Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Gratitude meditation

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Let yourself sit quietly and at ease. Allow your body to be relaxed and open, your breath natural, your heart easy. Begin the practice of gratitude by feeling how year after year you have cared for your own life. Now let yourself begin to acknowledge all that has supported you in this care:

With gratitude I remember the people, animals, plants, insects, creatures of the sky and sea, air and water, fire and earth, all whose joyful exertion blesses my life every day.

With gratitude I remember the care and labor of a thousand generations of elders and ancestors who came before me.

I offer my gratitude for the safety and well-being I have been given.

I offer my gratitude for the blessing of this earth I have been given.

I offer my gratitude for the measure of health I have been given.

I offer my gratitude for the family and friends I have been given.

I offer my gratitude for the community I have been given.

I offer my gratitude for the teachings and lessons I have been given.

I offer my gratitude for the life I have been given.

From: https://jackkornfield.com/meditation-gratitude-joy/

personShoshinadamcrossleyKundoAlex

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

With gratitude I remember the people, animals, plants, insects, creatures of the sky and sea, air and water, fire and earth, all whose joyful exertion blesses my life every day.

Have added extra puja for the ingrates

With indifference bordering on forgetting I ignore the care and labor of a thousand generations of elders and ancestors who came before me and are all dead 💀

I offer safety and well-being to zombies, trolls and the neglected.

I offer dirt blessing by my burial

I offer my blood and organs to any post death collectors.

I offer my gratitude to anyone taking my family and friends. Please replace with better models.

I offer my companionship to anyone preferring my absence.

I offer my gratitude for the teachings and lessons I have ignored and bypassed.

I offer my gratitude for the life I have been given loaned.

personKundo
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Who is this “I” of whom you speak ;)

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Moderator's observation:

@Vastmind posted a really thought-provoking post, and an example of how we can focus on the pleasure of the privilege of opening our eyes in the morning, breathing and being alive.

Is it really fair that the last two comments have seemingly belittled her contribution, and made light and a joke of it?

lobsterKundo
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited May 2019

Well my comment was meant as a semi-serious reflection on the nature of all such affirmations, that they tend to place you very directly in an “I”-centric mode of thinking. It’s certainly not meant to belittle it.

Apologies @vastmind if you read it as such...

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The thread is in the 'Meditation' sub-forum.
    The thread's title is 'Gratitude Meditation'.

Maybe taking it off at a tangent and introducing a different observation isn't the most appropriate response... don't you think?

Vastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Is it really fair

If it offends, No. :3
    If it however moves into an appreciation beyond what can sometimes be crass sentiment, Yes.
    I feel our beloved moderator judged it right, it was valid sentiment/feeling/puja

I offer Gratitude for the immoderate and extremes.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited May 2019

Well, if Jack Kornfield is gonna be made fun of, at least @lobster did it here, and not at Jack’s house/site, bec I wouldn’t put it pass him. * eye roll *

I’m not offended, but yeah, of course I meant it serious...Gratitude and it’s teaching is a basic to Buddhism...and we all need more of it. If what I post on a certain topic/subject doesn’t hit home for anyone or a certain person, please feel free to post a different method or tool used for that Teaching. The point of us all getting together here is learning and talking Buddhism after all, right?

@Kerome ...I accept your apology for using such a played out, dry joke as the ‘I’ card. I’m formally submitting it to Readers Digest’s overly used phrases. It’s a uniquely Buddhist offense, hahaha

I offer my gratitude for the humor and laughs we share here at NB!

Kundolobster
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

These two people are hard to find in the world. Which two? The one who is first to do a kindness, and the one who is grateful and thankful for a kindness done."
    — AN 2.118

In saying that kind and grateful people are rare, the Buddha isn't simply stating a harsh truth about the human race. He's advising you to treasure these people when you find them, and — more importantly — showing how you can become a rare person yourself.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/lessonsofgratitude.html

lobsteradamcrossley

I Belong to the RAK group; we have a closed Group page on Fb... Every post in there has recommendations for, or examples of, being kind.
    It costs nothing, is actually much easier than you'd think, and plenty of people can recommend it as a workable process.

From HHDL to Maya Angelou, the message is the same. If we can be anything in this world, we can be Kind.

VastmindKundolobsteradamcrossley
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I took @lobster's post as a reminder to be grateful even for the things we may be averse to and the lessons they can teach us.

...From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly, so that you will come to know the value of justice. I hope that you will suffer betrayal because that will teach you the importance of loyalty. Sorry to say, but I hope you will be lonely from time to time so that you don’t take friends for granted. I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either. And when you lose, as you will from time to time, I hope every now and then, your opponent will gloat over your failure. It is a way for you to understand the importance of sportsmanship. I hope you’ll be ignored so you know the importance of listening to others, and I hope you will have just enough pain to learn compassion. Whether I wish these things or not, they’re going to happen. And whether you benefit from them or not will depend upon your ability to see the message in your misfortunes...

John Roberts

Vastmindlobsteradamcrossley
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Thanks for this @Vastmind

I've had a very trying two weeks and it's easy to forget where it falls in the scheme of things when it's all you can seem to focus on.

🙏🙏🙏

lobsterVastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

When we offer gratitude sincerely, we’re unassailable.

Exactly B)
    I am grateful for sincerity. I am glad you are incorporating a worthwhile practice to remind yourself.
    Gratitude is its own reward.

Let me put it another way ...

In the subtle gratitudes of dervishism (which I am grateful for), we extend our gratitude (increase in Love) to even the harsh and harder teachers in our experience.

Our harshest teacher is often our own being. Did anybody guess? >:)

@person said:
    I took @lobster's post as a reminder to be grateful even for the things we may be averse to and the lessons they can teach us.

Indeed. This is hard, wrathful, advanced stuff. Be grateful for gratitude ... in all its extensions. <3

For most of us, as @federica mentions, kindness and gratitude requires an easier focus/practice. Do not be grateful for the down drag demons until you can drag them up ... o:)

Be kind. Be open. Be grateful.

adamcrossleyperson
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Gratitude and generosity is part of resilience training ...
    https://www.mindful.org/how-people-learn-to-increase-their-resilience/

Vastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

If an atheist be grateful for the godful.

That is generous.

adamcrossley