Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why do you think "letting go" is so difficult ?

2»

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Once you have awoken to the Truth, 'letting go' has already occurred.

The fact that you have attained enlightenment, means that 'Letting go' is a redundant exercise. It's already been done. If you haven't let go, then you cannot be enlightened, and the Truth still eludes you.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@ourself‌

Letting go is just not hanging on to something. It should not be confused with throwing or pushing something away which is actually just another form of attachment..

Letting go of something is about no longer tethering yourself to it.
    When memories arise of people, then just allow these memories there own birth, life and passing on as you would any other phenomena in meditation. No need to do anything more than be a present observer of that unfolding memory. Often with attachments it is a process of watching not only the memory but how we habitually manipulate that incoming data.
    All a practice is in the end, is learning how to stop molesting that data.

upekkaDavid
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited August 2014

@federica said:
    Once you have awoken to the Truth, 'letting go' has already occurred.

The fact that you have attained enlightenment, means that 'Letting go' is a redundant exercise. It's already been done.

this is true for people who have been 'practicing'

some monks are such people

If you haven't let go, then you cannot be enlightened, and the Truth still eludes you.

this is true for awaken lay-people, and for some monks, because there are still things to be done

once awaken to the Truth, only three fetters vanish
    (sakkaya ditti, vicikicca, selabbatha paramasa)

this is applicable to lay people and some monks too

these type of people who has awaken to the Truth first time, has some more work to do

that is to get rid of other seven fetters

(kama-raga, patiga, rupa-raga, arupa-raga, uddcca, mana, abhijja)

a person who has got rid of all 10 fetters canonly be called a Full Enlightened One

He has nothing more to be done

(it is appreciated if someone who knows the translation for pali-words could provide them)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@upekka‌, if you 'supply' Pali words. it is up to you to provide the translation. If you can't, then don't use Pali words. That simple.

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited August 2014

The Ten Fetters (Samyojana), according to the Sutta Pitaka

Self-Illusion (sakkaya-ditthi)
    Doubt(vicikiccha)
    Attachment to mere Rule and Ritual (silabbata-paramaso)
    Sensual Lust (kamacchando, kāma-cchanda)
    Ill-Will (vyapada)
    Craving for Fine-Material Existence (rupa-raga)
    Craving for Immaterial Existence (arupa-raga)
    Conceit (mana)
    Restlessness (uddhaccan)
    Ignorance (avijja).

http://www.trans4mind.com/personal_development/buddhist/fetters.htm

bookworm
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

Letting go of what?

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited August 2014

@Shoshin said:
    Kia Ora,

Sunyata =>Form is Emptiness > Emptiness is Form....So what is there to cling to? and who is doing the letting go ?

Metta Shoshin . :) ..

There are so many questions that would be cleared if the understanding of dependent origination was prioritized.

;) .

Want links?

/Victor

bookwormChaz

@bookworm said:
    Letting go of what?

>

...Of everything you don't need to bring Enlightenment.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Victorious said:

I don't think we'll ever get agreement on DO. ;)

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran
    edited August 2014

@upekka said:
    The Ten Fetters (Samyojana), according to the Sutta Pitaka

Self-Illusion (sakkaya-ditthi)
    Doubt(vicikiccha)
    Attachment to mere Rule and Ritual (silabbata-paramaso)
    Sensual Lust (kamacchando, kāma-cchanda)
    Ill-Will (vyapada)
    Craving for Fine-Material Existence (rupa-raga)
    Craving for Immaterial Existence (arupa-raga)
    Conceit (mana)
    Restlessness (uddhaccan)
    Ignorance (avijja).

http://www.trans4mind.com/personal_development/buddhist/fetters.htm

>

Now these are real things to let go of.

• When we start our journey we carry so much excess. Our pilgrim's sack is almost overflowing. From time to time we discard what is no longer useful and retain what is still needed.

@SpinyNorman said:
    I don't think we'll ever get agreement on DO. ;)

Who needs agreement?

