Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist poker player donates $600,000 win to charity

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46911725
Old news but yeah.

The Canadian poker player came in third at a poker tournament in the Bahamas, taking away $671,240 (£518,868).

As usual, he is donating all his winnings to charity, earning him the nickname "the people's hero".

"Being a practitioner of Buddhism, we sit around and meditate a lot - and that's free," he told the BBC.
How does he reconcile his Buddhist practice - which emphasis making peace with the impermanence of life - with the adrenaline rush of a straight flush?

"With great difficulty," he admitted.

He is concerned about the ethics of playing a game that has left many in financial ruin.

elcra1goShoshinBunksrocala

Comments

• rocalarocala Explorer

Wow I do like this man.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I’ve played the odd no-limit hold ‘em poker tournament among friends, i took home the pot on several occasions. It’s good fun, if not very buddhist.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Kerome said:
    I’ve played the odd no-limit hold ‘em poker tournament among friends, i took home the pot on several occasions. It’s good fun, if not very buddhist.

I hope you donated it!!! =)

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Yeah, that sounds like a Canadian Buddhist.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Bunks said:

@Kerome said:

I hope you donated it!!! =)

This was before my involvement with Buddhism, I think I spent the money on some dvd’s...

Bunks