Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Give your hardest question! :D

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

Challenge Accepted!
Everything is easy!
Give me your hardest question

Ready, set, go!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Imagine you’re in a room, 15 feet by eight, and 9 feet high. Where the floor meets the wall, there is an inch gap. Through this gap, water is seeping in, and the room is filling up with water quickly. There are no windows, and the door is barred and locked.

How do you get out?

AlexJeroen
  • Give your hardest question!

That is easy.
    What is your answer?

pegembara
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

Where did the first atom come from ?
    Explain infinity ?

• AlexAlex UK Veteran
    edited April 2019

Ps when you say “give me your hardest question”.......everything I’m reading suggests that there is no ‘me’.......??

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@federica said:
    Imagine you’re in a room, 15 feet by eight, and 9 feet high. Where the floor meets the wall, there is an inch gap. Through this gap, water is seeping in, and the room is filling up with water quickly. There are no windows, and the door is barred and locked.

How do you get out?

This is a genuine exam question during an Existential Psychology exam a friend of mine sat....
    One person apparently wrote 5 sides of paper in answer. My friend wrote 2 words.

Alex
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@federica said:

@federica said:

How do you get out?

This is a genuine exam question during an Existential Psychology exam a friend of mine sat....
    One person apparently wrote 5 sides of paper in answer. My friend wrote 2 words.

It’s interesting because you could write quite a lot detailing your state of mind while the room filled with water. The encounter with the fear of death is very much an existential question.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Explain “what is truth?” Without falling into tautology or using synonyms.

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran
    edited April 2019

Do all religions and spiritual paths lead to the same destination?

@federica, you’ve got to tell us those two words, please.

Alexperson
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@sova said:
    Challenge Accepted!
    Everything is easy!

Ready, set, go!

Why ?

Vastmindpegembara

@adamcrossley said:
    Do all religions and spiritual paths lead to the same destination?

@federica, you’ve got to tell us those two words, please.

Well, I shall, but ... can anyone work the answer out...?.

@federica said:
    How do you get out?

“I die.”

??

Nope. It's much simpler than that.
    The clue is in the question.

edited April 2019

My only thought is that if there’s an inch gap between the walls and the floor, then you could just lift up the walls and walk out. But I highly doubt this is the answer.

I leave it for other minds to solve.

You're absolutely right!

...It's not the answer.... :p

adamcrossley

Ok, like I said, the answer's much simpler... and the clue is in the question.

How do you get out?

The guy with the 5-page answer wrote an extraordinary thesis-within-a-response, and gained 40 marks for it.
    My friend's 2-word response got 75.

Bear in mind this is an Existential Psychology exam.

her reply?

"Stop imagining."

adamcrossleyAlex

That is genius. Much respect to your friend ?

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

@Kerome said:

truth is not a what
    and cannot be explained in such a way

truth is an abiding
    the telescoping mirror of spacetime
    refracts endlessly over the nonessential
    synthesize all times into one
    by abiding in the state of truth

@Alex said:
    Where did the first atom come from ?
    Explain infinity ?

where does a circle start?
    for webs of ceaseless indication
    there is not a simple point of entry
    but the point of exit
    lives well within

Alex

@sova said:
    Challenge Accepted!
    Everything is easy!

Ready, set, go!

What makes you think you're so clever that you can potentially humiliate others?

VastmindKundo
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

You want to buy a baseball and baseball bat. The baseball bat is exactly $1 more than the baseball. Together their price totals $1.10, how much do they each cost respectively?

There is a pond with a single lily pad on it, each day the number of lily pads double. 2 on the second day, 4 on the third, 8 on the 4th, etc. If it takes 30 days for the entire pond to be covered by lily pads, on which day is the pond half covered by lily pads?

• @federica how about "I'm a mouse and I go through the gap"?

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

@person said:
    You want to buy a baseball and baseball bat. The baseball bat is exactly $1 more than the baseball. Together their price totals $1.10, how much do they each cost respectively?

