Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Happiness in the UAE

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I saw a piece on Euronews about how they are approaching happiness in the United Arab Emirates. They have “happiness champions” who are responsible for implementing “happiness strategies” with the help of “happiness face-recognition AI”. It all sounds... creepy.

It makes me wonder about the contrast with how they go about happiness in Bhutan.

What do you think about modern state-led happiness?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

1984, anyone....?

If the UAE focused as much attention on Human Rights, then maybe the Happiness would be more genuine....

Kundo
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Kerome said:

What do you think about modern state-led happiness?

If it involves meditation....then I'm all for it :)

adamcrossley
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    1984, anyone....?

If the UAE focused as much attention on Human Rights, then maybe the Happiness would be more genuine....

Ditto @federica, the UAE has an appalling human rights record.

I’d be very suspicious of any so called happiness agenda they’d be pushing

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Bunks said:
    the UAE has an appalling human rights record.

I’d be very suspicious of any so called happiness agenda they’d be pushing

I think it’s true that all governments would like their citizens to be happy, that way they are less likely to do awkward things like protesting and rioting. Slightly cynical perhaps but true. The thing is you can’t enforce happiness, and that’s always the temptation with governments.