Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I am related to the Buddha?

Just found out I share a common ancestry with the Buddha ...
Iz science!
Maybe you too? Ah interdependence ...

Comments

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Long live the primordial soup!

lobsterRowan1980
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Hmm so does this mean that I'm related to a logarithm ?

• LionduckLionduck Veteran

Run it back far enough and we are all just brothers and sisters and cousins.
    but, since Buddha arises from the common mortal, we are

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I may be descended from the Buddhas uncle and father in law:
    SupperBuddha or King SuperBuddha (not sure of pronunciation, no records exist on https://www.genealogy.com/)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppabuddha

... though I like to think I may have naga blood somewhere in my game of lion thrones :skull:

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Yes, if you look at the generations simply your number of ancestors doubles each time... it becomes a very large number quite quickly. It’s fun to think about, some people go to considerable lengths to find out what they can find out about their ancestors.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Well @Kerome you're obviously very closely related to Ho Tei... I mean, your photo avatar is a dead ringer...

JeroenKundo
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Most likely =)

"A being who has not been your mother at one time in the past is not easy to find... A being who has not been your father... your brother... your sister... your son... your daughter at one time in the past is not easy to find. "Why is that? From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. SN 15.14-19 "

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

"Buddha" is a state of being. We are ALL "Buddhas", according to the monks. We just don't know it.
    THE Buddha was just one enlightened being ... Siddhartha.

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

There has been many "I"s and will be many more "I"s...

We all share a common ancestor

Fosdick
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Yes indeed, and I posit that would be the primordial slime, the progenitor of every living thing - the progenitor, not just of humans, but of US. We're all family here on this earth.

JeroenShoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Fosdick said:
    Yes indeed, and I posit that would be the primordial slime, the progenitor of every living thing - the progenitor, not just of humans, but of US. We're all family here on this earth.

Including the penguins and the killer whales!

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

@Kerome said:
    Including the penguins and the killer whales!

Someone at a retreat I recently attended asked, “When I’m doing the walking meditation, and I’m expressing compassion for the beings who cross my path, and I watch a spider trap and eat a fly, who do I have compassion for?” And our teacher answered both—he doesn’t know how it is for spiders and flies, he doesn’t know if it’s possible to feel happy as you’re being eaten, but he knows he can still wish it. That was an expression of interdependence to my mind.

JeroenShoshinlobsterrocala
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2019

I never wish to eat flies or be a spider (lobsters are distant cousins)

I am very happy to have 3 or 4 (at least) spiders in my kitchen that I am on friendly terms with. I sometimes leave the window open so that their winged food can cure their recent winter arachnid anaemia.

So I have favourites :3 Spider attachments :o

I am kind to fish. Eating them allows them to be fulfilled ... eh ... my distant ancestral family - Clan Shakya - did eat fish you know ... o:)

adamcrossley

But can you be related to the Buddha if he did not have children? I suppose you might be related to the buddha’s father or mother, and so to the Buddha, depending on if the clan progressed from there... or to the buddha’s ancestors and other relations.

Demographics are a complicated subject, once you start looking at the patterns of intermarriage within societies... there is bound to be a certain amount of stratification based on class and perhaps wealth. People are strange.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The buddha did have children... He had a Son, Rahula...

adamcrossleyJeroen
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Indeed. Rahula became a monk but who knows what he got up to being brought up by a single parent during his teenage rebellion ... His gestation period was six years [mmm ...] O.o

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran

Not according to my 23andme results!

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

The Buddha was an English gentleman, and being Irish I couldn't possibly be related, even under EU regulations. ?

federicalobsterShoshinKundo
  • I see him every day in the mirror. Though, sometimes, I must admit I have a hard time recognizing him. Strange, though, he always recognizes me. Hmmmm.
    But then @DairyLama, I am Irish, English, Scots, and, per my DNA test, a whole passel of others, so, most likely exchanged pleasantries with the Historic Dude somewhere along the route.
    A lot of Americans hate to admit it, but we are a conglomerate lot of mongrels.

Peace to you all.

lobsteradamcrossley

I wonder if the “you are related to the Buddha” line of thought takes into account the propensity of people to inter-marry within groups... I mean if there is such a thing as Irish, Scots and so on there must be discernible DNA traits for those groups.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I’m sure I mentioned it on here a while ago but I worked with a Nepalese girl until recently named Karuna Sakya- the most Buddhist name I’ve ever heard!!

adamcrossley

...Is "worked with" a euphemism...? :lol:

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    ...Is "worked with" a euphemism...? :lol:

Excuse me? What are you implying @federica? =)

International entente cordiale...?

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

@federica said:

I googled this and am even less sure of your meaning @federica 😂

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited August 2019

@adamcrossley said:

@federica said:

I googled this and am even less sure of your meaning @federica 😂

Would you like me to draw you a diagram...?

adamcrossley
  • Yes. We humans are all related.

Human evolution began in Africa around 7 million years ago when a now extinct ancestral ape population split and gave rise to the chimpanzee and bonobo family trees, and the hominin or human family tree due to climatic and geological activity pertaining to the formation of the Great Rift Valley in East Africa.

Most human species lived in Africa, many of which lived at the same time, and the same places between 7 million and 1 million years ago (give or take). Not all of the African species evolved into Homo sapiens. Some were just evolutionary offshoots that went completely extinct. There were many species that belonged to various genuses such as Sahelanthropus, Orrorin, Ardipithecus, Australopithecus, Paranthropus, Kenyanthropus, and our own genus, Homo. Most of the African fossils have been found within and near the Great Rift Valley in countries such as Ethiopia, Kenya, and Tanzania. But others have also been discovered in countries such as Chad, South Africa, Zambia, and Morocco. In addition to that, the earliest known manufactured stone tools date to around 3.3 million to 3.4 million years ago, and were discovered in the Kanopoi region near Lake Turkana in Kenya.

There were also several Out of Africa migrations that occurred.

The first was around 1.9 million to 1.8 million years ago with Homo erectus (or the African variant of Homo erectus known as Homo ergaster) migrating into Asia and Europe, where in Europe they evolved into Homo antecessor around 800,000 years ago, and in Asia remained as Homo erectus (or if one subscribes to the proposal that Homo ergaster was a completely different species from erectus, then it was ergaster that evolved into erectus in Asia). The population of Homo erectus/Homo ergaster that stayed behind in Africa evolved into Homo heidelbergensis

Homo heidelbergensis migrated out of Africa around 600,000 years ago. This species migrated into Europe, in which that population evolved into the Neanderthals, and in Asia where that population evolved into the Denisovans. The heidelbergensis populations that stayed behind in Africa evolved into our species, Homo sapiens, between 300,000 and 200,000 years ago.

Homo sapiens migrated out of Africa between 70,000 to 50,000 years ago, and along the way, interbred with the Neanderthals, the Denisovans, and perhaps with many other as yet unknown human species both outside and within Africa based on DNA evidence.

https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/SN/SN15_3.html