Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Re Straining Sutta

From another thread:

... you have all those sutras at your fingertips! I've learned a lot about the sutras from NB over the years. I'd like to see more of that.

https://becoming-buddha.com/sundari-sutta-the-liberation-of-restraint/

Waz all that about then?

Jason

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Interestingly enough, a coworker basically told me something similar about the importance of integrity (being truthful) and not talking/restraining oneself at work and life in general. A good and arguably universal lesson.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

For me, the importance of this Sutta is about not clinging to being seen as just. The Buddha counsels patience and a repetition of the truth, not a sudden remonstration or a loud gathering. It’s not about a hot response to a tarnished reputation.

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited October 2018

The Pāli for this has 3 gāthā (hymns), while the English has 1. Very interesting. I will look into what the material missing from the English is. It might help contextualize the story.

...or its just some story about another sect trying to mess with the saṃgha and ultimately failing!

I wonder if this fuller translation helps: https://suttacentral.net/ud4.8/en/anandajoti

It seems to be a discourse about lying, dealing with liars, and the consequences of lying.

edited October 2018

@lobster said:
    Waz all that about then?

My favourite "waz all that about" sutta is the class often encountered in the Nāgavagga of the Saṃyuttanikāya.

The Tatiyauposathasutta SN29.10, translation based on Ven Sujāto, I've traded the Englishism of "Dragon" for the Indic "Nāga":

At Sāvatthī. Seated to one side, that mendicant said to the Buddha: “Sir, what is the cause, what is the reason why someone, when their body breaks up, after death, is reborn in the company of the moisture-born nāgāḥ?”

“Mendicant, it’s when someone does both kinds of deeds by body, speech, and mind. And they’ve heard: ‘The moisture-born nāgāḥ are long-lived, beautiful, and very happy.’ They think: ‘If only, when my body breaks up, after death, I would be reborn in the company of the moisture-born nāgāḥ!’ When their body breaks up, after death, they’re reborn in the company of the moisture-born nāgāḥ. This is the cause, this is the reason why someone, when their body breaks up, after death, is reborn in the company of the moisture-born nāgāḥ.”

I want to be long-lived, beautiful, and very happy. Maybe I should become a nāga born of moisture, in the manner of the moulds, mildews, and homemade sourdough starches. Is this Buddhism? Questions, questions...

lobster

Here, I made a fake Buddha quote just for @lobster

At Sāvatthī. Seated to one side, that mendicant said to the Buddha: “Sir, what is the cause, what is the reason why someone, when their body breaks up, after death, is reborn in the company of the egg-born lobsters?”

“Mendicant, it’s when someone does both kinds of deeds by body, speech, and mind. And they’ve heard: ‘The egg-born lobsters are long-lived, beautiful, and very happy.’ They think: ‘If only, when my body breaks up, after death, I would be reborn in the company of the egg-born lobsters!’ When their body breaks up, after death, they’re reborn in the company of the egg-born lobsters. This is the cause, this is the reason why someone, when their body breaks up, after death, is reborn in the company of the egg-born lobsters.”

lobster
  • I take refuge in the Buddha Lobster
    ahem ... start again ...

https://www.urbandharma.org/udharma2/chanting.html

I take refuge in the Maha Lobster Yana
    ... gone wrong again ... no refuge for the wikid ?
    I haven't got a prayer.

Only Manibhadra can save me. Lobster goes to find a pitcher ...

From the beginning of time, sentient beings
    Have broken their vessels, and their lives end.
    But why do they then return home?
    Today, I have broken my vessel.
    But I am abandoning my samsara home
    For the realms of pure pleasure.
    How wonderful is the guru
    If you desire happiness, rely on them.

https://www.tsemrinpoche.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/buddhas-dharma/vajradhara-and-84-mahasiddhas.html