Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Happy Humbug ?

2»

Comments

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

Finding it hard to feel the Christmas spirit this year. I work in a school in a deprived area, and I can’t help thinking life would be a lot easier for many parents without it. So much pressure to spend money. And for the kids, it just seems to encourage a consumerist worldview.

But then, it is supposed to be an ethical action to allow others to give gifts to you. It gives them a chance to create good karma.

I’m really considering giving up Christmas though. If my family want to get me a gift, perhaps they can donate to charity. That would make me so much happier than the dread of being given something I don’t need.

Zazen1JeroenVastmindShoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I think that's a good idea. Send out notices in September:

"Dearest insert name here , We are fast approaching the season which is traditionally that of Peace and goodwill to all Mankind... I would be absolutely thrilled to receive a really special gift from you. It's what I would love, above everything else, and will not cost the earth. Hunt high and low for a present you think I would love to have; something that is 'really me' something you think would absolutely fit the bill. Then, look at how much it costs. Then instead of buying it, please donate the money to a charity close to your heart, or to mine, which this year, is insert Charity name here . I would love that above anything else. Thank you so much for your loving kindness and generosity. Oh, by the way, I will in all probability ask this of you next year, too... Love, peace and Goodwill to you, from me. XX"

Note to self: Do this in September 2019...

VastmindLee82
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

That must be difficult @adamcrossley ... here in the Netherlands it is more a religious festival, there is not so much gift giving. The only gifts I am giving are for my parents, for my father I have bought some luxury coffees for example because he is into that.

But I think people should be able to choose whether to give and accept gifts or not, it just makes more sense to allow people to spend the holidays in the way that they like.

Zazen1
  • Merry Christmas NBs.

Zazen1lobsteradamcrossleyShoshin
    edited December 2018

Found this on Pinterest (of course).

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Peace on Earth, in every step.

paulysoZazen1Shoshinlobster
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

beautful drawing.love the vibe....beautitude,is our attitude.

adamcrossley

@paulyso said:

I like particularly like the rabbit and the bird, who are going for refuge to the sangha.

paulyso
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

@adamcrossley said:

@paulyso said:

I like particularly like the rabbit and the bird, who are going for refuge to the sangha.

being peaceful and kind is the beautitude,of christ and buddha that animals can sense.the beauty of art to interprit meaning.

merry christmas everyone,remembering the christ beautitude spirit to share and care

lobster
  • Otherwise gruel and one Skype call will do me.

Thank Baby Jesus, God, Buddha that is all over for another year ...

I hope everyone survived. <3

My sister came over and fortunately brought turkey, ham, gravy, home made stuffing etc. No gruel. I got quite merry on Rioja (a type of berry/grape drink) from Spain. :3 The Skype meeting went well ... or maybe not ... I think I disgraced myself sufficiently to keep everyone laughing and away for another year ... O.o

We played a couple of games, including charades, opened our £5 and £1 presents (based on 'secret Santa' of pooling presents) ... It all went well enough ... What a fuss about nothing ...

JeroenZazen1
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

@lobster said:

Just barely. Spent most of the day contemplating my bathroom decor (or rather, lack thereof.) Oddly, being sick and alone the whole day hardly bothered me.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster said:

Otherwise gruel and one Skype call will do me.

Thank Baby Jesus, God, Buddha that is all over for another year ...

I was busy cooking quiche for everyone half the afternoon, which I brought over to my dad’s place where we were celebrating Christmas. I got introduced to Herbert Grönemeyer’s music, which was quite fun, and after dinner we played Scrabble which my father won easily. It was a merry old time.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I personally find that if you have a Grinch at your table, the whole planned event never comes up quite up to expectations, does it...?

edited December 2018

My biggest resolution this Christmas was to celebrate Vesak Day in the spring.

Zazen1lobster

Family gatherings and whole Christmas cheer done for another year...

@Kerome said:

Yup. We can all go back to being our usual disillusioned, grumpy selves.... ;)

Zazen1
  • Zazen1Zazen1 London Explorer

@federica said:

@Kerome said:

Yup. We can all go back to being our usual disillusioned, grumpy selves.... ;)

In 3, 2,1... ok grumpy reset complete!

Shoshin