Either the sun goes up or it don't.

;) .

But where's the sun? Out there or in here, or both or neither? ;)

Victorious
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Where isn't the sun?

Victorious
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited August 2014

@how said:

ourself‌

Letting go is just not hanging on to something. It should not be confused with throwing or pushing something away which is actually just another form of attachment..

Letting go of something is about no longer tethering yourself to it.
    When memories arise of people, then just allow these memories there own birth, life and passing on as you would any other phenomena in meditation. No need to do anything more than be a present observer of that unfolding memory. Often with attachments it is a process of watching not only the memory but how we habitually manipulate that incoming data.
    All a practice is in the end, is learning how to stop molesting that data.

Sounds easier than it is for me. When I think of loved ones that have passed it is hard to let the thoughts go without manipulating them because I always feel the need to say "I love you" or figure out what went wrong. There's no guilt or anger or the like but just a deep love.

Letting go of the usual fetters isn't hard once I see them and the material "belongings" is a snap... I neither cling nor throw.

I just seem to feel that letting go of family or friends that have passed is in bad form. Either that or the thought of it frightens me a little bit.

Or I guess it could also be that I feel sometimes it's best to bow to the middle way.

I still could be missing something key right under my nose.

edited August 2014

@SpinyNorman said:
    But where's the sun? Out there or in here, or both or neither? ;)

Practise and find out.

:thumbsup: .

well, given that we are all, apparently 'stardust' the answer lies both inside AND out.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

ourself
    Sounds easier than it is for me.

@ourself

I didn't mean to imply that it was easy to do. In fact to do so, challenges the very karmic inertia that spawned you. From the perspective of self, it is the active dissolving of the very habituated responses which have defined who you are.
    Often profoundly unsettling, this process is usually eased into bit by bit, as each of us are able, as a simple ongoing commitment to a meditation practice.

DavidChazShoshinupekka
  • @ourself said:
    I still could be missing something key right under my nose.

your attachment to loved ones brings the suffering, sadness, feeling is not right, something wrong with this system, why some loved ones had to leave me (piyehi vippayogo) etc.

cause and effect

whatever i have to face now whether it is 'like' or 'dislike' (this is the effect)

i have done something before (this is the cause)

if i do not mindful now and do not do harm to myself or others (skillful in the present moment) (this is the cause)

i would have to face 'something that i do not like' (this will be the effect in future)

so

practice is easy

_do not harm myself or others

do good to me and to others (including nature too)
    _

• @how said:

Often profoundly unsettling, this process is usually eased into bit by bit, as each of us are able, as a simple ongoing commitment to a meditation practice.

and

after having a calm mind

we have to contemplate on Dhamma that we heard and read too

• xabirxabir Veteran
    edited August 2014

@upekka said:
    once one is awaken to the Truth and mindful 'letting go' is not hard
    once one practice 'letting go' to the fullest one is with the Truth always and that one is called Full Enlightened One or Thusness

Indeed :)

Letting go is not by hard will. As much as one wants to, letting go is impossible for one wrought with ignorance, wrong views of self and inherency resulting in clinging to the imputed 'I (subjective agent/perceiver/doer), me, mine (objective ownership)'.

Trying to force away 'attachment' and 'afflictions' via hard will is a result of conceiving self-view -- as if there is a self, a controller that can control things to be the way 'I' want. Dharma seer sees dependent origination. Based on requisite conditions, there is release. Just like an unfit person cannot run far and fast no matter how strong-willed is he as he lacks the requisite condition (a strong body) to run fast, but gradually through training and diet it becomes possible, in fact a strong and fit person does not even need strong will to run fast -- it is natural for a strong person to run fast.

In the case of Dharma, it is through practice, and then awakening and the actualization of wisdom, that letting go simply happens in itself based on those conditions. By perceiving the emptiness of self and things, it is impossible to cling on to them even if one wants to.

Ajahn Amaro: "In short, clinging can’t cling if there is too much wisdom around."

