Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Favorite Dalai Lama stuff

yoda_sodayoda_soda Dagobah Explorer

Hi everyone, what are your favorite Dalai Lama things? Share all your books, YouTube clips, quotes, pics, or whatever. What do you find inspiring? What makes you laugh? What do you find elucidating?

Shoshin

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

lobsteryoda_sodaJeroenadamcrossley
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2019

(Paraphrasing) "How come I can't remember my previous incarnation?! I can't remember everything about this life - I can't even remember everything I did last week! Why then, should I remember a past life?!"

• yoda_sodayoda_soda Dagobah Explorer

I'll share some of mine:

Compassion & Technology
    [Some extremely interesting content here, very relevant to today's world]

On Death
    [You just feel better already with this one]

On Rebirth
    [This is from the Mind & Life Dialogues with scientists, very interesting stuff]

On the Bodhicaryavatara
    [In case anyone doubts that he has a deep understanding of his own tradition... he's a smart dude really]

Ethics for the New Millenium
    [Excellent summary in accessible form of Buddhist thought]
    https://www.amazon.com/Ethics-New-Millennium-Dalai-Lama/dp/1573228834

Shoshin
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I <3 HHDL. His book "Ancient Wisdom For Modern Times" is a staple for me. I can also recommend "The Essential Dalai Lama" and "How To Practise"

???

yoda_sodaShoshin

@lobster What a design!

• Indeed.

The Dalai is well designed. ;)

lobster

@Shoshin Double Dalai.

• paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

does salvador dali count?who said--paraphrase--the difference between a madman and me:is i'm not mad!

but seriously,i have a photo of dalai lama laughing captured moment,assuming at a lectured talk, given to me,when i asked for one by a friend.

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Two things I like best:

One is a story Sharon Salzberg wrote about. The Dalai Lama took a tour of a Catholic monastery, observing how they made cheese and fruitcake to support the monastery. At the end of the tour, he was giving a taste of the cheese. She says that as he told this story, he ended it with "But what I REALLY wanted was a piece of the fruitcake" .. where upon he dissolved into laughter.
    (here is someone who can laugh at his desire, without being hooked by it).

The other one has no moral .. it is just a video that amuses me:

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Is Buddhism the last honest religion? ...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2019

No.
    Buddhism has always been the first honest religion.

Kundo

lobster
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    No.
    Buddhism has always been the first honest religion.

Truth!!