Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Jim Carrey on spirituality

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran
edited September 2019 in General Banter

I was just reading this interview with Jim Carrey, and I have to say he really surprised me by going into the depths. The first question he was asked was “Mr Carrey, have you ever had a spiritual epiphany” and he ends up talking about coming to independent realisations of no-self, suffering and deep compassion. Much respect for the man, makes me interested in all the art he has been creating the last few years.

I went back and read the interview a second time, and a third time. It finally made a few things about no-self become clear to me, on an inner energetic level. This was the first time i’ve really connected to having no self, and yet having various energies within that motivate you to do things. It is surprising what sources teachings can come from, sometimes. It opened a few doors for me.

https://the-talks.com/interview/jim-carrey/

ShoshinBunksadamcrossleyDavidlobster

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Interesting timing @Kerome - I was just the other day listening to this talk about Jim Carrey by Prince Ea (who's worth a listen if the opportunity arises.....)

Vastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Really nice video. Food for thought. (Not 'my' thought, obviously... a pondering for the thougt-process that evolves and takes me another step along... ) Yes. Like it.

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It certainly is an interesting video. The whole thing made me wonder about taking up acting as an exploration of no-self.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Kerome said:
    It certainly is an interesting video. The whole thing made me wonder about taking up acting as an exploration of no-self.

Well, Keanu Reeves and Steven Seagal have different tales to tell....

Yup, on the button, @Bunks ...

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I like the Movie The Mask

Jeroen
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

Carrey's description of humanity as "consciousness dancing for itself" strongly reminds me of Ram Dass. I wonder what reading he's done during the course of these realizations. They can't have been completely independent discoveries... can they?

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

From the interview, it sounded to me like he had come to these thoughts pretty much independently. He certainly didn’t explicitly mention a guru or Buddhism, or even seem to link it to a spiritual train of thought. I think it’s not unreasonable because there are only so many ways of expressing these things.

@Bunks said:

@Kerome said:

In a lot of ways we all already have...

Have we? You hear people talking about acting out, but this is something I almost never do, i’m a much more restrained type of person, which is why doing an acting class would be such a big departure for me... i’ve never really gone for being in the limelight.

But I think the way we have of expressing our usual range of emotions isn’t really the same as consciously acting out a role. There is a kind of craft to acting a character, which when you go deeply into it does seem to expose our various emotions.

@Kerome said:

@Bunks said:

@Kerome said:

Have we? You hear people talking about acting out, but this is something I almost never do, i’m a much more restrained type of person, which is why doing an acting class would be such a big departure for me... i’ve never really gone for being in the limelight.

But I think the way we have of expressing our usual range of emotions isn’t really the same as consciously acting out a role. There is a kind of craft to acting a character, which when you go deeply into it does seem to expose our various emotions.

Let me ask you something, @Kerome ... if you're in a store, serving a customer, do you act in exactly the same way towards them as you would a bunch of guys at a football game?
    Would you speak to a nun in a similar way you might approach a hooker? (Remember, these questions are hypothetical!)
    If you were talking to a child, would you talk to the child with a language best understood by a University graduate?

I would suspect the answer to all three is 'no'. Because you're acting in a way appropriate to circumstance. Emphasis on 'Acting'...

Which of the three is the real you?

All of them?
    None of them?

Bear in mind, this is an issue relating to Buddhism and Ego... Self and not-self....

adamcrossleyVastmindlobster

Yes, you’re right in that you’re not talking exactly in the same way, but for me all those are just variations on ‘respectfully neutral’. In a way I guess acting appeals because I’ve never gone to extremes in expressing myself, and it looks like acting does afford an opportunity to do that.

@Kerome said:
    Yes, you’re right in that you’re not talking exactly in the same way, but for me all those are just variations on ‘respectfully neutral’.

Not so. You behave and moderate your interaction depending on the 'play'. That's an oft-used metaphor, isn't it; to observe ourselves as if we were watching a programme, a film... a play.
    To look on as a spectator, an outsider, because everything is ephemeral, temporary, transient. We sit, we look, we witness... then we rise and move on. This too shall pass. And we move on to the next 'mis-en-scene' , the next performance. We put on an act, a mask. Just like Jim Carrey did... he became a whole new entity, putting on 'The Mask'. Behind it, he was still the same original, but wearing it, he formulated, developed and personified a completely different character.
    We all wear a mask, we all act in different ways, we all...'perform'...

In a way I guess acting appeals because I’ve never gone to extremes in expressing myself, and it looks like acting does afford an opportunity to do that.

