Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Commenting on peoples vomit

I know I've put this in General Banter when I could have chosen other places, but I just wasn't sure. If it needs to be moved, my apologies, federica.

I've referred back to a the thread on 'honesty being the best policy' quite a bit. Just going through some growing pains with Right Speech et al. Anywho, I recognize that real life examples work best for me and it occurred to me that the last interaction I had might be instructive (for me) if people tell me what they see... places perhaps I would have been better shutting up, superfluous parts, was it a situation best avoided, etc.

So, I was reading a news article that declared "Astronomers discover repeated radio signal'. Under the article were a number of comments and one of them, from a gal named Amy, went like so:

Christ almighty...FRBs are not "repeated radio signals." HUGE difference. Sure, all kinds of possible origins, and technically, extraterrestrial origin can't be ruled out yet...but this is NOT a repetitive radio signal like the clickbait headline would have us believe.

I wanted to respond because some, or all, of the awe and wonder of this might be taken from them because of her cavalier and catty tone. It's just an opinion, but she's using words the average person doesn't and apparently hasn't heard the saying, 'true strength doesn't need self promotion', so she's presenting as if anyone who doesn't know this is so far below her intelligence that it's not even worth talking to them. So, I responded trying to get a message across as kindly as I could. It went like this:

It's the second time ever that we're captured FRB's that were not Earth based. That's pretty cool to me. You and I both know that not only are the overwhelming majority of readers not going to know the difference, but the reporter probably didn't either. We still got the information. You're smart amy, but if you go around resenting the world for not being as smart as you, all that intelligence is going to buy you is misery. Feel free to remind me when I forget. :)

I don't know if I'm asking such a simple question that it should be in general banter, or if it's something others struggle with. Any insight?

personShoshin

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited January 2019

I just happen to watch this YouTube video this morning about the power of intellectual humility and think it is pretty relevant.

Also, I might add that I see this kind of comment on science defense groups. The ones that debunk bad science and pseudoscience like climate change deniers, flat earthers, etc. So your take has merit but I think mixed in there is a defensive attitude towards scientific education.

ShoshinlobsterERose
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I think it is worth treating people with some respect and compassion, you don’t know what their lives have been like up to now, so when I see people getting impatient and swearing, being unkind in word choice and emphasis, I often like to set a good example.

lobsteryagr
  • I don't know if I'm asking such a simple question that it should be in general banter, or if it's something others struggle with. Any insight?

It is an easy question to ask but very difficult to implement without:

• extreme empathy and understanding of the spew
    • patience
    • potentially aggravating a polarity
    • an understanding of sub texts, personal agendas and bias

However the fact that you are attempting to implement such a required service, means the tools will arrive. Service with a smile.
    Iz master plan <3

personFosdickyagr
    edited January 2019

It might be a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't in the anonymity and mass audience of the internet.

You can start with the assumption that you aren't smarter than others (generally) and then get frustrated when some others aren't making the connections and distinctions that you are or talk over others heads and fail to communicate anything. Or you can start with the assumption that you are smarter than others (generally) and talk down to some people because you don't assume that they know or understand what you do or just simplify everything down to the point that nothing new or worthwhile is communicated.

Face to face or with someone you know, you can adjust accordingly. I remember hearing somewhere on the difficulty that super geniuses 160+ have in communicating what they're thinking with the rest world, that it's hard to impossible for people 30 or more points apart in IQ to communicate ideas with each other effectively. The 98th percentile of IQ is 130, so that leaves around 2% of the world that they have any hope of connecting with intellectually.

yagr
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@person said:
    Face to face or with someone you know, you can adjust accordingly. I remember hearing somewhere on the difficulty that super geniuses 160+ have in communicating what they're thinking with the rest world, that it's hard to impossible for people 30 or more points apart in IQ to communicate ideas with each other effectively. The 98th percentile of IQ is 130, so that leaves around 2% of the world that they have any hope of connecting with intellectually.

Tell me about it ;);)

personyagr
    edited January 2019

Commenting on peoples vomit

Anger and or frustration will often cloud reason...and trying to reason with some people in some situations may just add more fuel to the already burning fire of anger/frustration...

@yagr most of the time I find it's best to step over or around another person's vomit, than step directly into it...
    Our own or other people's vomit is often sticky and smelly...it's smell can linger on in the mind, causing one to bring up more vomit...so to speak...

If skill is used for clearing up vomit either by stepping over or around it silently letting it decompose all by itself (this too shall pass ) or by letting the vomiter know how oneself personally deals with vomit that may start to rise in one's own throat... which I personally think you started to do with this first part of your reply/comment...

It's the second time ever that we're captured FRB's that were not Earth based. That's pretty cool to me. You and I both know that not only are the overwhelming majority of readers not going to know the difference, but the reporter probably didn't either. We still got the information.

But this other part...

You're smart amy, but if you go around resenting the world for not being as smart as you, all that intelligence is going to buy you is misery. Feel free to remind me when I forget. :)

...may have added more fuel to Amy's already burning fire....

Bearing in mind that is how I see it, and this approach may not work as well or sit well with others....

person
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly.

person
    edited January 2019

@federica said:
    As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly.

I'd never heard that phrase before, and not to derail the thread but I think it highlights the moral value of disgust. It acts to protect us from harm. Of course it can also be overprotective too, acting when inappropriate. At any rate, my own disgust level is turned down pretty low, but I recognize it's value. Having low disgust also has value in that it allows for the discovery of new and beneficial things, but curiosity also killed the cat, I touch the electric fence and drink the sour smelling milk more often than I reasonably should, I think I'm on life 4 or 5 now.

On a more sweeten side note....

The only vomit I really take pleasure in commenting on and also like the taste of, is Bees Vomit ( some prefer not to call it bees vomit due to the separate stomach it is stored in, but it is regurgitated AKA vomited back up through the proboscis just the same :)...I guess some might find the term vomit revolting) ...

However to be quite honest... people's vomit....don't do much for me .... :)

lobsterpersonJeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It’s just the art of being able to distinguish mental ‘projectile vomit’ from well-considered posts that is quite worthwhile. I’ve found that making the kind of replies that make other people think is difficult, more often we just end up being contrasting opinions which people skim over.

lobsterpersonShoshin