Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Good meditation books

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I’ve been reading Ajahn Brahm’s book Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond and it’s been very helpful so far. It’s very well written, clear, and very modern in its approach, I’m becoming a fan. I just wanted to see if anyone else had downloaded it (it seems to be freely available), have a chat about it, and maybe pick up a few other favourite titles if people wanted to recommend some.

You can download it here...
http://theravadins.org/master/master-western/ajahn-brahm/brahm-mindfulness-bliss-and-beyond/at_download/file

KundoBunkslobsterFoibleFullAlex

Comments

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Thanks for the link :+1:

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Ive been very much enjoying Ajahn Brahm’s book, the section on the five hindrances to meditation is excellent. I also didn’t know Ajahn Brahm was a student of Ajahn Chah.

BunksFoibleFull
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Bunks said:
    He's now been ex-communicated from the Thai Forest Tradition for re-commencing the ordination of bhikkhuni's in Australia (bravo!!!)

It’s strange that this in this modern day and Age should still cause controversy.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I am loathe to criticise Thailand as I have a number of Thai friends but I think they would openly admit their country is a fair way behind the times in certain areas

FoibleFull
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Kerome said:

@Bunks said:
    He's now been ex-communicated from the Thai Forest Tradition for re-commencing the ordination of bhikkhuni's in Australia (bravo!!!)

It’s strange that this in this modern day and Age should still cause controversy.

@Bunks said:
    I am loathe to criticise Thailand as I have a number of Thai friends but I think they would openly admit their country is a fair way behind the times in certain areas

Oh I dunno... countries and religions everywhere still have a tendency to treat women like shit.

( I said that out loud, didn't I....?)

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Indeed @federica

Bring back the Birthing/Earthing Mothers 🌍

Bodhi Gaia, KickAss Tara, Roshi Prajñatara

In time, Prajñatara became a great master in her own right and was considered leader of the Sarvastivadin sect of Buddhism. She employed the Lakavatara Sutra in her teaching.

Later she traveled to southern India and was invited by King Simhavarman to teach. The king's youngest son, Bodhitara, showed special abilities and Prajñatara ordained him and gave him the name, Bodhidharma. After training him in meditation, she advised him to go to China.
    https://www.zenwomen.com/2010/04/prajnatara.html

• AngusAngus Vietnam Explorer

Ajarn Chah said :- throw all the books on meditation in the bin , turn off all the gadgets . The best book for understanding meditation is the heart !

lobsterAlex
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

I recommend "Mindfulness in Plain English" by Bhante Gunaratana, I received my copy from a friend, who had been given it to him by a Sri Lankan bhante/monk. And as per the instructions on the back of the book, I passed it on when I was done with it. But you can find it being sold on amazon.

The first few chapters of the book I consider to be THE best summary of what Buddhism is and isn't, and what being a Buddhist is about.
    The rest of the book consists of instruction on Mindfulness/Vipassana meditation. Not just how to do it, but how to work with barriers that arise as you do your practice.
    And since Buddhism IS the practice - and not words or book-learning - this book is invaluable for anyone without a live teacher to guide them.

Alex
  • NamadaNamada Veteran

Good meditation books: Your mind!

Shoshin
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

How to Meditate by Pema Chodron

ShoshinFoibleFull
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki

Alex
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Angus said:
    Ajarn Chah said :- throw all the books on meditation in the bin , turn off all the gadgets . The best book for understanding meditation is the heart !

Ajahn Chah wasn't always right. In my opinion.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I believe most books can be turned into papier-mâché balls and used to stuff a zafu ...

Here to be helped 😇

Shoshin

@Angus said:

I love the spirit of the statement, but I think meditation books do have a role to play. They give you a road map and allow you to gauge where your meditation is at, and whether you are going the right way.

adamcrossleylobsterFoibleFullAlex
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

Seems like a deep book, @lobster. What did you get out of it?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

A cyber-zafu made of pdf ... :p

adamcrossley
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

pdf, is that prajna-density fibreboard?

federicalobster