Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thich Nhat Hanh in Vietnam

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I came across this article on his recent state, thought it would interest some here...

http://time.com/5511729/monk-mindfulness-art-of-dying/

The fact that he is now refusing medication and is so frail that even wheelchair trips are limited is an indication that the end is probably near. Wishing him a peaceful passage, and sending much gratitude for his wonderful contributions over the years.

Vastmindtom_hittJeffreyShoshin

Comments

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran
    edited January 2019

I wish that I’d seen and listened to him in person, before it became impossible. But I realise that’s a fairly selfish wish, and the better part of me is just glad that he’s touched so many lives and left us all with such wonderful teachings.

Jeffrey
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2019

As a long time student of his, Ill be pretty blue when he dies. :( . I’m grateful though that I did get to see him at retreat during his last visit to the US. And during that visit, he taught me the ultimate Buddhist Zen teaching...To kill the Buddha. What a hard Koan to teach, hahaha ...I won’t go into the story here again...it’s in the old threads somewhere....Anyway.. May he have a peaceful passing and feel love and comfort from those around him. .Here’s a pot of tea for us all to sip on and when you hear me ring the bell....stop in mindfulness.

☕️ ?? ?

personJeffreyShoshinKundo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I had the privilege of attending a talk given by him, in London. I sat not 10 yards away from him, in a well-lit hall filled with people, and listened as he spoke of harmony, interconnectedness, peace, joy and love.

I remember just one question posed by a portly gentleman, wearing a check pale blue shirt, khaki shorts and round glasses.
    "You say you speak to all people alike. But how do you think what you have said tonight, can be compared to the teachings of Jesus Christ?"
    "Everything I have said tonight, is exactly in tune with Jesus Christ," he replied, to spontaneous and rapturous applause.

It stays with me still, and is an abiding and fond memory.

JeffreyKundo
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Note that the two reports don’t directly contradict eachother, they just seem to be slightly different perspectives. Thay continues to receive Eastern medical treatment and acupuncture, and occasionally comes outside in a wheelchair when the rains stop...

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2019

Thich Nhat Hanh is one of the greatest spiritual teachers of my lifetime. He's pretty much this generation's Buddhist Jesus. He will be greatly missed when he's gone, but we're so lucky to have had him for as long as we did. He's put a lot of good into the world.

federicaadamcrossleyKundo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited January 2019

Thay is an amazing person. His writings drew me to Buddhism (followed by Lama Surya Dad). I to will be sad when his time here ends. I hope he has comfort, and an easy passing.
    ??