Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Natural medicine

My yoga practice combined with Ayurvedic medicine is going well

Triphala, Brahmi, Ashwagandha are some of the (for me) easily available tonics for family members ...

Next Tulsi ...

Diet has played a huge part. Bircher Muesli nearly every day. Sugar and refined carbohydrates, very limited.
Lots of fruit and veg, herbs, spices etc.

I prefer the proactive eastern model of trying to stay healthy ... to the present western system ...

Right Health is part of Middle Way?

Tara1978

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Thus have I heard:
    "Your Body is your Temple" and a saying aimed particularly at ladies who take pride in their appearance, head to toe:
    "Your hands are tools, your nails are jewels. Treat both accordingly".

Looking fit and healthy on the outside, entails a good deal of maintaining a fit and healthy inside, too.
    As the mind, the body follows. When the body is sick, the mind ails.

It's a not-so-vicious circle, one supports the other, the two flow harmoniously.

Right Health is part of the Middle Way, yes, I would agree.....

Kundolobster
  • I have had some problems with my esophagus. I caught food in it in September and then had a endoscopy scope in November and they had to stretch it out and I have an uncommon condition but it sounds like I am going to be ok from what I've read. But since the November scope I have eaten no dairy or wheat and it has been great for losing weight and also I once went on a wheat restricted diet (not dairy) and it might have helped my mental problems. I'm not sure what they'll say but I think they might send me to an allergist and try to figure out what exactly I am allergic to that is making my esophagus narrow.

• @Jeffrey Could you be part 'hungry ghost'? o:)
    http://hungryghostretreats.org/retreats/being-human/

[must behave]

A lot of mind conditions are triggered by gut health. That is why I am so keen on Birchir Muesli for breakfast. It has oats, fruit and protein from the bacon eh nuts ... if you will pardon the expression.
    I deliberately put this in the diet section because I started to learn how changing the diet can change the mind. @federica mentions this too. Intertwined, interdependent.

Jeffrey
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Natural medicine

...spending time in/with nature....can't really get anymore natural that Mother Nature's remedy...

lobster
  • Looking fit and healthy on the outside, entails a good deal of maintaining a fit and healthy inside, too.
    As the mind, the body follows. When the body is sick, the mind ails.

That is my understanding and experience. Today we ate what we thought were chopped courgettes or okra. Turns out they were the more medicinal bitter gourds ...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momordica_charantia

Turns out that mindless @lobster had mistakenly picked them up at the local hypermarket, whilst in a hurried shopping frenzy. They had then been quickly cooked without due attention.

In traditional medicine of India, different parts of the plant are used as claimed treatments for diabetes (particularly Polypeptide-p, an insulin analogue), and as a stomachic, laxative, antibilious, emetic, anthelmintic agent, for the treatment of cough, respiratory diseases, skin diseases, wounds, ulcer, gout, and rheumatism.

Healing by accident ...
    I'll join ...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

No doubt distracted by the impending pleasure of the seafood aisle...

lobsterKundo
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2019

Diet for me is one way to maintain and improve well being.

What is available/suitable locally? Today I bought blueberries for tomorrows Bircher Muesli, fresh plums may go in too ... Always find freshly chopped (ideally grated) apples and pears with the skin go down well ...

I have discovered packets of organic whole lentils in water are most tasty. Provide that much needed and neglected roughage ...

Onion family (not available to Sangha) are probiotic and life enhancing.

Something new for the salad available ...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalis

We also had homemade Apple strudel, the pastry is a tough call.
    That was very special. A treat.

Oh and here is the traditional way to cook medicinal bitter gourds

• ColinAColinA Explorer

I have been drinking Tulsi tea for a year or so now. I find it very calming and relaxing and good for digestion. I have also looked at modifying my diet and intake to a more natural one due to GERD ( acid reflux).

• ColinAColinA Explorer

The Ayurvedic System you refer to @lobster is relatively new to me so I am looking forward to finding out more.

• @ColinA said:
    The Ayurvedic System you refer to @lobster is relatively new to me so I am looking forward to finding out more.

Hi ColinA
    Welcome to NewBuddhist :)

This might be of interest ...
    https://www.sepalika.com/gerd/acid-reflux-treatment-in-ayurveda/

I know very little but the Buddha and his Sangha ate at
    the Pitta period, i.e., between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., the digestive fire burns the strongest and digestive enzymes are most activated. This is the best time to eat your main meal, as the body is better able to digest and assimilate nutrition from the food.

• ColinAColinA Explorer

@lobster said:

@ColinA said:

Hi ColinA
    Welcome to NewBuddhist :)

This might be of interest ...
    https://www.sepalika.com/gerd/acid-reflux-treatment-in-ayurveda/

I know very little but the Buddha and his Sangha ate at
    the Pitta period, i.e., between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., the digestive fire burns the strongest and digestive enzymes are most activated. This is the best time to eat your main meal, as the body is better able to digest and assimilate nutrition from the food.

