Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Books of Note

KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

HI Sangha,

Every once in a while, a book comes along to make you say "whoa" a la Bill &Ted style. After a particularly trying couple of days I found myself turning to Ancient Wisdom Modern World by HH Dalai Lama. It's 20 years old and still relevant for me.

What are your books of note? The ones to make you sit up and take notice?
???

ShoshinBunks

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Cliche, I know, but I do enjoy Eckhart Tolle', "The Power of Now" and Viktor Frankl's Biography/reminiscence/study of his time in a Concentration Camp ("Man's Search for Meaning") still holds me rapt.

At the risk of sounding controversial, I find HHDL on his own merits, sometimes heavy going, but his book with Howard Cutler, "The Art of Happiness" is one I pick up and enjoy...

KundoJeroen
  • With books, size matters:
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/comment/528356/#Comment_528356

... and now back to the book list ... o:)

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    ...his book with Howard Cutler, "The Art of Happiness" is one I pick up and enjoy...

That's the book that started it all for me.....it's funny but going back and reading it now it is completely different to when I picked it up 9 years ago! Anicca.....

Kundofedericaredapple
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:

That's the book that started it all for me.....it's funny but going back and reading it now it is completely different to when I picked it up 9 years ago! Anicca.....

Me too @Bunks. I thought it was just me ?

Bunks
  • Yesterday I came across a book I did not know I had ...
    A Book of Wisdom and Lies
    A Sufi book, parts of which may come from
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panchatantra
    and the jataka tales the Buddha told ...

KundoJeroen
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2019

I found a book I am very pleased with. Each page a bit of advice rather than arranged in paragraphs going in depth into one bit of advice or concept.

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Don't Take Your LIfe Personally - Ajahn Sumedho, The Sound of Silence - Ajahn Sumedho, The Mind and the Way - Ajahn Sumedho. Being Dharma - Ajahn Chah, Everything Arises, Everything Falls Away - Ajahn Chah. Zen Mind, Beginners Mind Shunryu Suzuki, Not Always So - Shunryu Suzuki.

Those are a few I keep coming back to and learn something new everytime. The Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho books are available for free in e-book format from Forest Sangha Publications.

• Great suggestions guys. I have one called Buddhist Bootcamp, which is similar to @Jeffrey’s suggestion, which offers bite-size pieces of advice on each page. Great to pick up and put down throughout the day.

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Kaydeekay said:
    Great suggestions guys. I have one called Buddhist Bootcamp, which is similar to @Jeffrey’s suggestion, which offers bite-size pieces of advice on each page. Great to pick up and put down throughout the day.

Yes! This chap does a podcast that I occasionally listen to. It’s quite good.

redapple