Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Technical Thread for NB Members

Zazen1Zazen1 London Explorer

I thought it might be an idea to have a thread for resident experts to share their tech knowledge/ability here. There are lots of things I see people doing here that I would like to learn to do. Things which make posts a little neater and less cumbersome.
I'd like to learn how to quote some of somebodys post but not neccessarily all of it.
Or how do I do one word in a different colour that is a direct link to another thread or article?
I'd be most grateful for any tips/advice.

Buddhalotus

Comments

• Zazen1Zazen1 London Explorer
    edited December 2018

Sorry I meant to post this in general banter and it ended up in philosophy. Maybe I need more tech help than I thought...

Mod note: Moved. :)

federicatom_hitt
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Zazen1 said:
    I thought it might be an idea to have a thread for resident experts to share their tech knowledge/ability here. There are lots of things I see people doing here that I would like to learn to do. Things which make posts a little neater and less cumbersome.

Don't forget our resident tech-Genius and Chief Admin, @Linc, is currently at the sharp end of modifying and improving the MO of the site...

I'd like to learn how to quote some of somebodys post but not neccessarily all of it.

It's simple. You click on 'quote'. The whole post appears in a comment box. You delete or separate (by pressing the return/enter arrow) whatever part of the text you wish to do so, remembering to always have a > at th beginning of the quoted line, like this:

this is quoted, because I included a chevron right at the beginning

This isn't, because I omitted the chevron.

Or how do I do one word in a different colour that is a direct link to another thread or article?
    I'd be most grateful for any tips/advice.

Ok, follow me.

For example, if I want to use the term 'read this' as the link, here's what I do:

I type 'read this'.

I highlight it.

I then go to the page I want to link to.
    I highlight and copy the link in the top address line
    I return to my post.
    I select the 'link' icon above my post.
    I paste the link.
    I click 'ok'.

Your highlighted 'read this' contains the link now.

read this:

Zazen1Vimalajāti
  • Zazen1Zazen1 London Explorer

@federica thank you so much for answering both of my tech questions and for moving my thread to the correct location. Very much appreciated. You are indeed a black belt in the arts of tech. Looking forward to the modifications to the site you refer to above.
    ???

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Just a note... the chevron for quotations should be at the beginning of each paragraph. For example:

here is a sentence which runs on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on for several lines with just a single chevron at the start.

It still quotes correctly. Also after each chevron should be a space, otherwise it won’t get picked up as the start of a quote; for example here i’ll just print a chevron

>

Zazen1Vimalajāti
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2018

Yes. If a paragraph has a new line beginning with a capital letter, it's a good thing to put a chevron at the beginning of the new sentence. It doesn't take much.
    Like this. It's a complete paragraph, but needs the chevron after a 'return'... to demonstrate:

With the chevron before the 'Like this.'...:

Yes. If a paragraph has a new line beginning with a capital letter, it's a good thing to put a chevron at the beginning of the new sentence. It doesn't take much.
    Like this. It's a complete paragraph, but needs the chevron after a 'return'...

Without the chevron before the 'Like this.'...:

Like this. It's a complete paragraph, but needs the chevron after a 'return'...

Zazen1Vimalajāti
  • BuddhalotusBuddhalotus Here and now Explorer

I have a technical question, @federica:

Whenever I type, whether to sign in or to type a comment, I get the red warning that the site might not be safe.

It only happens when I type, not when I just read the threads.

Is it normal?

Yes. @Linc is aware, I 'spoke' to him about it a short while ago; it's something he - as a programmer - has to deal with. It's all because of this European Data Protection brooh-hah, and it just warns you not to share sensitive information, like pin numbers, bank accounts, credit card numbers, ...you know, that kinda stuff...

But he will be dealing with the issue soon.

BuddhalotusZazen1
  • BuddhalotusBuddhalotus Here and now Explorer

Thank you, @federica
    ?