Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Happy MLK Jr. (US)

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited January 2019 in General Banter

While not explicitly Buddhist, MLK Jr. has long inspired me with his spiritually-charged activism and his moral crusade against the deeply-rooted, institutional evils of racism, poverty, militarism, and materialism. His life, more than any other, impressed upon me the important lesson that noncooperation with evil is just as much a moral duty as is cooperation with the good; and we should never forget how truly revolutionary his message and life were.

https://leavesintheforest.blogspot.com/2014/01/happy-mlk-jr-day.html

JeroenShoshinFosdicklobster

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Interesting, there’s a lot I didn’t know about Martin Luther King, Jr.

Here in Europe he is given less attention in schools and public gatherings than in the US, so I suppose it’s expected. But I remember him being talked about and remembered in various snippets in the media.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

I highly recommend The Radical King if you're interested in learning more.

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

MLK is like Jesus - we would all be better off today had he been around longer.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(I can't quite put my finger on why, but that's one of the weirdest things I've read so far....Maybe it was their untimely deaths that propelled things to escalate in the way they did....)

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Both men had much yet to teach us, much yet to do. Their deaths energized their followers perhaps, but at a grave cost. Some of their wisdom died with them, and that is a great pity.