Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is it this simple?

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Any speech, thought or bodily action that creates a peaceful mind is Dhamma.

Any speech, thought or bodily action that creates an un-peaceful mind is not Dhamma.

Is it that simple?

ShoshinpaulysoKundo

Comments

• There might be more to it like short term or long term. Like 1 beer makes a peaceful feeling but it can make it more likely to drink 6 beers and wake up feeling ill. So the first beer lead to peace but also lead to more ill feeling in the longer run.

Also what if you see someone out your window car stuck in the snow and you are cozy in your pajamas? Do you get dressed and help them even though you are feeling very peaceful?

Bunksadamcrossleyperson
  • @Bunks said:
    Is it that simple?

Yes. (phew that was simple) B)

BunksKundo
  • ERoseERose Earth, North America, west. Explorer
    edited March 2019

I think what leads to extinguishment of the poisons is Dhamma; the poisons are greed, anger/hate, delusion.
    https://suttacentral.net/mn19/en/sujato Two kinds of Thought MN 19 might be inspiring.

personBunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited March 2019

@Bunks said:
    Any speech, thought or bodily action that creates an un-peaceful mind is not Dhamma.

Is it that simple?

I am actually not that sure... it sounds like avoiding if you just try to create a peaceful mind that way. One has to honestly and mindfully face conflict situations as well.

The Three Poisons are also stated as desire, avoidance and ignorance.

VastmindBunks
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

@Bunks said:

Is it that simple?

bunks,if you framed the dhamma as the way--instruction--then you (me,we) are on the way.

the spirit of the letter:less is best.less stress,more bless.

yes right intention.direct the mind towards peace of mind. there is still theravada in me. =)

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

As others have said, the Dharma is about uprooting the 3 poisons. It is possible through meditation to bring about states of peace and well being that don't root out those things, so I think there is more to it than that.

Vastmind

@person said:
    As others have said, the Dharma is about uprooting the 3 poisons. It is possible through meditation to bring about states of peace and well being that don't root out those things, so I think there is more to it than that.

person,my point of view,in the context of theravada, begin with broad issue,then specific around dukkha.from gross to subtle issue about mental states.

my thinking is cessation on the issue of dukkha and prevent compounded further dukkha. of course,for those whose milage has been years,the dhamma becomes refined in addressing the subtle dukkha.

little by little adds up. simple advise from bunks is good portion for me.

person

i also recollect,in my sutta studies,buddha advise to prevent the arrising of negative states and develop positive states as the basis of training the mind towards unbinding,framed within nibbana.

person
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited March 2019

@paulyso said:
    simple advise from bunks is good portion for me.

Different people require different advice... the Buddha also gave different teachings to different seekers so we shouldn’t be surprised about this. For me peace has also been an important component, but the Three Poisons rang a bell with me as a deeper teaching.

lobsterperson
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran
    edited March 2019

@Bunks said:

Is it that simple?

I think yes, it could be, given that harmful actions tend to produce un-peaceful mindstates. I think the ethical life, lived according to the Dharma, probably leads to a peaceful mind. Not to mention meditation and mindfulness—they seem to help too.

I’ve read that there’s a risk, however, of getting into a peaceful state and enjoying it so much that one confuses it with the end of the Path.

lobsterperson
  • I’ve read that there’s a risk, however, of getting into a peaceful state and enjoying it so much that one confuses it with the end of the Path.

Indeed.

Many of us experience peace, happiness or my favourite 'bliss'. However they are temporary arisings. In one sense we can increase our alignment or resonance with these more encouraging and confirming states but they are more subtle and seductive attachments ...

Vastmindperson

@Kerome said:

@paulyso said:
    simple advise from bunks is good portion for me.

Different people require different advice... the Buddha also gave different teachings to different seekers so we shouldn’t be surprised about this. For me peace has also been an important component, but the Three Poisons rang a bell with me as a deeper teaching.

very true kerome.

the first hearers of buddha were professional yogis,his five.so they were familiar with mental ascetics.buddha just tweaked it...middle way.but we are laypeople.so we do this dhamma part time.

it's to each our own,kamma, how we grow in dhamma. nibbana....can be absent of baggages as we lighten the load along the way.

got to go to work.

lobster
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:

Is it that simple?

I think yes, it can be. But for some reason people aren't happy with teachings of any path unless it's difficult/challenging. Human nature I guess.

lobsterShoshin
  • People are different.

We can simplify our being. Lose the peaceless pieces.

Clear your Mind. Purify your emotions. Better your Being. Usual plan ...

Bunks
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Bunks said:

Is it that simple?

~Twin Verses Dhammapada~...

It 'is' that simple ......but easier said than done, when it comes to the nitty gritty parts,ie, untangling & rewiring those pesky neuropathways, that seem to prefer the negative by default... :)

BunkslobsterVastmind