Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Extra practices

So the daily meditation, twice or more for the keen bodhi, is in place ...

What extra practices are recommended/do you do?

Here are some of mine:

• Yoga. Look after the Vehicle. No body, no progress.
    I only do about 10 minutes, sometimes more. Feel a lot better for it.

• Better diet. Ideally Satvic ... don't think fish and prawns are kosher ahimsa :3
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sattvic_diet

• Mantra. I do like silent mantra nowadays. Occasionally I will chant aloud but do not like to disturb the neighbours or squirrel.

• Allowing others to be kind to me. Yes it is an advanced form of kind bodhisattva practice o:)
VastmindBunkselcra1go

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

HHDL every day does a number of hours of analytical meditation early in the morning, which he categorises as a kind of examination of the previous day. This seems like a good habit to me, although when I remember to do it I end up sustaining it for a far shorter period.

lobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I have had problems with wax buildup in my ear so already I had the practice of turning my head to the shower each morning to spray some water in each ear. Now when I do that I do a awakening bodhicitta mantra for one ear and a refuge mantra for the other.

BunksDavid
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Lionduck said:
    Remember that you already possess the greatest treasure possible. All else is embellishment.

Very well said. Is that a quote?

• @Kerome
    Thank you. No, it is not a quote.
    It has, however, been stated in many different ways many times before.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Ramming and cramming on Extra Practices if only to maintain my sanity, decorum and sense of self-worth. Otherwise I'm gonna lose the plot. Please pray to Jesus for me, guys.

Damn.

Lost it.

VastmindlobsterLionduck
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2019

Praying to Jesus is a perk of being a heretic. Definitely an extra practice.
    For those of an Abrahamic heritage ( Judaism, Christianity and Isn'tlam ... eh sorry Islam :3 )
    I would recommend
    Good Omens - TV series with an all star cast (God, yes her, Adam, hordes of heaven and hell etc) Good fun. Very well done.

other practices that I do as the occasion merits

• created calming presentations - a sort of hypnotic induction of calm
      This one I created on my Ipad ...

• I also use binaural beats (Zencloud on Puppy Linux) there are phone apps and youtube videos

used those two this morning ...

Jeroen
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

The practice is suppose to be 24/7.
    But I keep on getting distracted and forget to do it.

lobster
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@lobster said:

• I also use binaural beats (Zencloud on Puppy Linux) there are phone apps and youtube videos

Binaural beats are amazing

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@FoibleFull said:
    But I keep on getting distracted and forget to do it.

:3
    We iz bad/unskilful practitioners? So be it ... but we try ...

In the Sufi dharma, mindfulness (of Cod) is known as remembrance.
    Hence we return from the heedless/mind distracted/ignorant/forgetful state ...

Gosh this spiritual stuff is so simple once you are on the straight bendy bits ... ;)

federica
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

... and :lol:

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2019

The practice is suppose to be 24/7

It iz?
    eh yes ... Quite right too ...

There I was trying to add a picture from my weekend retreat (which I am currently on - yes we heretics have internet connected dharma ...)
    As @Linc is still updating I was unsuccessful. Therefore form is emptiness, so to say. Did I rant and rave? No I am serene and luvvly. Not like my invisible cat, which I gave an early morning kick. I iz bad but the cat (Bastet) is imaginary ... talking of which ...

For those who enjoyed Deadpool 💀

... and for the untwisted Buddhists ... a bonus track ... all together now ... B)

Vajrapani for Dharma President! <3

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2019

Still on retreat but now able to post pics hosted here:
    https://postimages.org/

The above is from my morning walking meditation. I climbed the fence (a trick I learned from two Tantric Sangha) to get into an empty London park ... at 5am, just me a lake ... Birds such as the cormorant warming her wings ...

Bad Buddhists have more clean fun ... good thing too ...

meanwhile ...

Shoshin

@lobster said:

My husband loves the show Happy. I can't get into it.

@Kundo said:

@lobster said:

My husband loves the show Happy. I can't get into it.

I was the same with GoT. Sorry, but I really didn't get it.

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

@federica said:
    I was the same with GoT. Sorry, but I really didn't get it.

I’m with you @federica. Was not an interesting story IMO. A far cry from The Lord of the Rings.

LotR didn't have a lot of nudity, violence or rape, so yeah, better....

LotR had a unique epic quality, I feel, which GoT tried to imitate through sheer scope but it didn’t quite work. Though to say LotR had no violence is a bit off the mark, the battle scenes were pretty intense. It depends what you’re in the mood for. I’ve been really appreciating The Hobbit lately, it has a kind of innocent adventure with a good dash of humour which I like.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

It is VERY difficult to be mindful when drawn into a wrathful scenarios. Even if imaginary, game, programs, films or Buddha Purelands (and Heaven) forbid, in Real Life. Picnics in the hell realms are like tonglen an advanced practice ...
    https://www.lionsroar.com/how-to-practice-tonglen/

It is why the wise practice calming, serenity, meditation, puja, sila, study of the wise etc.

Can violent sports, zombie killing games, overwhelming drama be cathartic or are they bad karmic seeding?

paulysoJeroen

Yes I detested GoT - even though I love Peter Dinklage.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

There I was being mad, when I came across sanity ...
    https://www.alustforlife.com/mental-health

I'll join.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

You still have the best pictures. Thanks @Lobster.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2019

Thanks @David <3

I have rich future Buddha subjects. Here is a guest in my toilet, that I thought was a leaf cluster at first ...

https://butterfly-conservation.org/moths/lime-hawk-moth

I am making extensive use of short meditations on the still many free options insighttimer.
    https://insighttimer.com/about
    Talks, courses, groups. Very varied.