Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Early in the morning

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

Have you ever observed your body and state of being when coming out of sleep? I find that extremely relaxed state to be very beautiful, before any of the day’s tensions have taken hold. It’s a lot like meditation I feel, except that meditation on the breath seems more forced, less freeform than sleep.

I’ve been paying close attention to my state when coming out of sleep for about a year now, and i’ve found there often is a clarity first thing in the morning, as if things within me are not yet awake while my consciousness has gained awareness.

I feel there is something to be learned from sensitively observing body and mind throughout the day...

BunksAlexadamcrossleyDavid

Comments

• I feel there is something to be learned from sensitively observing body and mind throughout the day...

Body, mind, emotions and experiencing/environmental awareness ...

What is this Being?
    Wot indeed! =)

• DimmesdaleDimmesdale Illinois Explorer

I used to feel good in the morning, not immediately, but within a few minutes of waking up, and seeing the reddish/yellowish sky situated in the east and radiating its effulgence.... I USED to have a feeling of peace, but now it's gone, and I hardly even feel refreshed after sleeping.... But it is what it is and I have to accept it.

Not too long ago for many years I struggled greatly with waking up at an early time. Only now do I feel the strength, grace and discipline within myself to wake up at an earlier time, and have a regular sleep schedule. I am grateful.

I just want my momentum to keep going, and I wish that for every living being, to be in-tune with the proper rhythms of life....

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2019

''Effulgence".... lovely word. A true delight to read it....

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

@Kerome said:
    Have you ever observed your body and state of being when coming out of sleep?

I'm not sure that I have honestly. I think that moment always passes me by. How did you begin to notice it?

i’ve found there often is a clarity first thing in the morning

This is not the case with me. If I have the time, I will sometimes lie in bed for more than ten minutes completely lost in thought. It's easier to get on with the day when my partner is here, but she's away at the moment.

On retreat, my teacher said that in the monastery where she was ordained, she had been encouraged to notice whether she fell asleep on an in-breath or an out-breath, and she passed the instruction on to us. I have never noticed that either!

I feel there is something to be learned from sensitively observing body and mind throughout the day...

This is so true. Today I had a small epiphany about the phrase, "Come to your senses." I think I'd always understood this as, "Be sensible." But on another level, it's asking us to attend to our sensory experience. In English, this saying predates our knowledge of mindfulness by centuries. I think it shows we've always had an appreciation for the body's innate wisdom, especially when contrasted with that of the racing mind.

Jeroen
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@adamcrossley said:... On retreat, my teacher said that in the monastery where she was ordained, she had been encouraged to notice whether she fell asleep on an in-breath or an out-breath, and she passed the instruction on to us. I have never noticed that either!

well, at least there's this to consider: We always fall asleep breathing. One day, waking up breathing will not be possible...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@adamcrossley said:

@Kerome said:
    Have you ever observed your body and state of being when coming out of sleep?

I'm not sure that I have honestly. I think that moment always passes me by. How did you begin to notice it?

It started with just being mindful after I woke, first thing in the morning. Then i had some occasions where I was observing myself coming out of dreams into wakefulness. But I have kept up the practice of being mindful for a period as soon as I remember after waking up.

This is not the case with me. If I have the time, I will sometimes lie in bed for more than ten minutes completely lost in thought.

Maybe this would be a good time to meditate. The body is the most calm just after coming out of sleep, and the mind is rested, so if you were to manage the process of watching your thoughts come and go, it would be propitious. HHDL meditates at 4 AM, which I certainly don’t manage.

adamcrossley
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Yes true, but then emotions wake up, stretch their muscles and say....
    "Let's get this show on the road!"