Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Goal oriented vs process oriented

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited January 2019 in Buddhism Today

What motives you? Do you focus on a goal to be achieved to motivate you or do you focus on the process oriented steps you need to take day to day to improve your situation #bettereveryday

A couple short videos

I'm realizing I'm pretty process oriented, I don't really care if I'm meeting some vision or goal. I care if I'm making efforts each dayish to improve the situation.

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited January 2019

Are your eyes mainly on the horizon or on your feet? It's best if we do both, but if you err on the side of the horizon, do you ever lose your footing and stumble or get disheartened and beat yourself up by how far you have to go? If you err on the side of your feet do you ever lose your way or become lackadaisical in your pace because you're happy about all the footsteps you've taken.

adamcrossley
  • As a performing musician I am focused on the process (the performance). The goal is to streamline the process by removing any obstacles that may hinder the performance.

personFosdicklobsterDavid
  • Reminds me @charirama of:

Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it.
    Michelangelo

and now back to the unsculpted sculpted choices ...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I found it interesting that I’ve lately come across some goal oriented thinking which clarified certain things for me in the dharma. This quote in particular:

“Will this, if I do it, contribute to my long-term welfare and happiness?”

If you ask that regularly of yourself, it gives a great deal of insight into habits and the acts we usually do during a day.

lobsteradamcrossley
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I'd have to say both. My goal is to adhere to the process most conducive to our wakefulness.

personlobsterTosh
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Yeah, we need to have an idea of where we're going even in a process oriented approach or we're just wandering randomly in an effective way. And we have to know how to walk effectively in a goal oriented approach or we're just helplessly stuck looking at someplace else we'd rather be and feeling miserable about it.

@lobster said:
    "For thirty years people have been asking me how I reconcile X with Y!
    The truthful answer is that I don't.
    Everything about me is a contradiction and so is everything about everybody else.
    We are made out of oppositions;
    we live between two poles.
    There is a philistine and an aesthete in all of us, and a murderer and a saint.
    You don't reconcile the poles. You just recognize them."

[To Kennety Tynan, 1967]

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Buddhist_Philosophy/Introduction

I think that is a healthy view of our own contradictions and a good way of thinking to find peace within yourself. Also an additional, semi contradictory thought that occurs to me is Sitting Bull's two dogs.

“Inside of me there are two dogs. One is mean and evil and the other is good and they fight each other all the time. When asked which one wins I answer, the one I feed the most.” ― Sitting Bull

Jeroen
  • As we feed one dog to the other, avoiding the cats, quantum state, bull etc we find that the very temporary nature of mind is:

• unreliable
    • variable
    • best avoided

Like many here I am unable to avoid 'my' [hollow laugh] mind. However at times I make better use of it.

For example I don't walk like an Egyptian but try to regularly sit like a Buddha

Bonus off track

person
  • AmanakiAmanaki Norway Explorer

Only this moment is in focus. Not dwelling in the past or worry about future.

lobster
  • @Amanaki said:

This is the ideal state, mindfully attentive and present.
    Every direction is right. Every step is perfecting.

... and now back to the dancing ...

Jeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited January 2019

@Amanaki said:

That is unavoidable, the past and the future are constructs of the mind. Still the 4NT and N8FP are about process and goals.

• ToshTosh Veteran

Both. Identify a goal (like running a marathon). Then work out the process to enable that to happen (the training plan). Then forget about the goal and focus on the plan.

personlobster
  • ToshTosh Veteran

Goal; to be Enlightened. Plan: Live ethically. Practise compassion. Meditate.

You Buddhists are both goal and process orientated. O.o

lobsterpersonShoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2019

Good advice @Tosh

Yiddish proverb
    “We plan, God laughs.”

Thank the Buddhas we have no laughing yidams ... wait ... [failed again] ;)

https://buddhismnow.com/faq/

Tosh