Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Advanced Dukkha

I like to suffer as much as the next lay bodhi.
However I prefer choice dukkha. We can choose to unveil our samsaric unfolding to reveal the unrumpled enlightenment. That is how we make a path/dharma friendship.

The Shakyamuni Bodhisattva was a great exemplar. Living and leading into less dukkha and positive being.

Do we choose better quality dukkha as we enable progress?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2018

I think we need to remind ourselves of the intrinsic original meaning of dukka, which is allied with craving and clinging.
    Is this what you're asking about?
    What kind of better quality crving and clinging we subscribe to...?

• Yes, swapping out bad kamic dukkha for dharmic attachments ...

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I suppose it depends on how one approaches it, dharmic attachments could be the raft getting us to the other shore or they could be spiritual materialism, internal attainments, external accomplishments, spiritual knowledge, used to boost our ego and gain status.

In reality, of course, both happen. We need be aware to sort out the pulp from the juice, the yolk from the white, the Aquamen from the Justice League, you get the idea.

lobsterShoshinBuddhalotus
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I'm now finding the Dharma I practice is becoming more and more like a vacuum cleaner...where the attachments actually come in handy...

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@person said:
    ... the yolk from the white, the Aquamen from the Justice League...

I still think Watchmen was the best that Zack Snyder has done, though I’ll admit to not yet having seen Justice League.

lobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@Kerome said:

@person said:

I still think Watchmen was the best that Zack Snyder has done, though I’ll admit to not yet having seen Justice League.

Maybe this is just slightly off topic, but... ?

Jason Momoa can make even Aquaman kind of cool. But in the pantheon of all superheroes, are there any as lame? Especially considering how high profile he is.

Jeroen
  • Dukkha gives us a reason to let go. That is only thing I can think of where we need dukkha.

ShoshinFosdicklobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@person said:

@Kerome said:

@person said:

Maybe this is just slightly off topic, but... ?

Jason Momoa can make even Aquaman kind of cool. But in the pantheon of all superheroes, are there any as lame? Especially considering how high profile he is.

Yeah, but he's the King of Water. And there ain't nobody or nuthin' can exist without that stuff....

I've noticed however, all the Superheroes have a point of angst. There's Dukka for you right there. Ain't nobody dat ain't got no problems. Even superheroes have dukka.

• BuddhalotusBuddhalotus Here and now Explorer
    edited December 2018

@lobster said:
    Do we choose better quality dukkha as we enable progress?

That is an interesting take on dukkha.
    Normally, I would say that dukkha is not a matter of choice, nor that it comes in gradings.
    Dukkha happens.
    But it's true that we may choose to act in ways that will engender less dukkha for us.
    And learn to deal better with dukkha as it happens, as result of our Buddhist practice.
    Either we choose better quality dukkha, or we become quality expert weatherbeaten sufferers...

Shoshinlobster
  • @namarupa said:
    Dukkha gives us a reason to let go.

more dukkha, more letting go ...
    Tee hee! Explains a lot ...

namarupa