There is a pond with a single lily pad on it, each day the number of lily pads double. 2 on the second day, 4 on the third, 8 on the 4th, etc. If it takes 30 days for the entire pond to be covered by lily pads, on which day is the pond half covered by lily pads?

5 cents and 1.05

and

day 29

But i was hoping more for questions that allude to fresh information on reality

personAlex
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

How do they get the ships inside the bottles?

adamcrossley
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

What is consciousness and where does it come from?

@person said:
    What is consciousness and where does it come from?

Same place as unconsciousness, but in the day time.... :D

@sova said: ...But i was hoping more for questions that allude to fresh information on reality

Then perhaps you should have clarified before presuming everyone would take the question as you intended.
    I quite like these quizzical conundrums actually...

@Bunks said:

I happen to know this....

@Jeffrey said:
    @federica how about "I'm a mouse and I go through the gap"?

(I gave the response further up.)
    But that would be a good probable response!

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited April 2019

@federica said:

@Bunks said:

@sova said:
    Challenge Accepted!
    Everything is easy!

Ready, set, go!

As far as I am concerned the most difficult questions about reality for me were all stated as unanswerable by the Buddha.

So I don’t think you’ll be able to help me.

Thanks anyway! ???

lobsterKundoadamcrossley
  • Exactly @Bunks

The imponderables are for those playing with their minds and karma. The Buddha provided three solutions: Himself, his teachings and the community.

Answers. Not questions for this crustacean please ... so easy it seems hard ...

• Next question: Why was the Alexandrian library burned?

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited April 2019

WHY?

I went to the back of the hall, sat outside, and had a deep, peaceful meditation. After coming out of my meditation I thought I would check out how Ajahn Chah was, to see if I could help him. Walking from the hall to the sauna, I saw he was already finished and was walking in the opposite direction with a couple of Thai lay people.

Ajahn Chah took one look at me, saw that I'd been in a deep meditation, and he said, "Brahmavamso, Why?"

I was completely surprised and confused, and replied, "I don't know".

Afterwards he said, "If anyone ever asks you that question again, the correct answer is, 'There is nothing'".

https://www.dhammatalks.net/Books3/Ajahn_Brahm_The_Ending_of_Things.htm

OR

What is the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything?
    The answer is not 42.

lobsterBunks
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

What is the purpose of the OP?

@Kundo said:
    What is the purpose of the OP?

Well it's worked so far.... :D

lobster

@federica said:

@Bunks said:

@Bunks - are you asking us to quiz or are you asking us for info...?

In other words, do you know, or do you want to know...?

@Jeffrey said:
    Next question: Why was the Alexandrian library burned?

It wasn't.

Despite the widespread modern belief that the Library was "burned" once and cataclysmically destroyed, the Library actually declined gradually over the course of several centuries, starting with the purging of intellectuals from Alexandria in 145 BC during the reign of Ptolemy VIII Physcon, which resulted in Aristarchus of Samothrace, the head librarian, resigning from his position and exiling himself to Cyprus. Many other scholars, including Dionysius Thrax and Apollodorus of Athens, fled to other cities, where they continued teaching and conducting scholarship. The Library, or part of its collection, was accidentally burned by Julius Caesar during his civil war in 48 BC, but it is unclear how much was actually destroyed and it seems to have either survived or been rebuilt shortly thereafter; the geographer Strabo mentions having visited the Mouseion in around 20 BC and the prodigious scholarly output of Didymus Chalcenterus in Alexandria from this period indicates that he had access to at least some of the Library's resources.

The Library dwindled during the Roman Period, due to lack of funding and support. Its membership appears to have ceased by the 260s AD. Between 270 and 275 AD, the city of Alexandria saw a rebellion and an imperial counterattack that probably destroyed whatever remained of the Library, if it still existed at that time. The daughter library of the Serapeum may have survived after the main Library's destruction. The Serapeum was vandalized and demolished in 391 AD under a decree issued by Coptic Christian Pope Theophilus of Alexandria, but it does not seem to have housed books at the time and was mainly used as a gathering place for Neoplatonist philosophers following the teachings of Iamblichus.

