Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is Honesty always the best Policy ?

2»

Comments

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

@Buddhadragon I hadn't considered it that deeply, but you are so right. People feel like they have to be right, and take any disagreement as a rejection of not only the idea, but of themselves as well. We're constantly tripping over our own egos...

BuddhadragonHozan
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Buddhadragon said:
    The problem is not two people engaging in an honest exchange of opinions and ideas, if we are able to understand that neither has the absolute truth, and that both speak from different outlooks on the world, walks of life, personal baggage.
    Exchange of ideas should enable both people to come out enrichened from such an exchange.

The problem begins when egos wants to be right and impose their personal viewpoint as the only possible way to view things.
    In my opinion, we should open our minds to the extent that we can entertain opposing ideas without taking them personally, rather than expect our interlocutor to water down their speech.

You're missing the point.
    What people's opinions and viewpoints are, is entirely THEIR problem. How you take what they think, say and do - is yours.

When a person flexes their ego, refuses to back down, and perpetuates an argument because they insist they have a point to make, a view to share and a reply they feel MUST be aired, against better judgement, that doesn't compel anyone to either agree, or put up with it.

Often, people with such entrenched, insistent and strident views eventually find themselves side-lined, ignored and isolated.

But how we digest what people think, say and do, is very much a personal problem, if we cannot learn to rise above such issues and let them lie.
    For good.

I trust I make myself abundantly clear, @Buddhadragon.

personlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Is Honesty always the best Policy ?

Well...To be quite honest...

Oops.......

Kundo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Moderator note:

This thread was closed with the OP's understanding.
    It has been re-opened by a member request and the OP's approval.

Shoshin
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Interactions with people are a good acid test for where we stand in our personal path and the conclusion is invariably the same: the circle opens and closes on ourselves.

In any interaction, there is the element that we can control -ourselves- and the element we have no control over -the other.

We may strive to be grown-up enough as to accept divergent viewpoints when we find ourselves at the receiving end of an honest comment, but we cannot expect our interlocutor to react in the same way when it may be us uttering what we consider to be an honest opinion.

We have no control over how our interlocutor will react at our honesty and least of all, if they will even understand what we meant at all.

That is where Right Speech skills may come handy.
    More than the compassionate wording, the decision that if what I am about to express is at all necessary and how ready is the other person to receive my honest assessment.

I personally think that it should be us doing the personal work and learning to don Shantideva's shoes rather than expecting the world to carpet itself in leather.
    But once again, we can expect so much from ourselves, not from the others.

nakazcidHozanpersonShoshin
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited December 2018

Dan Harris of 10% Happier just had Oren Jay Sofer on his podcast. Oren is a Buddhist teacher who emphasizes nonviolent communication or NVC.

Its a fairly large topic but what I initially took away was that much conflict isn't about basic needs but about the strategies we use to meet those needs, hotlandians and coldlandians for example. The need each of them have in common is the desire to overcome disagreements and have continued positive relationships, what they differ on are the strategies to accomplish that. They could get bogged down on the differences and turn each other into caricatures or they could look deeper and see each others common humanity and try to find a path forward from there.

Shoshin
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2018

I have a personal example here. I am about to lie to my daughter. My partner forgot to put her name on the invitations for her 5th birthday party which was yesterday. The effect was that only a couple kids turned up. 2 cousins, 2 friends from her old school and a kid from class that didn't even know who's party it was but who's Mom just wanted out of her hair for a couple hours.

Poor Ayla didn't know what happened. I just found out that nobody knew who the party was for and why. My spouse is quite upset with herself and doesn't want to let Ayla know what happened for fear of putting more strain on their relationship. I want her to know so that she doesn't think her friends just didn't want to come to her party.

To save both of their feelings I am taking the hit and telling our daughter that I am the one that forgot to out her name on the invites. I'm Daddy so can likely get away with it.

I wonder if this is one if those things that will bite me in the arse down the road.

KundopersonShoshinlobster

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13)

Make it up to your daughter by telling her she can invite her friends to a place in the mall for ice cream, sprinklins and general girlie mayhem....

You did good, @David.....

personShoshinKundolobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

When posts like that come up I never know what to emote.

Insightful, awesome and lol just don't give the impression of just gratitude.

It would be awesome to get a "thanks" option there.

But thanks @Federica

• Zazen1Zazen1 London Explorer

Really great thread! Yes I think right speech and right motivations and intentions are linked in with honesty being the best policy. Is it neccessary? Is it kind? Will it be hurtful? Honesty being the the best policy is nuanced and takes in a lot of factors. Of course in general it is best to be honest but sometimes a situation requires silence, or no comment or something else. Great examples by people on this thread. Great to be here.

Shoshin
  • @Zazen1 said:
    Of course in general it is best to be honest but sometimes a situation requires silence, or no comment or something else.

hi, welcome to something else Newbuddhist ?

Previously @federica said:
    When a person flexes their ego, refuses to back down, and perpetuates an argument because they insist they have a point to make, a view to share and a reply they feel MUST be aired, against better judgement, that doesn't compel anyone to either agree, or put up with it.

I hear there are people like that. :o

In a sense we of a dharmic honesty persuasion are not flexing ego or alter-ego if available. As potential boddhisatva we are ideally not interested in our internal or others persistent or temporary persona ... but something else ... :love:

Often, people with such entrenched, insistent and strident views eventually find themselves side-lined, ignored and isolated.

Ah the karmic naughty corner ;)

But how we digest what people think, say and do, is very much a personal problem, if we cannot learn to rise above such issues and let them lie.
    For good.

Sometimes we have to let people have their temporary lies.
    Baby Jesus compels you.
    Buddha saves you. Or is it the other way around ...

Zazen1

@lobster said: Ah the karmic naughty corner ;)

No.

The karmic naughty bin.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@federica said:

@lobster said: Ah the karmic naughty corner ;)

No.

The karmic naughty bin.

Or perhaps the karmic naughty lobster catching cage?

Shoshin
  • Zazen1Zazen1 London Explorer

@lobster said:

@Zazen1 said:
    Of course in general it is best to be honest but sometimes a situation requires silence, or no comment or something else.

hi, welcome to something else Newbuddhist ?

Previously @federica said:

I hear there are people like that. :o

In a sense we of a dharmic honesty persuasion are not flexing ego or alter-ego if available. As potential boddhisatva we are ideally not interested in our internal or others persistent or temporary persona ... but something else ... :love:

Ah the karmic naughty corner ;)

For good.

Sometimes we have to let people have their temporary lies.
    Baby Jesus compels you.
    Buddha saves you. Or is it the other way around ...

Thank you for the welcome @lobster . Nice to meet you. ☺