Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Good news thread

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hi all - I’d like to start a good news thread where people can share:

1. Good things that they have done (don’t be shy!!), and;
  2. Good things they’ve seen either in their personal life or in the news.

I’ll start.

I spent the weekend helping my parents move house. My father is 83 and unwell (a stomach cyst and angina) so I was grateful I could help them out. It’s a four hour drive each way to their place so I am tired today but feeling satisfied 🙏🙏🙏

ShoshinKundolobster

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

It's good news that you have started a Good News thread @Bunks and good news that you helped your folks move...Which no doubt they were most grateful for your assistance...

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Totally agree with @Shoshin - it is something I have wanted for a long time ...

Share the love, share the eggs ...
    https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jul/12/the-syrian-refugees-changing-the-uks-food-scene

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I’ve mentioned these before but they’re still good...

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/
    https://www.positive.news/
    https://thecorrespondent.com/

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I was doing my volunteering today and I was helping a man who usually never gets out of his home to come to the neighbourhood social centre to drink some coffee and have a chat with people.

adamcrossleyBunksShoshinlobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited July 2019

Scientists are working on agricultural crops that could capture up to 4 times as much carbon. Not only would they suck up CO2 but it would help produce more nutritious soils.

A machine has been built and launched that cleans plastic from the ocean. Version 1.0 broke down and I assume is being reconfigured to hopefully address any problems.

https://theoceancleanup.com/technology/

JeffreyBunksShoshin
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I am giving up meat for the next three months for Vassa (Rains Retreat)

🙏🙏🙏

federicaShoshinJeroenadamcrossley

The foundations for Ajahn Brahms kuti (meditation hut) have been laid at my local monastery.

I am hoping (selfishly) that as he gets older and can’t travel o/s so much he’ll spend more time with us

🙏🙏🙏

ShoshinadamcrossleyJeroen
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

upright, eyes open, breathing, above ground. If that isn't good news for anyone, I dunno what is... Every new day is a blessing, isn't it?

adamcrossleyBunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I've been reading some pretty shitty crappy snippets of news in one of our national papers. so to read something like this, warms the heart...

Bunks

Funny news on abc, you really get a feel for the Australian outback when you read things like “she said i’ll see you later to her boss and made tracks” B)

Bunks

That makes me grin wryly...

I suggested to the Headmistress and Deputy Headmaster of the Primary School my daughters went to, [that's how long ago it was!] that I could go in and take a half-hour session teaching children how to release tension, breathe, calm their thoughts and begin their day at school in a more relaxed and gentle way, and was advised (I'm not quoting, but trust me, this is exactly what they meant) that they thought the whole thing was a load of hocus-pocus, new-age hippy nonsense, and that it would be of no benefit at all; besides (the school was a RC Diocesan one) It was possible the Priest would object to such influential Mind-affecting 'games' and consider it 'the work of the Devil'.

I had reason a short while later to speak to Father Richer and happened to mention the offer I had made. He bluntly told me that the Head and Deputy were living in the Middle Ages, and that he himself thought it would be an excellent exercise.
    There was a lot to be said, he continued, for quiet and calm contemplation. He did it all the time.

The offer was never followed up on.

It's extremely gratifying, therefore, to see this is now not only encouraged, but actively welcomed and promoted as a useful and worthwhile thing to do....

adamcrossleyBunks

Good news thread

The Four Noble Truths & Eight Fold Path..

The best news ever :)

Bunks
    edited July 2019

D'you know, I think there's a bit of the Robinson Crusoe in all of us; wouldn't we all like to get away from it all for a while, now and then? I know I would....

lobster
    edited July 2019

@federica said:
    D'you know, I think there's a bit of the Robinson Crusoe in all of us; wouldn't we all like to get away from it all for a while, now and then? I know I would....

Yes! I am lucky enough to have a quiet forest monastery 1 hour's drive from my house. That is my place of peace.......

