Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Three haikus

adamcrossleyadamcrossley VeteranUK Veteran
edited October 2018 in Arts & Writings

Hello all,

I haven’t written anything in a while, so I thought I’d offer these three haikus. I wrote them today after a thought came to me, ironically, while meditating.

Thoughts of the future,
Just let them go and return
To the here and now.

Don’t dwell in the past.
Come to rest, like a pebble
Dropped into a stream,

In this our true home,
The pure land of the buddhas,
This present moment.

As you might notice, they are very much inspired by Thich Nhat Hanh’s Dharma talks. I also had Bankei in mind, whose refrain is always, “Let go.”

federicaVimalajātipaulyso

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Very nice. I love Haikus....

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

Thank you, @federica. I guess they’re not exactly haikus by the conventional definition. The second one approaches it, but the others lack the imagery and sense of transience, and they all lack the “seasonal word”: e.g. “autumn leaves,” or “winter morning.”

Apparently there are more rules than just 5-7-5.

• paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

great haiku.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@adamcrossley said:
    Thank you, @federica. I guess they’re not exactly haikus by the conventional definition. The second one approaches it, but the others lack the imagery and sense of transience, and they all lack the “seasonal word”: e.g. “autumn leaves,” or “winter morning.”

Apparently there are more rules than just 5-7-5.

Rules should not deter;
    All the seasons in one go?
    Give your heart a voice.

Thus have I (also) heard:

Lines one and three should make sense read together; omitting the 7-syllable line two should not detract from the intent.