Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

In the moment.

AmanakiAmanaki Norway Explorer

Do you live in the present moment?
Or do you cling to the past and worry about the future?

Comments

• AmanakiAmanaki Norway Explorer

@federica said:
    I'm finding that my Life is like an onion. I'm peeling it away layer by layer, and caring/crying less about what I'm shedding, but gradually progressing towards my Core essential, where the true Power lies. I care less and less about my past, and am so much more comfortable in my own skin....
    As Eckhart Tolle says, you can't 'Find yourself' by seeking in the Past. You can only do that by being in the Present....

Yes the onion is a very good description of how the past and future is let go of :) Being in the moment is what make it more happy in life

lobster
  • @Amanaki said:

Neither.

The present moment is made up of past, future and the 'just so' of the present. It also has the layers or perceptive filters, the flaws and facets of the diamond that sparkle ...

The human being is a complex sentience. Able to extend the present into others being. To be aware of change and consequence. It is why I cling to past goodliness and worry the future for more ...

rocala
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I do not think much about either past or future, keeping my focus on the present. But I am aware that my perception of past shapes my mind’s perceptions of the present — for example a friendship is built on past interactions, which shape a connection in the present... it has only a small reality in the present, which is the emotional reaction, and even that is conditioned by the past.

Sometimes when I relax worry about the future comes to visit my mind. I either push it away or focus on it and follow it through to it’s natural conclusion. It is usually not a useful thing, focussing on past chains of thought which I cannot do anything about.

SE25Wall
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Sometimes during a meditation I can be present in THIS moment.
    And sometimes, when off the meditation cushion, I can be briefly in the moment for the flash of a second .. but then some cognitive action or emotional comes along and I get swept up in it and forget about the moment.

As my teacher says "Little bit by little bit", meaning you work at it. And keep on working at it. Without measuring results, but just being committed to the process. Because Buddhism is about process, not results.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

OK, take a deep breath. Nothing special, just a deep breath ... you've done it before. In out ... nothing exhausting or virtuous.

And in the midst of that breath, do your utmost -- your very VERY best -- NOT to live in this moment. C'mon, there's nothing saying you can't bring a bit of common sense -- and perhaps even some humor -- to this old life.

lobster
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited January 2019

Sometimes when I get really overwhelmed I flit back to the past but I try not to stay too long because it’s done and can’t be undone or redone
    ????

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@Amanaki said:

I always live in the present moment... is there any other?

I am not always aware of the present moment but I'm working on it.

lobster
  • ColinAColinA Explorer

@Amanaki said:

I try to live as much as I can in the moment. As somebody who has years of experience I would be very interested to hear your methods/tips for staying in the present as much as possible @Amanaki

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2019

@ColinA said:

@Amanaki said:

I try to live as much as I can in the moment. As somebody who has years of experience I would be very interested to hear your methods/tips for staying in the present as much as possible @Amanaki

@ColinA:
    It may sound like overkill, but I did a weekend retreat once, and I set my phone to ring a bell every 15 minutes. That brought me back to 'Within'.

I have an app on my phone (which I personally prefer over other meditation sites, which are available!) which is simply called 'Meditation timer' (creator Dan Hintz) and has an hourglass as a symbol.
    It's really easy to use (or put it this way - if THIS techno-doofus can program it, anyone can!) and you can program it in different ways, to suit your needs.

Hope this helps...

• ColinAColinA Explorer

@federica said:

@ColinA said:

@Amanaki said:

@ColinA:
    It may sound like overkill, but I did a weekend retreat once, and I set my phone to ring a bell every 15 minutes. That brought me back to 'Within'.

I have an app on my phone (which I personally prefer over other meditation sites, which are available!) which is simply called 'Meditation timer' (creator Dan Hintz) and has an hourglass as a symbol.
    It's really easy to use (or put it this way - if THIS techno-doofus can program it, anyone can!) and you can program it in different ways, to suit your needs.

Hope this helps...

Thank you @federica . Very much appreciated. I will look for that app. ❤

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited January 2019

@Amanaki said:

The body is always in the present moment...so one could say yes the body does...Where else could it live ?

However there's often a sense of the present moment flow...when "I AM" not around...

Hmm well in order for me myself & I to exist ( in the subtle and not so subtle sense) I would have to say yes I do ... in fact one could say "I" hold on for dear life
    After all.... without clinging to the past & future...where would "I" be ????

This elusive present moment... so it's often said
    makes its presence felt when "I AM" put to bed

• ColinAColinA Explorer

Has @Amanaki left the building?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@ColinA said:
    Has @Amanaki left the building?

I think he must have. We can keep discussing the matter naturally until the thread 'fades' and other threads take its place, it doesn't mean the OP necessarily has to be present, or even comment... :)

• ColinAColinA Explorer

Ok. Thanks @federica . ?

• @genkaku said:
    OK, take a deep breath. Nothing special, just a deep breath ... you've done it before. In out ... nothing exhausting or virtuous.

Tee Hee.
    I tries to be good. B) Just not overly ... o:)

And in the midst of that breath, do your utmost -- your very VERY best -- NOT to live in this moment. C'mon, there's nothing saying you can't bring a bit of common sense -- and perhaps even some humor -- to this old life.

I luvs breathing. =)

• @ColinA said:
    Ok. Thanks @federica . ?

Didn't think it was that funny but i'll take the lol @David . ?

"Calmly accept that there are certain things that you will never calmly accept."

(Via a friend of mine's Fb page, otherwise, source unknown.)

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited February 2019

@ColinA said:

@ColinA said:
    Ok. Thanks @federica . ?

Didn't think it was that funny but i'll take the lol @David . ?

Oops. Removed. Must have happened accidentally while scrolling, sorry.

You'll get better more deserved lols.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Shoshin said:

@Amanaki said:

The body is always in the present moment...so one could say yes the body does...Where else could it live ?

However there's often a sense of the present moment flow...when "I AM" not around...

The body, the whole being really, resides in the present, it is only the attention and the thoughts that can cling to the past or worry about the future. Sensory input will always drag you back to the present.

But I think one should make an effort to eliminate clinging to the past and worrying about the future, keeping them at a minimal level so as to allow you to live mindfully in the present. It is tricky especially when you have life changing events coming up to not be drawn to thinking about them.