Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Documentaries

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited November 2018 in General Banter

Any recommendations?

Hozan

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

wear two pairs of underpants.

lobsterHozanShoshinKundo
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

And although it’s not a documentary this is fun and based on a true story

edited December 2018

And this might be interesting for people here... a full length docu on YouTube about the yogi’s of Tibet.

edited December 2018

And today i’ve been watching this... Michael Palin in North Korea

• Thanks @kerome. <3

Finding too many serious documentaries on some listings. Doom and gloom and politics. Yuck as the attached say ;)

Seen the Yogi vid and the Reece Witherspoon film.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes, @Kerome I watched that 2-part documentary when it first came out. Interesting viewing, isn't it?

@federica said:
    Yes, @Kerome I watched that 2-part documentary when it first came out. Interesting viewing, isn't it?

Yes, a whole state where they think very differently, it’s very 1984. It gives you a different appreciation of how human beings are built by parents and teachers. Something like the change of the soviet republics in the early 1990’s must have been a whole internal encounter for generations of Russians.

But the fact that the state still controls so much of the society in North Korea is amazing. They seem to be doing a better job than the soviet planners in their time.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

There is an episode in the Netflix series called Chef's Table which features a Korean Buddhist nun talking about cooking, meditation, life...
    Pure delight...

Unfortunately, I cannot copy the YouTube link, but here is a link discussing this episode:

https://www.eater.com/2017/2/18/14653382/jeong-kwan-buddhist-nun-chefs-table

HozanlobsterVimalajāti
  • @Buddhadragon your excellent recommendation reminded me of the documentary about Jiro ...

HozanBuddhadragonVimalajāti

@lobster said:
    @Buddhadragon your excellent recommendation reminded me of the documentary about Jiro ...

That was an "Aha" moment...
    ??

Hozan

And there’s this one if you havent seen it before

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/25545/wild-wild-country/p1

I always find choosing documentaries a bit difficult because so many of them are either crappy in quality or poorly chosen in subject matter.

This was good though... Crazywise on the confluence of madness and shamanic wisdom

edited December 2018

And I enjoyed this... The Reality of Truth about a journey to find the truth of life involving friends, shamanism and ayahuasca

BuddhadragonHozanBuddha-Dude

@Kerome said:
    And I enjoyed this... The Reality of Truth about a journey to find the truth of live involving friends, shamanism and ayahuasca

Machu Pichu...
    How I love and miss my South American continent...!!
    ❤️

Hozan
  • Thanks for the crazywise documentary recommendation @Kerome
    will check that out ... <3

Some great resources on their site
    https://crazywisefilm.com/resources/

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

I don't know if they would count as documentaries, but the filmmaker Ron Fricke has made, IMO, the two greatest films ever filmed, namely Baraka and it's sequel Samsara.

I think that these are the only two films I would ever consider "required viewing".

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

Samsara is better than Baraka, but that is only because it is newer, and has the benefit of comparatively modernized technology.

@Vimalajāti said:
    I don't know if they would count as documentaries, but the filmmaker Ron Fricke has made, IMO, the two greatest films ever filmed, namely Baraka and it's sequel Samsara.

I think that these are the only two films I would ever consider "required viewing".

I found Baraka on YouTube, seems to be the whole thing. Interesting that it attracted so few views, maybe down to their being no dialogue

It seems to be about the lives of indigineous people, how they seem to be losing their place in a world of globalisation.

Vimalajātilobster

I watched Baraka and am going to have to come back on it’s theme... it’s multi themed even though it has no dialogue, the visual images tell a stranded story which just aims to impact you, you can take away from it what you like.

For me the scenes which made the most lasting impression were the ones with humans like ants, scurrying in masses in underground’s, on pedestrian crossings, in shopping malls...

One documentary I saw recently which really captivated me was “Imagine... Philip Roth Unleashed” about the famous American novelist Philip Roth. It was really good stuff about the novels and their place and time in American history, told in a very engaging manner. It’s a bbc docu, on YouTube in its entirety.

And one that I’d warn against is Zeitgeist on YouTube, it’s very popular but also very populist and poorly researched. Quite a lot of conspiracy theorist fodder in there.

@Buddhadragon said:
    There is an episode in the Netflix series called Chef's Table which features a Korean Buddhist nun talking about cooking, meditation, life...
    Pure delight...

Unfortunately, I cannot copy the YouTube link, but here is a link discussing this episode:

https://www.eater.com/2017/2/18/14653382/jeong-kwan-buddhist-nun-chefs-table

I managed to watch this today, and I have absolutely no shame in admitting that for many parts of the programme, my tears coursed slowly and silently down my cheeks.... I felt myself enviously yearning for such a simple, wonderful perfect life....

And the food...!

lobster
  • Here is one of a Jain strolling in heaven ...

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited December 2018

Sam Harris had director Deeyah Khan on his podcast talking about her films Jihad and the Emmy winning White Right about these hateful ideologies and what to do about them. White Right is on Netflix in the US and UK so I decided to watch it. It has a very human and sincere look into this world and the effects it has on both its victims and its adherents.

Not exactly a documentary. But a sobering article just the same....

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Just watched this Doc on Netflix about internet celebrities. I wanted to hate this world and these people, but it did a really good job showing the human side of it all. I still look at the world of their followers and wonder if is a sign of decline or if I'm just becoming an old curmudgeon. My niblings are into some internet stars like I might have been into Michael Jackson or Prince in my youth and honestly some of the stuff they've introduced me too is pretty funny and entertaining and while they can get seemingly obsessive it doesn't seem at all unhealthy.

• I started watching The American Meme. Did not get very far.

Maybe I am too shallow ...

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2018

Family gathering today and I was recommended and recommend

Unbelievable. They Shall Not Grow Old.

Shoshin
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2018

Searching for Sugar Man.

A working class Detroit musician/construction worker is famous as hell in South Africa and they’ve been looking for him. Good story....Great Music!!

What happend, Miss Simone?

.... Is another one I found interesting. The life of classical pianist/jazz singer/activist Nina Simone.

Both are on Netflix.