Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation Is Like........

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited January 2019 in Meditation

Meditation is like......A form of self medication.... using natural ancient remedies...to help dissolve an unhealthy conditioned state....

Meditation is like...............................

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
    I really love to watch them roll
    No longer riding on the merry-go-round
    I just had to let it go

Shoshinlobster
  • Certainly depends on what one considers to be 'meditation'. Many different types and understandings.
    For me it is sometimes like coming home, sometimes like a refuge, sometimes merely a reminder ... and sometimes something artificial. If the latter then that's the best case. However my delusion seems to be present at a constant level independent of meditation or non-meditation. But it seems as if meditation can help me to become mindful of my delusion.

Shoshinlobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Shoshin said:.... Meditation is like.....

shut up.

ShoshinKundolobster
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@Shoshin said:

Breathing in and out =)

Shoshinlobster
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

@Shoshin said:

nothing but precisely sitting.

Shoshin
  • ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

@Shoshin said:

Surprisingly complicated in it's simplicity.

lobsterShoshin
  • LotusMindLotusMind San Francisco Explorer
    edited January 2019

Meditation is like brushing your teeth only its for your brain...I heard that somewhere before...so I won't take credit for it...

Shoshinlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Meditation is like.....doing a rewarding but unappealing task/chore for some ( finding it hard to find time to fit it in to one's busy schedule...) and for others it has become part and parcel of daily life....like brushing one's teeth .....( thanks for the quote @LotusMind :) )

• Waiting at the dentists office?

Shoshin
    edited January 2019

I gave a lol @Jeffrey ...however you could have meant , when sitting in the dentist's office waiting for your turn ...all sorts of things/thoughts go/flow through one's mind, you never know what to expect ...like meditation ...if this is the case my apologies... then see the lol as awesome instead...but if it was humor then leave things as they are... :)

• Tee hee.

I like the waiting but not for something, no reward or drilling, awareness of delusions and other complex clutter ...
    The mind is like many of the things mentioned ...

Meditation is like when Nothing is left ...

Shoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@lobster said:... Meditation is like when Nothing is left ...

... And everything is revealed....

Shoshin
  • SE25WallSE25Wall London Explorer
    edited January 2019

meditation for me is like seeing into whole other dimensions that i never knew i could see. and the more i do it, the more dimensions are revealed. sounds a bit Star Trek, but it's not, nothing really that esoteric about it, although it often feels that way when doing it.

Shoshin
  • SE25WallSE25Wall London Explorer

i've been trying to train awareness onto awareness and it gets mind-bending lol

When Awareness 'becomes' Aware 'of being' Aware 'that' Awareness 'is' Aware .... "I am" none the wiser... ;);)

@SE25Wall said:
    i've been trying to train awareness onto awareness and it gets mind-bending lol

The way you're going, you might be leaving yourself open for a psychotic episode.
    I'm serious.

Meditation isn't about 'trying' to achieve anything.
    That's grasping at an experience which in fact, is the opposite of 'letting go' and simply viewng Mind.

lobster
  • @ajhayes said:

Surprisingly complicated in it's simplicity.

<3

As we all experience, just sitting is complicated

by us

If only we were not there ...
    Wait ... I think I feel a plan coming on ...

Shoshinajhayes

Meditation is like.....a magical mystery tour coming to take 'me' away ;)

@Shoshin said:
    Meditation is like.....a magical mystery tour coming to take 'me' away ;)

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds....?

(Every time I read the thread title, I get a Bob Marley voice in my head saying "Medee-teishan bee laike...."

Chillin' on a hot sandy beach when all you can see is water, sand and sky....

Kundo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Meditation is like....

A reality check

Shoshinlobster
  • @Kundo said:

Meditation is like....

A reality check

Hi @Kundo,

that's interesting. Could you elaborate?

• paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

meditation is like a multifacit diamond reflecting the multiprism light--source--in you.

meditation is a multifacit tool.many useful tool based on the intention of the moment.one tool reflect.another tool to observe.another tool to concentrate.thank you buddha.

Shoshin
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Meditation is like a big rubber eraser. Apply it to a yin-yang symbol, watch the boundaries disappear.

Shoshinlobster
  • Some useful insights. Thanks everyone. B)

Meditation is like ... focus, attention, concentration right?

Recently I changed from eyes closed, to a concentration on a spot, eyes open meditation.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhyāna_in_Buddhism

Shoshin

I often like sitting with a sort of diffusely focused awareness of the entire visible space around me, assuming that it is a quiet space without a lot of movement in it. Eyes mostly remain unfocused, "gazing into the middle distance", as P.G. Wodehouse might have it.

I think this has been described as "soft sight" in some circles, but I tend to regard it as "just sitting"

When the mind drops away, as it does sometimes, there seems to be no question of focus, or concentration, or of their opposites. Is it even meditation at those times?

lobsterShoshinJeffrey

@Fosdick said:
    When the mind drops away, as it does sometimes, there seems to be no question of focus, or concentration, or of their opposites. Is it even meditation at those times?

yes.just sitting,with passive interaction of sense media,mind follows the intent of the body.it is ,imo,a state of ease.maybe in zen vernacular,abiding in the suchness .or i like to call it natural state .then when the session,is over,the doing or from sitting to walking,is the tricky part for me,to just do.

i have a feeling your a season veteran at various meditation techniques.just sitting is new to me.learning with you.

Meditation is like....becoming familiar with what is...the mind's true nature :)

@paulyso said

i have a feeling your a season veteran

In fact my greatest talent is the ability to make the same mistakes over and over again for years on end. Tread carefully and stay alert.

paulysoKundolobster

@Fosdick , consider the comment Awesome-Lolled....

Fosdick

fosdick,thank you for the advice.it really is meaningful to me.and me too,about making mistakes. =)

Fosdick
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2019

Regarding meditation with open eyes I have heard to warn against having like a mask. I am not sure what that meant. I think they mean like as visible field mask that is distracting you? For my meditation it is usually thoughts that I get caught up in that is more distracting than my visual field. I have been meditating with the eyes open from the very beginning. I never tried closed more than a handful of times. When I found my teacher and her sangha (for me 'esangha') I heard more about the open eyed approach being in the tradition of Milarepa. But individual students vary. For some students meditating on the breath or counting or what have you is great and for some they have a very different reaction.

• Meditation is like ...

• gently sweeping away thoughts (practice of a desert mystic I met) B)
    • non doing (too advanced for me) but the basis of shikantaza =)
    • naked awareness (put your clothes back on - really!) ;)
    • repeating a true word eg. mantra ?
    • conversations you do not have with yourself ?

etc. etc.

Meditation is like......Ah oh here "I" go again :)

Meditation is like...

...No.....

....Thing.....

Kundo
  • AmanakiAmanaki Norway Explorer

@Shoshin said:
    Meditation is like......A form of self medication.... using natural ancient remedies...to help dissolve an unhealthy conditioned state....

blowing out. letting go of self

Shoshin