Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Lost before breakfast

There I was - this is a true story, lost before breakfast. I had already missed a night bus by one minute, it was two minutes early and empty. Pah! Luckily I was on retreat only a minute from the bus stop. Time to go back and plan night time getting lost. Yep not using a mobile phone with 'where am I' GPS has its perks.

I had water. A map of sorts. It was dark but I would be back at the latest for brunch. I walked to and around Crystal Palace Park, which I was familiar with. I decided to extend my walk. Ended up in Dulwich, went in some woods. Came out somewhere else, lost.

Oops. Unfamiliar territory, where is that? Is it being in the dark, unknowing? I have been travelling too safely. Knowing my routes. I need a path less well travelled. I need to be a lone rambler, where being lost is part of my rescue plan.

Luckily being in London, directions, busy helpers and signs are everywhere. I was back for non vegan breakfast. Found I was never really lost at all.

personJeffreyBunksyagrJeroennakazcidShoshin

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It’s funny how in the night a place takes on an entirely different aspect to during the daytime. There was a time when I did a few night-time walks around different English cities, I remember the early morning quiet.

lobsterstapeliad
  • yagryagr Veteran

@lobster said:

>

There I was - this is a true story, lost before breakfast. I had already missed a night bus by one minute, it was two minutes early and empty. Pah!

Good luck? Bad Luck? Who can say?

Not quite sure where you were headed to, but it appears that where ever it was, it was your destination that was lost, not you - you knew where to find you the whole time...different versions of 'here' et al.

Unfamiliar territory, where is that? Is it being in the dark, unknowing? I have been >travelling too safely. Knowing my routes. I need a path less well travelled. I need to be >a lone rambler, where being lost is part of my rescue plan.

Sounds a lot like being born into this life. ~huggles~

lobster
  • Not quite sure where you were headed to, but it appears that where ever it was, it was your destination that was lost, not you - you knew where to find you the whole time...different versions of 'here' et al.

LOL
    quite right too <3

We are never lost but constantly find

ourselves

Far shore or near, we end up with mind/heart/body movement ... still.
    In this sense we don't miss the bus. The bus/vehicle is on time for us to miss ...

@person said:
    There are dangers in the unknown to be wary of, but there are also new insights and companions to be found in the unknown and maybe most importantly, growth.

I'm kind of feeling like I need to get a little lost.

Tee hee <3
    You are right. The question is how to get found in lost.
    Where is unfamiliar?

In Dharma, the Buddha traditionally came to several realisations:

Believe it or not I like to be lost in sanity, to the best of my abilities. To put it another way.
    If you only look at where you are lost, what will you find? Refer to Tolkien posted earlier ...

personBuddha-Dude
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@lobster said:
    The question is how to get found in lost.

This question is hitting me pretty hard. It will probably be my koan for a while. The thought that initially comes to me is something Trungpa said, I can't remember it exactly but it was like emptiness or groundlessness is like falling, so we are afraid, but then we realize that there is no place to land.

These all seem profound to me and lol at 9. By the title I'm not sure if he is dismissing them or agreeing with them though.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2018

<3

There is a canopy over the three jewels including us lays.
    It protects by association. Independent of faith, heart or intellect. It grounds and grinds our ego.

Today we had Buddha Burgers and chips. Vegetarian burgers. Delicious. We had banana chocolate. Yum. Salad. Chinese cabbage. Yum.

The Buddha ate whatever was in his bowel.

We are in his-her bowl. Yab-yum.

Stroll on ...
    ???

Buddha-Dude
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

@lobster said:
    There is a canopy over the three jewels including us lays.

It's part of the Thai King's regalia.

• kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

In biological, evolutionary ideas walking is falling, being upright is being at risk! It's why I love to walk, it's also one of the only times my brain works properly. :)<3

personShoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2018

@kando said:
    It's why I love to walk, it's also one of the only times my brain works properly. :)<3

You have a brain that works
    improperly?
    Never trust the brain or what it thinks. Never trust the body and what it wants. Never trust the untrusting ...

May have gone improper lost again ... :3

Jeroen
  • kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

@lobster said:

May have gone improper lost again ... :3

That happened to me once, in Soho. It was very improper I can tell you O.o

federica
  • SE25WallSE25Wall London Explorer

that's my manor, just down the road in sunny south norwood.

• SE25WallSE25Wall London Explorer

nowt zen about sunny south norwood, lol.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@SE25Wall said:
    nowt zen about sunny south norwood, lol.

Zen is whot you make it luv... it ain't the place, it's thePercepshun, ain' it?

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Lost before breakfast

Cushion time before breakfast the self becomes lost...It's a true story :)

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Before breakfast I had 3 mince pies, because the mince pies were going 1 euro to a pack and I succumbed to a couple of packs.

Kundo