Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Discernment and Wisdom

Wisdom is symbolised by Manjushri
http://thubtenchodron.org/2000/08/historical-views-mahayana/

How is discernment best understood/manifested?

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited November 2018

It seems to be really hard to define. My niece once said to me that she wants to be smart about life. That seems to sum it up fairly well.

I like the psychological definition of wisdom, it seems to do the job too.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/wisdom

I always remember this bit from Thich Naht Hahn

In Buddhism all views are wrong views... When you get in touch with reality, you no longer have views, you have wisdom...
    I can't seem to embed the time code, but the phrase is at 5:50

kando
  • kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

After the dreamy weamy pretty pictures his words cut like a diamond don't they! He is also a veteran, to cross with other threads, here.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

By the individual .... ???

• Here in my judgement some excellent previous insights ...
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/14363/judgment-vs-discernment

Also in this context ...
    https://mettarefuge.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/giving-rise-to-discernment.pdf

Wisdom it would seem is knowing or being but discernment is choosing that knowing/wisdom/being ...

Passive wisdom v activated wisdom perhaps ... The difference between a pot of wisdom and knowing where, when and how to pour ...

personkando
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

For me, discernment is about looking deeply. Not taking the surface appearance as fact, but in reality going beyond that to the true state of things.

Wisdom is more the quality of seeing whether something is right or beneficial, knowing how to be or what to do...

kandolobsterShoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Discernment: "Measure it twice, lad; you'll only be cutting it once."

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 2018

Thanks everyone,

I rather liked @Kerome insight ...

I'll tell you in part why I brought this question up. Many years ago Fox, the disreputable comedic channel, released a well edited documentary on how the moon landings had been fabricated. It was completely convincing because no counter arguments, explanations of the 'evidence' was provided. I was astounded that the mentally disturbed conspiracy theorists had convinced 30% of the American public that the moon landings were fake. I had to waste time researching the genuine explanations ... I recently watched an updated 'monkey mockumentary', far more sophisticated. At the moment no counter to this twaddle is easily researchable ...

Lizards, nazi moon bases, space submarines, good and bad angels/demons aliens, free energy, etc etc. If you decide to watch, the methodology they use is providing some facts, some speculation and the 'evidence' of those on drugs, abused or delusional.
    Alternative facts? No. It is high functioning mental delusions. Discrection and discernment needed. Wisdom I would suggest is knowing what not to watch:

• Fake politicians
    • Fake ideology
    • Distractions
    • Our mind being manipulated ...

etc

@Kerome said:
    For me, discernment is about looking deeply. Not taking the surface appearance as fact, but in reality going beyond that to the true state of things.

kando
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I’ve come across this as well with the volunteer work that I do, and it worries me. There seem to be a number of conspiracy theorists out there who invent these stories, and convince people through a mixture of pseudo evidence and psychological tricks. I’ve even come across people who are very interested in truth, who have been seduced by the way this material is presented into thinking that what they are researching is “the truth”.

kandolobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

lobster
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

@lobster said:
    Wisdom is symbolised by Manjushri
    http://thubtenchodron.org/2000/08/historical-views-mahayana/

I think the Heart Sutra does it best:

Śāriputra, none of these dharmas can hit for shit.

-Āryāvalokiteśvarabodhisattvasya prajñāpāramitāhṛdayaṃ (paraphrase)

Shoshinkando
  • Thanks @person
    I found that useful. There is an objective or skeptical thread in dharma. We do not trust our mind, body and emotional tendencies. We try increasingly not to be swept into unskilful behavour ...

That may be another difference. Discernment is a wisdom skill. Don't engage without it. Discernment is not mindfulness, which is non critical or non-choice awareness. It is the sword that is raised to cut through ignorance and dozy thinking ... ?

person