AN 11.2
    PTS: A v 312
    Cetana Sutta: An Act of Will
    translated from the Pali by
    Thanissaro Bhikkhu
    © 1997
    Alternate format: [SuttaReadings.net icon]

"For a person endowed with virtue, consummate in virtue, there is no need for an act of will, 'May freedom from remorse arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that freedom from remorse arises in a person endowed with virtue, consummate in virtue.

"For a person free from remorse, there is no need for an act of will, 'May joy arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that joy arises in a person free from remorse.

"For a joyful person, there is no need for an act of will, 'May rapture arise in me.' It is in the nature of things that rapture arises in a joyful person.

"For a rapturous person, there is no need for an act of will, 'May my body be serene.' It is in the nature of things that a rapturous person grows serene in body.

"For a person serene in body, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I experience pleasure.' It is in the nature of things that a person serene in body experiences pleasure.

"For a person experiencing pleasure, there is no need for an act of will, 'May my mind grow concentrated.' It is in the nature of things that the mind of a person experiencing pleasure grows concentrated.

"For a person whose mind is concentrated, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I know & see things as they actually are.' It is in the nature of things that a person whose mind is concentrated knows & sees things as they actually are.

"For a person who knows & sees things as they actually are, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I feel disenchantment.' It is in the nature of things that a person who knows & sees things as they actually are feels disenchantment.

"For a person who feels disenchantment, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I grow dispassionate.' It is in the nature of things that a person who feels disenchantment grows dispassionate.

"For a dispassionate person, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I realize the knowledge & vision of release.' It is in the nature of things that a dispassionate person realizes the knowledge & vision of release.

"In this way, dispassion has knowledge & vision of release as its purpose, knowledge & vision of release as its reward. Disenchantment has dispassion as its purpose, dispassion as its reward. Knowledge & vision of things as they actually are has disenchantment as its purpose, disenchantment as its reward. Concentration has knowledge & vision of things as they actually are as its purpose, knowledge & vision of things as they actually are as its reward. Pleasure has concentration as its purpose, concentration as its reward. Serenity has pleasure as its purpose, pleasure as its reward. Rapture has serenity as its purpose, serenity as its reward. Joy has rapture as its purpose, rapture as its reward. Freedom from remorse has joy as its purpose, joy as its reward. Skillful virtues have freedom from remorse as their purpose, freedom from remorse as their reward.

"In this way, mental qualities lead on to mental qualities, mental qualities bring mental qualities to their consummation, for the sake of going from the near to the Further Shore."

seeker242

@xabir said:

Yes, the Cetana Sutta says it all really.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an11/an11.002.than.html

xabir
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva
    when practicing deeply the Prajna Paramita
    perceives that all five skandhas are empty
    and is saved from all suffering and distress.

Why is letting go hard? I think because we don't actually know or believe the above! If we still think there is something significant to be obtained from holding onto any of the five skandhas, then it's hard to let go. Once we realize there is nothing significant to be obtained from holding on, then we just naturally let go.

Shoshin
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited August 2014

@seeker242 said:
    Why is letting go hard? I think because we don't actually know or believe the above! If we still think there is something significant to be obtained from holding onto any of the five skandhas, then it's hard to let go. Once we realize there is nothing significant to be obtained from holding on, then we just naturally let go.

"For a person who knows & sees things as they actually are, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I feel disenchantment.' It is in the nature of things that a person who knows & sees things as they actually are feels disenchantment. ie. as impermanent, unsatisfactory and not-self.

"For a person who feels disenchantment, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I grow dispassionate.' It is in the nature of things that a person who feels disenchantment grows dispassionate.

"For a dispassionate person, there is no need for an act of will, 'May I realize the knowledge & vision of release.' It is in the nature of things that a dispassionate person realizes the knowledge & vision of release.

That is seeing things as they are.

"All conditioned things are impermanent" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

"All conditioned things are unsatisfactory" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

"All things are not-self" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

• Dhammapada Verses 277, 278, 279
    Shoshin
  • JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

Gold