Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sri Lanka Easter Attack

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited April 2019 in General Banter

Hatred rears its ugly head .....

Sadly terror strikes again...This time in Sri Lanka

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

???

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

This has really upset me. ??

• :p I do not get overly upset.
    Just another day in samsara ...

I went to visit an atheist friend who lived near the explosions. Brought him a Sufi Al-Ghazzali version of the koran which he is studying. He declined the book.

The cod less, the power hungry Buddhists, the brainwashed radicals will like the poor always be with us.

Buddhist Jihad (internal warrior-hood) fights for peace with peaceful empowerment. Be kind. Be good. Stay out of the Naughty Corner ...

?????

ShoshinpersonJeroenAlex
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Sadly (for want of a better term) there are some really f@#ked up people wandering around...
    We pass them in the street, they might pass in and out of our lives ...

What is it that's missing in their lives ?
    Is it just Love ?

The local NZ Sri Lankan Buddhist community have been holding candle vigils for the dead...

lobsterKundoAlex
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Shoshin said:
    Sadly (for want of a better term) there are some really f@#ked up people wandering around...
    We pass them in the street, they might pass in and out of our lives ...

What is it that's missing in their lives ?
    Is it just Love ?

The local NZ Sri Lankan Buddhist community have been holding candle vigils for the dead...

Oh my goodness... I am ashamed to say reading that quickly, I really thought you'd written

"...The local Nazi Lankan Buddhist Community...."

Which caused me some perplexed confusion...

I mean, isn't one culpable group enough...?!

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2019

@Bunks said:
    ???

Understood.

This is the nature of Ye Olde World. A temple/church/relic on fire. Death a moment away. Bodies everywhere, in the food, on the streets, in the earth.

That is where I sit daily. With Death.

Tearless.
    Heartless.
    Empty.

... Death
    a moment away
    And now back to the Na zi zeeing ...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I really can't get my head round why, of all the Deistic religions, Islam seems to cultivate and promote more terrorists and extremists hell-bent (literally) on violence, destruction and carnage...

I would love to know what the leading Authorities of this religion, in every country, are actively, decisively and determinedly doing, to eliminate and eradicate such indoctrination, radicalisation and perpetuation of such notions.

I mean I get it. Millions of Muslims are dead-set totally against such atrocities. Such people are by no means any kind of accurate representation of the central and true ethos of Islam.

And we read and see the reactions of Good-hearted, kind, humane and compassionate Muslims neighbours and members of the public, doing their level best to help and aid the victims of such atrocities, and standing up and speaking out against Muslim terrorists.

Facebook and Youtube are full of videos and accounts of Muslims reaching out to build bridges.
    So I am never in any doubt at all, that these terrorists are in the minority, and shunned and despised by other true-minded, decent, ordinary, law-abiding and respectful Muslims.

I'm not talking about what 'The Man in the Street' is doing. We see what 'he' is doing, and it's admirable, commendable and blessed.

I want to know whether there is a good, solid global network of Islamic leaders cooperating together, and moving, visibly, officially, to denounce and condemn such actions, and moving physically, officially throughout the global network of Muslim communities, all over the world, to extract and eliminate terrorism as a real, criminal, dangerous and terrifying issue?

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2019

@federica said:
    I want to know whether there is a good, solid global network of Islamic leaders cooperating together, and moving, visibly, officially, to denounce and condemn such actions, and moving physically, officially throughout the global network of Muslim communities, all over the world, to extract and eliminate terrorism as a real, criminal, dangerous and terrifying issue?

There is.
    http://islam.uga.edu/sufismintro.html

Before Edam, adam, moses,
    before allah and the big cheese
    there were the Lovers

The Friends (of Allah, Buddha, JC and the Easter Bunny) will always be with us.
    Just like ignorance, intentional mass murder etc.

As a Moslem I take peoples hand and declare them friends.

We of the lollipop guild, the dharma, the good, will continue ...

The difficult thing is not to engage in condemning fiends, murderers and bad boddhisatvaism. Realise the good, no time for evil (except to subjugate) ... ?

Dwelling in or on atrocities is dukkha-wallowing. Such behavour is not skilful.

Should we be angry about terrorist abominations, rather than our coffee being cold? Yes. Warm the coffee. In other words be the solution. Iz plan.

No, I'd like to know whether they are specifically dealing with the issue of Muslim terrorists head-on.
    I'd like to know whether there is a global network of Muslim elders specifically charged with investigating, addressing and denouncing this Militant movement officially and vocally.

Kundo

My understanding of the problem (after a conversation with a Muslima friend of mine, who is one of my staunchest defenders when I've encountered antisemitism) is that in any Sharia Law ruled country, even leaders have to "tow the line" or be punished. Sharia Law is not an original component of Islam according to my Muslima friend. But one only needs to compare Afghanistan in 1972 to today to see that.

Personally, I believe that, like all monotheistic paths, the man made rules destroy the integrity and truths in the religion itself. And that pisses me right off :(

federica
  • As I perceive it:
    Terrorists, be they of the Right or Left, Christian, Muslim, whatever, seem to not really have an international network per se, but do feed off each other and sometimes communicated with each other within the ideological framework of their particular sickness. They are always fighting some "other". Be it religious, racial or ethnic. Their identity is their perceived group. They all share that perverse sickness of exclusivity. They have no identity outside their perceived group.
    their ideology prevents them from recognizing the value of any human life, their own or anyone else's.
    their darkness is terrible and all encompassing.
    They are easily manipulated by the cult of hate and fear.
    such a terrible way to exist, for that is not living.

My heart and my prayers go out to all the victims of the senseless attacks.

