Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Crazy but following Dharma

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited March 2019 in Buddhism Today

From another thread :

Being crazy is not an obstacle to up-taking dharma. Nor is being a douche/troll/cushion hoarder/fish hater/drugee/dying/terminally alive etc.

Dear Friends,

We all start in different places. Some places are very hard BUT that is where and who our situation is ... It is why we have compassion/empathy/non judgement. Some of us have no compassion or time for a particular dharma/expression/karmic crazy. However The Truth (remember her) comes in many forms but only one certainty. Uncertainty.

On the whole I manage to stay on the sanity side of the Middle Way but I like to cross over and take a walk on the wild side.

https://cundi.weebly.com/crazies.html

How grounded must we be? ... and if not?

Ji Gong

paulysopersonZenshin

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Crazy but following Dharma

Mental Awareness Disorder

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

“that stone Buddha deserves all the
    birdshit it gets
    I wave my skinny arms like a tall
    flower in the wind”
    ― Ikkyu, Crow with No Mouth

I think it depends on one’s nature... some people are served by being very grounded, other people can lift off and fly high. But I think it helps to come across something very earthy once in a while, to smile about it and be reminded the birdshit is inevitable and someone has to clean it :)

lobsterVastmind
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

@lobster said:
    From another thread :

Being crazy is not an obstacle to up-taking dharma. Nor is being a douche/troll/cushion hoarder/fish hater/drugee/dying/terminally alive etc.

Dear Friends

On the whole I manage to stay on the sanity side of the Middle Way but I like to cross over and take a walk on the wild side.
    How grounded must we be? ... and if not?

different walks of life are amongs us.different but same.sometimes they open the heart of compassion.if we give the time and see beyond the "crazy" role,they teach us about our humanity.

we are all wired different.but we all having something to offer.creativity and crazy is somewhat intertwine.artist,comedians,actors serve as a mirror.makes us think,makes us laugh.

now as a dharmaist, i try to find balance with highminded creativity and familiar ground. it is def. a pendelom swing.so my approach is within reason.a time to express and a time to be serious with lifes demands.so far this balance is going ok.

lobster

on another note, stimulant,coffee,smokes,soda jacks up my "crazy"side.

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

If there is no stone buddha, what does the shit stick to @Kerome?

lobster, sometimes i encounter people who feels me.some laugh,some smile.my theory the spirit of truth inform them.a while back waiting in line a woman said you are so bless. i said thank you.maybe bodhisatvas walk among us.our kin,who knows?but makes life crazy auspicious.

lobster
  • @paulyso said:
    maybe bodhisatvas walk among us.our kin,who knows?but makes life crazy auspicious.

Exactly so. Do not go by the form, it is empty. The Bodhi of Khrist, the Buddha Mahdi, the Gnostics of Science, the Drunken Masters, the Daka Dakini, the Withards of Oz, are amonst us. Kin.
    http://www.cyber-shaktipat.org/relax/beyond/

paulyso

How grounded must we be? ...

Grounded enough not to take one's thoughts too seriously...become selective & creative with what thoughts to act on ...and what not

and if not?

There are no ifs buts or nots...The mind will be tied up in [k]nots if thoughts are allowed to have their own way ....

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Traveller said:
    If there is no stone buddha, what does the shit stick to @Kerome?

Without a convenient stone Buddha to sit on, the droppings will probably be spread over a large area, including some hitting people! Obviously having a stone Buddha and a professional shit-cleaner is far superior...

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    edited March 2019

It was a reference to the sixth patriach's gatha that got him the robe and the bowl, no one got it. :(

It's nearly spring but the plums aren't ripe yet, must be the cold weather here in europe. :awesome:

Guess I'm not as clever as I think I am. Off to play some Xbox, those noobs won't gank themselves.

lobster
  • JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

Crazy is living your life with the concept of inherent existence. shrugs

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

...Who said that...? :scream:

Zenshin

The merely imputed I, the empty I. Definitely not the inherently existent I because the inherently existent I doesn't exist and is the object to be refuted, while the merely imputed I, the empty I, the I existing in name only did say that :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Well, thanks for clearing that up.... :D

JaySonVastmind
  • Kinship, Kingship, Queening it, Maitri, Friendship ...