Thank you @lobster for both the welcome and the information. I appreciate it.

• @Shoshin said:
    ...spending time in/with nature....can't really get anymore natural that Mother Nature's remedy...

Our body nature flaws are unhealthy and nature provides healing as @Shoshin indicates. Yesterday we had lentil shepherds pie (full disclosure: no sheep herders were harmed) and salad, steamed veg, salad, kale (superfood) etc. Yum. That should set anybody up for a bipedal walk through ...

I am thinking of sprouting again. Lentils, alfafa, brocolli seeds. Maybe I can smoothy it or salad it with a delicious dressing ...
    I needs herb garden ...

JeroenAlex
  • Garlic curry. Yes good for the heart. Yes pods means 4 or 5 bulbs.
    http://www.srilankanrecipes.info/recipes/VegetableDishes/GarlicCurry.aspx

Not being sanghafied, I made my usual veg, garlic, tomato, fish with pasta for everyone. With a green watercress and rocket salad. I used fresh and frozen spinach and tinned chopped tomato.

Tomato is not for everyone (Sangha stricter precepts prohibit). Picky eaters can be a easily misguided ...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_diet

Alex
  • Soup.

Main ingredient water (a natural tonic)

This week we have been having soup.
    This evening we had mostly carrot with three different types of crouton.
    Yesterday minestrone.

Here is a recipe:
    Make a thin oat gruel, add stuff.

In summer you can make cold soups.

Lentils tomorrow ...

Kundo
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Update:
    The Ayurveda medicine has been renamed 'mud' (it looks like sludge) by my family ... making a smoothie with yogurt, banana and a bit of creativity is turning it from morning yuk into an easier experience. Still looks like mud.

Even during winter birchir muesli (just made some with nectarines and pears) is preferred to porridge.

Discovering some wonderful spices such as star anise (over baked vegetables), celery seed over salads.

Stevia (found a really cheap source at Aldi) means you can have health cake as part of your fruity diet ...

Cutting out sugar as much as possible (just don't buy it in processed foods) Bake your own with less sugar/stevia, fruit, more wholemeal flour etc). It is having a knock on effect as others are being influenced ...

You really are eventually what you consume. Cut down on the News.

Medicine Buddha R Us.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster said:
    My yoga practice combined with Ayurvedic medicine is going well

Are you still stretching your way to health @lobster?

Diet has played a huge part. Bircher Muesli nearly every day. Sugar and refined carbohydrates, very limited.
    Lots of fruit and veg, herbs, spices etc.

Sounds very good, I personally love my cheeses so find this kind of diet difficult. I have been eating a banana for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and bean mix for dinner for ages.

I prefer the proactive eastern model of trying to stay healthy ... to the present western system ...

Right Health is part of Middle Way?

I had a thought about this the other day, that if we live other lives after this one then it doesn’t matter very much how long we live. So what exactly is the point in trying to stay healthy? I know it sounds sacrilegious in this age of health-focussed goings on, but really what you get are extra years when you are old and unable to do many things, so why make all that effort to stay healthy?

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran
    edited June 2019

@Kerome said:
    I had a thought about this the other day, that if we live other lives after this one then it doesn’t matter very much how long we live. So what exactly is the point in trying to stay healthy? I know it sounds sacrilegious in this age of health-focussed goings on, but really what you get are extra years when you are old and unable to do many things, so why make all that effort to stay healthy?

I can see your point, but it’s not just extra years as an old person; it can mean extra vitality. My grandpa, one of my heroes, is in his mid seventies and still runs, hikes, and goes sailing. He’s also a Quaker, so his spiritual life has really developed in recent years, now that he’s retired and has more time for it.

And even with multiple lifetimes, we still have to get enlightened at some point, so we might as well practise now and value this life. I don’t know what being reborn is like, but I can’t imagine we just sit down and start meditating again like nothing happened. It’s got to set you back a bit.

Edit: And what if we’re not reborn in the human realm next time...? Better just to crack on, in my opinion.

lobsterperson
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2019

Are you still stretching your way to health @lobster?

Yes.

When we reach and tension sets in. We relax. This is a method. Practice being comfortable in uncomfortable positions. As a puppy Linux user, The Dog is my favourite asana. B)

Hell realms, here we come. Picnic hampers at the ready ... :)

As for the many life fantasy. One life, one present. Dharma now not heaven tomorrow ... pah!

Better just to crack on

Iz plan ...

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2019

Today I reacquainted myself with the fish pose. Which requires ability to do the full lotus. It has taken me a year and a half (no rushing in yoga) to regain a full lotus (not a very good one but it will improve). It is good for piles apparently ...

I really enjoy yoga - that is the key to meditation, exercise, diet, spiritual (un)discipline. Enjoyment.

Unlearn the hardness. Find the softness.