to see if it holds up or not.

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/chicken-club-pasta-salad/

@Shoshin said:
    Let us know your thoughts after your taste test :)

It was absolutely passable. The bacon flavor was good though not as crispy which in this case is fine as the bacon is mostly for flavor. Chicken doesn't add much flavor but the texture is important, the faux chicken wasn't quite there, I was hoping to get Beyond Meat but they only had Gardein, but it wasn't rubbery. I would call it acceptable. I think I wound up paying 8 or 9 dollars more.

So it was good enough and I can afford the price difference that I'll probably experiment with other dishes and see if I can find Beyond Meat chicken near me.

Shoshin
    edited September 2018

I think for me personally when it comes to mock meats it's a case of there's knowing and there's 'knowing' ...If I think that mock meat tastes like the real thing, that's one kind of knowing ...the other knowing is that it's not the 'real thing' ie, the flesh of another sentient being...so peace of mind (and not piece of flesh) remains.... :)

I can understand @seeker242 point that some vegetarians won't touch the stuff because the taste reminds them of the suffering of animals, ie, the first kind of knowing...

I have one or two non-vegetarian Buddhist friends (most that I know eat animal flesh) who find things like tofu, TVP and other mock meats repulsive, the texture the taste ( especially of tofu ) is a real off put for them...

Both it would seem carry things to the extreme....

Form is Emptiness...Emptiness is Form

person

@person said:

So it was good enough and I can afford the price difference that I'll probably experiment with other dishes and see if I can find Beyond Meat chicken near me.

Awesome...another convert ...Hmm one down 'fill in the blanks'……..to go ;);):lol:

@Shoshin said:

@person said:

Awesome...another convert ...Hmm one down 'fill in the blanks'……..to go ;);):lol:

Well, we're not there quite yet. But you have dibs on the points if I go whole hog... faux hog of course.

Shoshinlobster

@federica said:
    Yes, but I am not surrounded by vegetarians who are so vocally graphic. They merely abstain without feeling the need to vocalise their opinions.

It's not a vocalization, it's a viewpoint. And in ethical vegetarian circles, it's a very common one.

...And this is exactly the type of 'vegetarian' discussion which can lead to frayed nerves, hasty conclusions, sharp words and ultimately, occasionally, a ban.

So quite happy to shut up now, and let you have that last word.

KundoHozan

I find the self righteous, shaming style of some of those with strong views rarely convinces anyone not already generally on board to change their views towards them. In fact I would say the tactic often works in the opposite way, it turns people off and pushes them away. People generally aren't receptive when you come at them with a sharp stick.

KundoHozan

Just to get back on track... this thread is about Meals without Squeals so please let's not make it a Thread full of Dread :)<3

personJeroenHozan
    edited September 2018

@person said:
    I find the self righteous, shaming style of some of those with strong views rarely convinces anyone not already generally on board to change their views towards them. In fact I would say the tactic often works in the opposite way, it turns people off and pushes them away. People generally aren't receptive when you come at them with a sharp stick.

Or they retaliate with fists. I once saw a rabid vegan get the shit slapped out of him for physically pushing away a forkful of meat from someone trying to eat it. Secretly, I applauded the person who slapped the vegan.

I respect everyone’s right to not eat whatever they don’t want to. I am in the process of going vegan myself. But anyone who’s a complete arsehole to others about it will earn a bitchslap from me if they push it. Being a vegan is no excuse to be a *** about it to meat eaters. No excuses.

Hozan

@Shoshin said:
    Just to get back on track... this thread is about Meals without Squeals so please let's not make it a Thread full of Dread :)<3

But it ALWAYS becomes the latter.... some people just can’t help themselves ???

Hmm let's see....

My daily diet mainly consist of vegetables, fruits and nuts...
    So in a nutshell...I guess I'm a vegetarian, fruitarian and I'm also a bit of a nut job :)

federicaHozan