Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bad karma ripening now instead of future lives

Is it true that accumulating alot of good karma now causes bad karma that would have been experienced in future lives to ripen more quickly in this life?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

No. How can you possibly tell what bad Kamma you will experience in a future life? What if you don't get a future life?
    The past is done. You cannot change it. There is no future. There is nothing to be changed.
    Because your only future is right now.

Sorry... Now.

No.... Now.

Now.....

NOW.

FosdickFinnTheHuman
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2019

Maybe it's a way to put things in a positive light. As in "how are you".. "oh I'm having a feeling of bad karma." I get the sense that the way people talk about any particular bad karma is that it won't last forever.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@namaste4130 said:
    Is it true that accumulating alot of good karma now causes bad karma that would have been experienced in future lives to ripen more quickly in this life?

I can't say I have ever heard that before.

• @namaste4130 said:

Yes. It is not true. In other words accumulating is attachment ... ooh bad karma ... ay up ...

Better karma is the result of better karmic choices in this very fruition/life

Na mastay ... B)

• I have heard that meditation could cause you to experience what is in the moment. And then another moment of thinking may arise.

But re-reading the question right now I feel sleepy. And just hearing sense is here as I think. The sounds of the computer's processors and sounds of dishes being done downstairs.

lobsterDavid
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited August 2019

@namaste4130 said:

I obviously don't know but it doesn't seem so to me. Everything is so intertwined and dependent. Conditions coming together allow for events to happen in such a way that no thing could possibly happen without the potential for it to happen happening first.

I'm picturing myself slipping on a banana peel that sends me in front of a road sweeper. I don't think I could hasten that scenario and just thinking about doing so reveals quite a convoluted tapestry of interconnecting lives. So many conditions have to come together just right for that to happen but the only way I could possibly influence the outcome is to be mindful of the present moment and simply step around the peel.

Sorry, I can't resist the temptation for run-on sentences.

Bunks
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

@namaste4130 said:

Not according to anything I remember reading or hearing. Where did you get this from?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@adamcrossley said:

@namaste4130 said:

Not according to anything I remember reading or hearing. Where did you get this from?

Yes, I would also like to dearly know the source. If only to give 'em a slap upside the head...

edited August 2019

Moderator note:

I sincerely hope I am incorrect, but I have a foreboding feeling this might be a 'passer-by' member. I hope they do come back in to continue the discussion...

• Well there is a Buddhist scripture about Angulimala where the Buddha tells him to "bear with it" because he was experiencing karma ripening now that he otherwise would have experienced in future lives. Someone on dhammawhee quoted it for me.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2019

Hi I hesitate to think about this again but Buddha might tell Angulimala what he finds appropriate to tell him. I know the Jewel Ornament of Liberation talks about this also. Here's a quotation I found.

Likewise, to alleviate the suffering of the beings born in the universe within which Śākyamuni resides, the bodhisattvas send forth a vast array of emanated beings and objects. Through these emanations, they heal sentient beings and transform their environment.

84000: Translating the Words of the Buddha is a global non-profit initiative that aims to translate all the Buddha’s words into modern languages, and to make them available to everyone.

From the Jewel Cloud sutra

Correct me here if I am wrong of course.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@namaste4130 said:
    Well there is a Buddhist scripture about Angulimala where the Buddha tells him to "bear with it"

That's a good one! However, there is nothing in there to really indicate that bad karma ripens more quickly, etc. The point of that is to illustrate that one's state of mind has an influence on how bad karma ripens, not when bad karma ripens.

Translator's notes on that particular section of the sutta, point to the Lonaphala Sutta: The Salt Crystal, which is really all about how karma ripens for particular people.

"Monks, for anyone who says, 'In whatever way a person makes kamma, that is how it is experienced,' there is no living of the holy life, there is no opportunity for the right ending of stress. But for anyone who says, 'When a person makes kamma to be felt in such & such a way, that is how its result is experienced,' there is the living of the holy life, there is the opportunity for the right ending of stress.

person
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited August 2019

@namaste4130 said:
    Well there is a Buddhist scripture about Angulimala where the Buddha tells him to "bear with it" because he was experiencing karma ripening now that he otherwise would have experienced in future lives. Someone on dhammawhee quoted it for me.

The case of Angulimala is interesting because if memory serves he attained arhatship, which means he must have purified his karma somehow. That implies that if you intensely follow the path, enough to make serious progress, that you may come across past bad karma that ripens in this life. Seems reasonable, given the lore.

But if that means that the bad karma manifests as bad things happening, that seems somewhat unlikely. It seems more likely that you’d get bad dreams or visions. That’s my impression anyway.

person