Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes - 'Try before you Die!'

1235»

Comments

• really, every day!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

No, you make a big enough batch to freeze, or store in the fridge for 3 - 5 days...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2019

The first batch I made turned out to be extremely firm and somewhat rubbery. I don't think I got the proportions right, and it was a small, tough, friable ball of dough... However, today, I paid special attention to my portions, sifted the flour and added the water at room temperature. Result? A far more pliable dough, easy to handle, fun to knead, which stayed together and rose slightly when left to rest for 5 minutes. It's now cooking, and I made plenty, to freeze, or keep in the fridge for use over the next few days. Will report back...!

ETA: Update post-cooking: Oh my! These are PERFECT! I used an extremely large, lidded, deep frying pan, and they've pretty much taken up all the space available! They're light, spongy and look delicious!

edited April 2019

Just finished cooking...

This looks really good - and tastes delicious!
    It's soft, spongy and delicious - this is while it's still hot.... I guess by the time it cools, it will have firmed up a little...

lobster
    edited June 2019

Am about to embark on making white miso... I made red miso 3 years ago, and it's still amazing and delicious... bold, tast, robust.... Now, onto the yellow, which is milder and used more in the summer...
    ('White' is a misnomer... it ranges from sunflower yellow to a pale russet rust... Red miso ranges from a brownish scarlet, to a deep chestnut brown, almost ebony...)

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Pan roasted sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, flavoured with gluten free soy sauce ( I also sprinkle savory yeast flake on them) ...Cheap healthy & yummy...When friends come around and I've roasted some, they disappear fast...They are soooooo moreish....

lobster

I'm on it - !

edited November 2019

The Game Changers. Netflix. 2018.

Oh.

My.

God.

Changing my game.

Jeroen
  • Eating more vegan and vegetarian food. More available in supermarkets. Also trying some experimental stuff - fresh figs and mandarin in salads for example. Leftovers and nut/lentil burgers, that sort of thing. Just planted some broad/fava beans in cardboard tubes ready to go in my new garden. I now have light.

Eat well. Think straight. (curved spirals for the more advanced)

Aquafava. The very best thing instead of egg, if you need that kind of thing.
    You read it here first, folks (Some people refer to it as 'aquafaba' which seems to have caught on, but trust me - it IS originally, aquafava.)

• So... I’ve been what you would call a flexitarian for a few months now and have recently started telling people I’m vegetarian while I’m out, making non meat choices whenever I’m out of the house and free to choose. We still have some meat at home, mainly because I don’t expect my family to have to make any changes for me, or for me to inconvenience them.

Even more recently I’ve started to look at dairy free options and have swapped milk with my morning porridge for almond milk. However I still don’t know where to start with vegan lunches and snacks, any ideas? When going meat free I could have tuna, cheese etc, then going vegetarian takes away the fish option and vegan takes away the dairy cheese option. If I stick with a normal lunchbox of sandwiches or wraps or salads I don’t know where the bulk of the meal comes from. Do I look for non dairy replacements and have the same thing, or go for a bigger overhaul of what I eat.

I need to make sure I’m still getting enough substance as I’m swimming 4x a week and have now lost close to 2 stones in weight. I’m only a couple of pounds off a healthy bmi and am now looking at the next step in my diet and overall health. Thanks in advance for the tips.

I think it wise of you to do research and investigate foods that are beneficial for your lifestyle...

If you remember, in the Game Changers. it was pointed out that our digestive system is far more adapted to a non-meat diet than a meat one, being that much longer... If you look at the dietary habits of carnivore animals, they hunt, they gorge - then they don't eat for days because although their intestinal tract is shorter, digestion is slower, and they actually don't need to eat a meal for a day or two. Or three...

Herbivorous animals have a longer digestive tract to enable the full and complete extraction of nutrients, and to ensure a healthy digestion.

But they graze, little and often.

And that, as a non-meat eater, is what you should do.
    Graze. Snack.
    Nuts, dried fruit, vegetable stews and salads, tofu bites, twice-fried beans rolled into a wrap, with julienned cucumber, carrot, spring onion and vegan sour sauce...

Look up a site called 'doesn't taste like chicken'... she's great, and has some really nice recipes...also, Richmond vegetarian sausages taste so good, even my 'committed carnivore' husband likes them...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Has anyone had a look in Jamie Oliver’s new cookbook Veg? Is it worth getting? Jamie usually does recipes that are quite quick and easy.

Yup, I have it. It's quite ice. Some recipes take a fair bit of effort, but all in all, quite good.

• We have it too, had quite a few meals out of it and always enjoy them. My wife cooks them for us so wouldn't know how easy the recipes are to follow! Lucky man!

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I watched The Game Changers last night, it was very inspiring. The actual ‘meat’ (lol) of the message was limited to just a few statements, but they were very telling. I think a lot of people who pay close attention to performance will take note. The website is interesting too.

My favourite statement, as you put it, is eminently quotable.

Q: "How can you be a vegan, and still be as strong as an ox?"

A: "How many oxen do you know eat meat?"

That was a good one, indeed. I also thought it was telling how the marketing of meat protein as an essential came back to just one guy’s writings, this Liebig chap. It’s very interesting that such a lot of what we have been told is basically a triumph of marketing over scientific truth.

They had some big names attached as producers to the project, I saw Schwarzenegger, Lewis Hamilton and Novak Djokovic come past. It was good to see some top athletes talk at length about food and what it does. Also the points about blood flow and recovery were really well made.

There have been a lot of arguments against the programme, particularly on YouTube, but much to mt surprise and delight, detractors have either had to withdraw their criticisms, or they have been completely negated by visible and verifiable data. Men's Health and another magazine (the name of which I forget) brought out the big 'Pro-Meat' guns, but then had to drastically edit the article and even redact a lot of it, due to their bias.

Both comforting and reassuring.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Just made jackfruit stirfry....

Hmm It was okay but I think I need to experiment with it a bit more :)

edited February 2020

I buy shredded jackfruit, and before using it, I drain it, rinse it thoroughly then transfer it to a clean muslin cloth and squeeze as much of the fluid out as possible. Amount- wise, it looked about the same as a mandarin orange, but then, I separated it all out, and it's ample for 2 people. I added it to a curry, together with some quorn pieces, and pre-fried paneer cheese cubes (you can alternatively use halloumi) and then finished off with a reasonable quantity of coconut cream. Hot, creamy, spicy, it was good for two filling meals, eaten with pilau rice.

Shoshin
    edited February 2020

I found that if you merely drain and rinse the jackfruit, before adding it to the recipe of your choice, it can taste a little bland and fibrous. If however, you proceed as I described above, it's more prone to absorbing juices and flavours and it's far more palatable and pleasant to eat...

Had an app recommended to me the other day: Zero Fasting tracker which essentially just helps to add discipline and self-control to any Fast you might care to undertake. They also have an associated Facebook page where members and fellow Fasters discuss different aspects of the whole shebang.
    Am just over 3 hours away from ending my initial 18/6 fast and have set up another 2, for during the week.
    As far as I am concerned, it's an interesting venture. Feel free to give it a go....

• ... short interlude from a carnivore (had organic vegan cow with chips for supper) :p

... chips cooked in our new air fryer/health fryer, might suit some of you ...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_fryer

and now back to the veg feasting ... 💗😇🥳

edited March 2020

Really into this Fasting thing. Not so much a discipline as a gradual change and way of life. It's working, and I'm enjoying it. Doing the right things and being sensible. Can't be bad!

lobster