Observe yourself during the say... see where the genuine 'you' comes out from behind the mask, and when you are not 'your true Self... is there a conflict of opinion?

Acting isn't always about being extrovert, extreme, flamboyant. Sometimes, acting involves long, still silences....

lobsterJeroen
    edited September 2019

@federica said:

@Kerome said:
    In a way I guess acting appeals because I’ve never gone to extremes in expressing myself, and it looks like acting does afford an opportunity to do that.

Observe yourself during the day... see where the genuine 'you' comes out from behind the mask, and when you are not 'your' true Self... is there a conflict of opinion?

It’s interesting, but now that I’m paying attention to it, and have given myself leave to act out, I’m finding that I’ve become more expressive, that I am letting the things that I have inside hang out and am being more voluble.

It’s as if I am acting by being myself... is this what it feels like to be extrovert? ;)

Anyway I’ve signed up for a beginner’s acting course. Should be fun.

BunksShoshin

It depends on your personal definition of 'extrovert'... It's a bit like "Yin" and "Yang". You can't define them in and as themselves; you can only describe Yin and Yang in comparison to something else.

Yoga = Yin
    Ballet = Yang.

Ballet = Yin
    Break-dancing = Yang

Break-dancing = Yin
    Cage-fighting = Yang....

adamcrossley

I suppose so, although I suspect there are not many people around here who would consider the emotional equivalent of cage-fighting as introversion.

I’ve met people in this town who sat drinking a cup of coffee at a busy communal table without moving a muscle in their face for half an hour, completely immutable and Sphinx-like.

@Kerome said:
    I suppose so, although I suspect there are not many people around here who would consider the emotional equivalent of cage-fighting as introversion.

No, I'm just using it as a Yang physical activity comparison to break-dancing. You could, I suppose, replace it with Floor programme gymnastics, for example...

I’ve met people in this town who sat drinking a cup of coffee at a busy communal table without moving a muscle in their face for half an hour, completely immutable and Sphinx-like.

See, I can't do that.....

Whereas we have Buddhox....

VastmindBunkslobsteradamcrossley
  • Never mistake a mask, or shell for the content

Jim Carrey was very unwell, for most of his life. Seems better now ... 💗🤔😌

@lobster said:
    Never mistake a mask, or shell for the content

This reminds me of...

All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event—in the living act, the undoubted deed—there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall?
    —Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

which in turn reminds me of...

All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players;
    They have their exits and their entrances,
    And one man in his time plays many parts, [...]
    Last scene of all,
    That ends this strange eventful history,
    Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
    Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.
    —William Shakespeare, As You Like It

and that brings me back to...

No eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body or mind...
    Heart Sutra

Funny how these things echo each other. Melville read Shakespeare obsessively, but I don’t think Shakespeare read Avalokiteshvara.

lobsterShoshin
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman England Explorer

He is a Transcendental Meditation practitioner or at least was. He gave a honorary speech at one of the graduations at Maharishi University

Bunks
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

"Once in a while you get shone the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right".
    -Huntrr/Garcia

@Bunks said:

@Kerome said:

Or maybe taken up no-self as an exploration of acting, lol.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I never found Jim Carrey funny until I saw him crawl out of the rhinos butt. That whole scene just really tickled my sense of the absurd.

I was surprised at how deep he ended up getting in his career and spirituality.

Great example.

@David said:
    I never found Jim Carrey funny until I saw him crawl out of the rhinos butt. That whole scene just really tickled my sense of the absurd.

I was surprised at how deep he ended up getting in his career and spirituality.

Great example.

Yes, when you've crawled out of a rhino's butt, you've reached the pinnacle of fame...

But I agree on the Spirituality PoV...

• About Acting:
    Develop a strong sense of self-worth.
    Take everything seriously (with a grain of salt) except yourself
    (Which you must take exceptionally seriously except you'd better not)
    You will face rejection infinitely until you don't
    Don't take it personal
    stay far away from the "Casting Couch"
    All success is ephemeral.
    Success has a thousand hands - failure just two
    No matter how successful you become, you still have to take out the trash.

Have fun.

@Lionduck said:
    No matter how successful you become, you still have to take out the trash.

This rings true on several levels. Well said.

lobster
  • @Kerome said:
    I went back and read the interview a second time, and a third time.

Bodhi Jim Carrey. Bravo.

... in many ways the sauce becomes The Source. In other words, wisdom stares us in the face. When we stare back, without looking, we are in effect sleep walking.

This is why understanding the dharma is no different to understanding Mr Carrey, ourselves or the bigger picture ...

Can we hear silence? Find Nothing as if lost ... ?

Vastmind