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

You are lucky @Bunks
    However with the development of focus and visualisation the inner island retreat is presented. The remembrance of retreat, good company means:

• The temple is within our temples
    • The Buddhas/are hats 'r us. Wear them out
    • The virtues are our sangha
    • Nobody is dumber than those without inner dharma
    Bunks

England got bowled out for 85 by Ireland =)

Kundoadamcrossley

@Bunks said:

Which shows one of the downsides of a good news thread... sometimes news is good for some people, and bad for others.

Bunks

@Kerome said:

@Bunks said:

Which shows one of the downsides of a good news thread... sometimes news is good for some people, and bad for others.

Ain't that the truth.....my Irish work colleague was cock-a-hoop this morning when he came in.

My husband, on the other hand is Not AMUSED!

Bunks

Ah well, England won the World Cup recently so that's good news for some!

edited July 2019

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

(W.E.L!)

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Sounds a lot like strengthening our 8 Worldly Concerns. The older monks and lamas never take credit for the things they do and deflect praise.

The 8 Concerns That Prevent Happiness:

Taking delight in having money and material possessions ,
    Being disappointed, upset, angry when we lose possessions or don’t get them.

Feeling delighted when people praise us and approve of us and tell us how wonderful we are.
    Feeling very upset and dejected when they criticize us and disapprove of us—even if they are telling us the truth!

Feeling delighted when we have a good reputation and a good image.
    Being dejected and upset when we have a bad reputation .

Feeling delighted when we experience sense pleasures —fantastic sights, sounds, odors, tastes and tactile sensations.
    Feeling dejected and upset when we have unpleasant sensations.

BunkslobsterShoshinperson

Wow! that could have been a 'bad news' moment!

Bunks

@Bunks said:

Ireland got bowled out for 38 by England...!

@federica said:

@Bunks said:

Good? Bad? Who knows....... Ajahn Brahm

@Bunks said:

@federica said:

@Bunks said:

Good? Bad? Who knows....... Ajahn Brahm

Way to cop out! You started this!! :lol:

adamcrossleyBunks

Haha! That's the problem with gloating about sport....it always comes back to bite you on the a**e!

federica

Wow what a story to tell ( and possibly show) when he's older :)

Often young children (toddlers) have a habit of wandering off if unattended and especially at airports...so many things to see and touch ...As parents we need to have eyes in the back and sides of our head when our children are young..

federicaBunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Seaweed to the rescue
    https://www.positive.news/environment/all-we-need-is-sun-and-sea-englands-first-commercial-seaweed-farm-to-open/

Meanwhile wrote to the London Assembly website:

Instead of planting trees, we seem to be planting houses. Yet biodegradable tree houses are available. In Canada, wood based skyscrapers/towers are built and assembled elsewhere and grow/build on site pioneers such as the Chinese and Swedish, have many open source building scenarios.
    Polluting cars are not yet illegal. Yet they are throttling and killing children and the vulnerable.
    Unpave our streets and grow insect and human food and visual flowers.
    You are either making London green or ...

Also where are our floating parks? What is the Thames for if not a living city cleansing ...

Bunks
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited July 2019

Good news for @Bunks (and my husband), Carlton have had three wins in a row :awesome:

@Kundo said:
    Good news for @Bunks (and my husband), Carlton have had three wins in a row :awesome:

Yes!! Very good news =)

• Good news for Rugby fans - Americans are terrible Rugby players. Of course Trump thinks Rugby is a car made in India under Australian license. Rugby is safe from American intervention.

Bunks

@Lionduck said:
    Good news for Rugby fans - Americans are terrible Rugby players. Of course Trump thinks Rugby is a car made in India under Australian license. Rugby is safe from American intervention.

So it appears are Australians.... =)

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:

Are you talking about that Union crap? :awesome:

@Kundo said:

@Bunks said:

Are you talking about that Union crap? :awesome:

Haha yes.....sumo wrestling with a ball

KundoLionduck
  • Well it is great news to me ... even though dated ...
    Lost tribe found and rehabilitated ...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-43702764

VastmindBunks