Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the sixth extinction?

NamadaNamada Veteran
edited February 2019 in General Banter

75% of flying insects have disappeared, and the number is increasing year by year. If the insects disappear, all life on the planet disappears.
The researchers are not sure what the cause is.
I think we are well on our way to being eradicated faster than we know? I hope I'm wrong of course, but it looks scary for the future generation.

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I read about this in the papers, there had been a general review study done which showed that insect populations were in steep decline. It’s certainly something that will have big knock on effects down the food chain.

I suspect the blame lies with the likes of Monsanto and their single-use seeds and neonicotinoid pesticides. The decay pretty much coincides with the point they started supplying those to the farming communities.

We will have to wait and see what the impact on the food supply is going to be.

But the sixth extinction has been under way for quite a while.

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

My friend has become a member of Extinction Rebellion recently. He was arrested during a peaceful protest on Sunday. I’m a little inspired, although I don’t fancy being arrested.

https://rebellion.earth/

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited February 2019

It's just talk about profit. If green politics becomes more profitable than oil, weapons and plastic, then there will be a change.
    For example, the development of free energy from waves.

Sad to hear that your friend was arrested!

• -2/3 of all wildlife is gone
    -amphibians disappear, scientists do not know the cause?
    -the coral reefs dies and turn white
    -the insects disappear
    -The rain forest is cut down
    -The ice on the north pole melts and the polar bears lose their livelihood.
    -Find plastic in dolphins, fish, birds.

And so on :)

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

They are all different aspects of man’s effect on the planet. Over-hunting, climate change, pesticides, logging, plastic waste dumping. But in reality there are two root causes, one is overpopulation, the other carelessness towards the planet driven by greed. They worsen each other.

However as a single individual it is hard to do very much about it. You are hemmed in by governmental systems, greedy corporations, and hard-to-change laws. At most you can become an activist like @adamcrossley’s friend, but you will have to consider you still need to earn a living somehow.

Fosdick
  • Yes, we are a virus that spreads fast, and we must have food on the table. There is little we can do as a single person. We can live a minimalist lifestyle and spread the message and participate in a party (and be arrested).

It will be like the Bible, with Noah's ark and the great flood that removes all life, maybe I should start building a big boat on a mountain?

edited February 2019

I don’t think it will go that quickly... first thing is certain foods will get more expensive or disappear from the supermarkets, there will be more pressure from governments to recycle waste, and animals will become more rare. This will go on for a long time, I think in 200 years humans will still be eating from selections of food from supermarkets.

Climate change is a big deal but on a global scale it will end up displacing maybe 10% of the world’s population of humans. It will cause major housing shortages in some places and a lot of localised problems in places such as Florida. Expect to see more refugees, camps and maybe a few wars.

The really bad stuff such as large-scale famines and civilisation breakdown will only happen if we get a collapse in topsoil functioning in large areas around the globe, for example if a pesticide comes along which kills earthworms. These aereate the soil and without them plants like potatoes and wheat have a really hard time growing.

But there will be increasing urbanisation, more pressure on wilderness areas, fewer wild animals, especially fewer apex predators. And more people.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Capitalism is the proximate cause of this, as well as the broader environmental degradation, habitat destruction, and overconsumption that's causing other extinctions. A system built on greed and the need for accumulation for accumulation's sake isn't sustainable. Growth for the sake of growth isn't sustainable. Private property rights that lead to a severing of our collective ownership, control, and responsibility over the environment aren't sustainable. A system that makes it the individual's concern while the system collectively pollutes and devastates in the name of profit isn't sustainable. We need a collective solution with a view towards our collective needs rather than one towards individual/corporate benefit.

federicaadamcrossley
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Sumphin's gotta givv.....

• JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

AKA impermanence.

• JaySon, what do you mean by impermanence? Impermanence is a broad expression..

• I was sent this talk today. Seems relevant ...

Fosdick
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Thanks @lobster . I filched it and posted it on Facebook. to the public view....

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran
    edited February 2019

@Kerome said:
    as a single individual it is hard to do very much about it

Makes me wonder what we as a sangha can do about it. Is there something for NewBuddhist.com to do?

I’m going to investigate Buddhist climate activism. It would be amazing if we could do something together.

federica