Here is some lovely crazy old guy ...
    https://www.dalailama.com/videos/conference-on-the-concept-of-maitri-loving-kindness-in-buddhism-inaugural-address

I came across someone the other day who had been a buddhist for quite a long time but then had a psychotic episode where first she started seeing buddha’s everwhere, imagined she was a high reincarnated lama and all kinds of things... then the psychosis went bad... and in the end after several months on a psychiatric ward she couldn’t stand Buddhism or spirituality anymore. What started out as a beautiful experience had turned very sour.

So it just goes to show... what is spiritual and what is mad? It is a thin line.

@Kerome said:
    I came across someone the other day who had been a buddhist for quite a long time but then had a psychotic episode where first she started seeing buddha’s everwhere, imagined she was a high reincarnated lama and all kinds of things... then the psychosis went bad... and in the end after several months on a psychiatric ward she couldn’t stand Buddhism or spirituality anymore. What started out as a beautiful experience had turned very sour.

So it just goes to show... what is spiritual and what is mad? It is a thin line.

I would venture to suggest there is more to the 'story' than this... family history, personal previous history, influences, personal environment... It's probably a lot of different things contributing... and often, people turn to a religion or vocation as an infill for something that is either lacking or as a replacement for a previous objective....

lobsterJaySon
  • So it just goes to show... what is spiritual and what is mad? It is a thin line.

Madness is delusion in samsara. The spiritual is reality but not always in appearance. The lines can become blurred. Most of us need grounding, sound egos and then we have a base.

Here is one such heretic
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drukpa_Kunley

Outwardly I'm a fool
    and inwardly I live with a clear spiritual system.
    Outwardly, I enjoy wine, women and song.

JeroenKundoJaySon

@lobster said:
    Outwardly I'm a fool
    and inwardly I live with a clear spiritual system.

There is some truth in that, that you can appear outwardly very spiritual like my acquaintance, and inwardly have completely lost the plot, following impulses that lead nowhere. As long as your inner compass is sound, it doesn’t matter so much what you look like outwardly. However, it may take some very refined judgment to sort out the real fools from those who are merely dancing to a different music.

lobster

@Kerome said:

I like how the Dalai Lama has steered toward science, logic, and reasoning in this age.

“If scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."

He explores Buddhist practice with renowned scientists and psychologists in Destructive Emotions: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama.

He basically says that cultivating Love and Compassion is universal and has no downsides and can be grown limitlessly.

For anyone who fears the mystical or has a tendency to drift off into space, they could make their lifelong practice the cultivation of Love and Compassion and see no adverse effects, only positive ones.

Growing up, my parents went to a Unity church (New Age) where logic and reason seem to be thrown out the window. I find that irresponsible and dangerous.

I think the Indo-Tibetan traditions have it right, though, by guarding the more esoteric teachings from those who don't have the capacity to practice them.

lobsterJeffreyRowan1980
  • For anyone who fears the mystical or has a tendency to drift off into space, they could make their lifelong practice the cultivation of Love and Compassion and see no adverse effects, only positive ones.

Ah ha! A plan! <3

A good plan I might add ...
    Head and Heart. I'll join ... <3

• It's nearly spring but the plums aren't ripe yet, must be the cold weather here in europe.

Must Be.

Guess I'm not as clever as I think I am.

We can not think ourselves clever but we can love ourselves sane. Love is crazy, how clever is that?

Spring on the plums.
    Ouch!
    Winter Summers.
    Form drifts.
    Flowers are the Crazy-Shun
    ?

Zenshin