Shoshinlobsterperson

@Lionduck said:
    As I perceive it:
    Terrorists, be they of the Right or Left, Christian, Muslim, whatever, seem to not really have an international network per se, but do feed off each other and sometimes communicated with each other within the ideological framework of their particular sickness. They are always fighting some "other". Be it religious, racial or ethnic. Their identity is their perceived group. They all share that perverse sickness of exclusivity. They have no identity outside their perceived group.
    their ideology prevents them from recognizing the value of any human life, their own or anyone else's.
    their darkness is terrible and all encompassing.
    They are easily manipulated by the cult of hate and fear.
    such a terrible way to exist, for that is not living.

My heart and my prayers go out to all the victims of the senseless attacks.

100% Lionduck. And unfortunately social media is the perfect breeding ground for such :(

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I saw that ISIS claimed responsibility... I do not see any sense in a terror attack in such a far away country, which is minimally involved in what is happening in Syria.

According to some reports, this was a 'retaliatory revenge attack ' for what happened in Christchurch, NZ.
    "Hatred is never appeased by Hatred; By Love alone can it be vanquished. This is the Eternal Law." How can some be so blinkered and blind to the fact that when we laugh, smile and are kind, the feeling and the response from others is so much nicer...?

lobster

Tom Hanks is to play Mr Rogers in a film being made about him. (I couldn't think of anyone better or more appropriate!)

I well remember the quote of his, (Mr Rogers, that is) which he attributed to his mother that, whenever there is a man-made disaster, of epic proportions, which results in injury, destruction and death - to look for the Good People. Wherever disaster strikes, there are always those who without even thinking, immediately begin trying in their way, to remedy the matter.

And here's a bit of controversy for you:
    We're all capable of 'terrorism'.

If we can become irritated with someone to the point that it leaves us thinking about the incident for longer than it takes to brew a cuppa, then we harbour negativity, antagonism and resentment.
    And escalated, blown up (pardon the phrase) to a greater proportion, that's exactly the kind of emotions a vengeful, violent aggressive terrorist harbours. Only, big time. No I mean, really big time.
    But the seed, the origin of that great big huge tar-sticky lump of hate, is the brief encounter that leaves a bitter taste.

And it's that seed we have to eradicate.
    The minute we see its little green head cracking its casing and beginning to sprout - that's the point we need to cull and dispose of it.
    (I mean, earlier would be better.... even before it's hit the ground, would be perfect....)

But a little step at a time.
    Approach each day with the thought that the minuscule grain of terrorism isn't going to sprout, today.

It may seem like an exaggeration, but put it this way: We are all born the same way; and the first touch we experience is a nurturing caring one. A mother who embraces us.
    That includes terrorists.
    Something small happened. Something clicked, along the way, and instead of the child being guided 'this' way, for some unknown reason, it went 'that' way.
    And we put a foot wrong too, day in day out. Maybe not every day. Maybe not even in that big a way.
    But our toes occasionally err off the path. Into the weeds.

Keep to the well-worn and well-trodden path. Go where others have led, their footprints are commendable and hallowed...

It's all too easy to think "no, not me. I could never do such a thing". Not of such magnitude perhaps. Not with such devastating and horrific effect.
    But Kindness and Compassion are the exceptionally perfect weed-killers.
    And they quell any preliminary thought before it has a chance to take root.

From the little acorn, the Mighty Oak doth grow....

They're like us.
    We're like them.
    Just path.
    Or weeds.

Too easy to slip up.

Take care.
    Be kind.

Sorted.

BunkslobsterpersonShoshin
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    No, I'd like to know whether they are specifically dealing with the issue of Muslim terrorists head-on.
    I'd like to know whether there is a global network of Muslim elders specifically charged with investigating, addressing and denouncing this Militant movement officially and vocally.

It appears perhaps they did speak up in Sri Lanka but it fell on deaf ears....

“Authorities also ignored warnings from the country's Muslim leaders in January, about an extremist cleric who is believed to have planned the Easter Sunday attacks” - ABC News website

• @fedrica
    You are right, we are all and each capable of both great evil and great good. That awareness gives each of us the tool to decide, to control the direction we each take.
    To welcome the stranger, to accept the person who is, in some way, different or to reject, turn away, to shun him or her. That is a choice.
    One of the most dangerous words in the English language is "They". it is used negatively to separate, to vilify and to denigrate others. But when we look in life's mirror, "They" becomes "Us".
    As an individual, I can not control what someone else does, thinks or says. But I do have control over what I do, say and think. War and Peace both start with a person making a decision. we all have anger. What we do with that anger determines if we let it destroy or or it into something positive. women in North Ireland were angered by the killing. They were able to channel that anger into action which ultimately ended bloodshed.
    Hatred is for those who choose to be lazy. Compassion takes work. I, for one, choose to work.

Peace to all

federicalobsterShoshin

@Bunks said:

@federica said:

It appears perhaps they did speak up in Sri Lanka but it fell on deaf ears....

“Authorities also ignored warnings from the country's Muslim leaders in January, about an extremist cleric who is believed to have planned the Easter Sunday attacks” - ABC News website

Yes, there's a difference between being passive, and being complacent...
    If any good comes out of this, it's that it puts people more on their guard, and raises awareness that if unchecked and ignored, these horrific happenings will not only continue, but escalate.

There is nothing aggressive about making things more difficult for hardened extremist terrorists to carry out their destructive plans...

Bunkslobster
  • And here's a bit of controversy for you:
    We're all capable of 'terrorism'.

On my picnics to the hell realms, the misguided (to put it mildly) who expected eternal virgins are as imaginary as my picnic hamper ...

We are all capable of making a positive betterment as @federica mentions so well.