Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Bonus track ...

Vastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Nice article. I have saved it to read this evening, in the peace and quiet of my room...

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

Yeah, lovely article. I’m definitely going to listen to the album now :)

federicalobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Really interesting, though she seems more attached to perennial philosophy rather than being a straight Buddhist. Good article.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I found what she said valuable, insightful and helpful. <3
    Most of all her practice has been transformative and personally effective. Spirituality is not about repute, audience ratings or popularity but internal connection, attunement and transcendence.

Simple really.

adamcrossley
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I have only been to an SGI meeting once ...
    ... not my sort of silencing ...
    https://newbuddhist.com/discussion/comment/473231#Comment_473231

However I sense a genuine understanding and breakthrough in Tina Turners interview and incidentally in our own @Lionduck who is Nichiren ...

Are we allowed to be cultish now?
    https://cultnews.com/category/sokagakkai/

• It is always the heart that matters. When we open our hearts to ourselves and others, we free ourselves. we are free to forgive ourselves and to forgive others. We are free to celebrate ourselves each individually and to celebrate others. We are free to live and help enable other to live - to live, not to merely exist. We become free to cry and to laugh without judgement. We each become free to be ourselves and to shed our self made shackles. we are free to soar.

Peace to All

BunkslobsterAlex
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited July 2019

@Lionduck said:
    It is always the heart that matters. When we open our hearts to ourselves and others, we free ourselves.

(Emphasis added in the above.)

From the Tathāgatāyuṣpramāṇaparivarta (如來壽量品, nyorai juryō hon), which Venerable Nichiren had his followers recite before the Object on the Platform, a translation:

Speaking dharma, I am always living here.
    Through many godly powers I lead into error sentient beings:
    although close by, I am not seen.

Many see me, I pass into extinguishment,
    widely they worship my ashes,
    sweetly, their hearts, each and every,
    wish to look upon my heart with reverence.

When someone becomes honest and respectful,
    becomes noble in heart, becomes soft and gentle,
    and with oneness of heart wishes to see the Buddha,
    with no hesitations and with no illusions about this world and this life,
    then I and the saṁgha, entirely without exception,
    have appeared on the Vulture Peak.

-Lotus Sūtra, T262.43b10

This is my favourite division of the Lotus Sūtra. It will be Chapter 16 if you are reading materials published by SGI, but if anyone has a translation of a Sanskrit version of the Lotus Sūtra, such as The White Lotus of the Good Law, it will be Chapter 15.

Śākyamunibuddha waxes on the narrative of the world concerning his life, his gnosis, his extinction, and offers his own narrative to complement it. He looks forward at "Buddhism" (widely they worship my ashes, the Chinese "舍利, ashes," corresponds to dhātavaḥ or "relics" in the Sanskrit) and gives it a resounding critique. It's all about the heart.

lobster