Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Letting go of motivation

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I’ve usually found the practice of letting go to be very helpful, in the vein that clinging is often a source of suffering, and so with letting go one can lessen the problem. I have tried to cultivate a spirit of letting go. But lately I’ve been wondering whether it’s possible to let go of too many things, to let go of essential motivations. There has been a distinct decrease in my enthusiasm for studying dhamma and meditating, and I have been feeling a little lost and lacking direction.

Is there such a thing as letting go too much?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

No.
    There is 'Letting go' when it's necessary and skilful. Until you NEED to let go - hold on.

Fosdicklobster
  • Motivation can come and go but you can resolve to pick it back up again when it appears.

Shoshinlobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

The metaphor of the lute string may apply here. You can be too tight and you can be too loose.

I tend towards the loose end. Understanding that I can be intentional in applying structure and order to my life even if it doesn't necessarily feel natural.

Jeroenlobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Well said @lobster...

I was wondering whether the forum’s Dharma Music was getting a little quiet recently...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Kerome said:
    Well said @lobster...

I was wondering whether the forum’s Dharma Music was getting a little quiet recently...

Yes, I said as much to another member.
    This isn't a criticism, but with a membership total running into the thousands, it seems we have become few in interactive number. Hence the lack of.... 'new tunes to hum to'....
    And please don't think I have been idle, or remiss in my duties.. I mentioned elsewhere that in the past month, I have admitted a high number of applicants all of whom gave very good reasons and requests for joining. So, I happily let them in.

So...
    Where are they then...?

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

My practices always wax and wane, sometimes over seasons/months, sometimes over years, apparently :p . I allow them to come and go and embrace what fills that space. The wisdom that comes from those practices never changes and never disappears.

I had to stop thinking of meditation in particular as a progressive experience. I know a lot of people treat it that way, but for me, it leads to guilt and other issues when I stop and start. It makes me less likely to restart the practice because then I feel "behind" but I've found that's not really the case at all. Meditation is like my best friend. My bff and I have known each other literally since birth, but we don't see each other often. However, we never need to restart. We always know each other perfectly whenever we get together and we pick up where we left off, even if it's been a year. Meditation and other practices are mostly the same for me.

personJeroenadamcrossley
  • I had to stop thinking of meditation in particular as a progressive experience.

Very important, valid, and healthy points.
    We can create a personally applicable routine
    https://www.theemotionmachine.com/multi-stage-meditation-a-15-minute-routine/

We can just sit
    ... come back to a more applicable practice
    ... Focus on a particular area, perhaps chanting, posture, visualisation, movement eg. walking or prostrations, mindfulness and so on.

Personally I find meditation is progressive, that does not invalidate others experience/requirements ...

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@lobster I certainly note progress, but I don't have to force it or keep track of it. I find it tends to happen on its own and if I take a break from formal sitting, I don't find I lose what I previously gained.

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Welcome back @karasti, it’s been a while since we last saw you... you were missed B)

karastiadamcrossley
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    No.
    There is 'Letting go' when it's necessary and skilful. Until you NEED to let go - hold on.

Including letting go of Buddhism when necessary.