Source.

lobsterpersonJeffreyDavid
  • Thanks for the info @federica =)

You would not believe, well you would ... how much knowledge and priceless books are eaten by mice, stolen by librarians and just allowed to rot. I used to be a member of the British Library and was very supportive of them scanning everything. When the internet came I found a new source of info. Sadly that is slowly rotting the genuine spread of knowledge and information as we become inundated with vested bubbles of propoganda, exploitation, trivia etc.

Bring back the scrolls :3

... and now back to the puzzle books ...

@sova said:

@Kerome said:

truth is not a what
    and cannot be explained in such a way

So you are saying you don’t have an answer? :)

truth is (snip) abiding in the state of truth

Which is pretty much a tautology. In the end all definitions in words come back to tautology or synonyms, it’s the nature of language. But you get bonus points for being poetic, hehe.

I have seen truth defined as “that which is”, which is not a bad answer if you think about it.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@federica said:
    Ok, like I said, the answer's much simpler... and the clue is in the question.

How do you get out?

The guy with the 5-page answer wrote an extraordinary thesis-within-a-response, and gained 40 marks for it.
    My friend's 2-word response got 75.

Bear in mind this is an Existential Psychology exam.

her reply?

"Stop imagining."

I thought it was going to be "wake up", lol.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@sova said:
    Challenge Accepted!
    Everything is easy!

Ready, set, go!

What is the only true opposite of yinyang?

• true yinyang opposite = gnayniy

Now you know nothing useful. That is the real nature of puzzles and hardly questioning.

Everyone knows that the soft overcomes the hard

and yielding triumphs over the rigid

Why then so little faith?

Why can no one practice it?

Daodejing, Poem Seventy-Eight (trans. Jonathan Star)
    https://spotnitz.com/soft-weak/

Or as Lao Jes Us put it:
    'The Greek will Inherit the Earth.'

personpaulyso
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@lobster said:
    true yinyang opposite = gnayniy

:awesome:

Just horrible, lmao. gnayniy.

@sova said:

@person said:

5 cents and 1.05

and

day 29

But i was hoping more for questions that allude to fresh information on reality

You want us to give you some koans to play with?

What comes first, the tool or the art?

@Jeffrey said:
    Where do the socks go that disappear in the laundry?

Hmm a question that may never be answered ;) ..... that's laundry philosophy for ya...

Kundo
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

@lobster said:
    true yinyang opposite = gnayniy

Now you know nothing useful. That is the real nature of puzzles and hardly questioning.

Everyone knows that the soft overcomes the hard

and yielding triumphs over the rigid

Why then so little faith?

Why can no one practice it?

Daodejing, Poem Seventy-Eight (trans. Jonathan Star)
    https://spotnitz.com/soft-weak/

Or as Lao Jes Us put it:
    'The Greek will Inherit the Earth.'

long live quan yin.this can be daozen:she holds a vase and a reed flower. the reed neither bent nor break , but yield to the breeze.the lesson,adapt with change,go with the flow.when the condition change from breeze to no longer breeze the reed is at rest.another lesson be like the reed who is at ease with the element of life whether responding or resting.

the vase is showpiece how beautfull the reed is.if we be like the reed,guan yin sees us beautiful and inspiring.thank you guan yin buddha for the soft lesson.

Jeffrey

@pegembara said:

OR

What is the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything?
    The answer is not 42.

being numerical cleaver.the answere is:work!

the proof:4 being positive adding 2 equals 6 a religios symbol to do work , a karmaic interdependence(4+2=6)

....maybe at age 42 try to get your shit in order to relax in doing work.

Kundo

...last numerical cleaver,before going to work.the number 8 stands for work and ease like the curvy hour glass.upright is work on the clock.lay the hour glass ,rest,off the clock.lesson,work and rest,prioritize our time.

.......8 is the walk,reclining is the rest.sidartha buddha taught the way in be-ing.

mu

um

Kundo

Give your hardest question!

What is the hardest question ?

personlobster
This discussion has been closed.