Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Perfectionism

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

It strikes me that much of what we do is driven by a kind of perfectionism, and not accepting the world the way it is. I was talking to my stepfather yesterday, he is 83 and he was talking about how much of a mess the British government is making of Brexit. The way he said it made me realise that his underlying motivation was actually that what he wanted was something different. Now this isn’t something he could do anything about, but still he was spending his time and energy reading the bbc website and papers in order to follow what was going on.

We do this in a lot of cases. We get wound up about things that somehow we attach to in our minds. It can be an idea, or some ideal, and in fact, the world often carries on regardless of what we think. Sometimes our perfectionism is about something personal, like health or fitness. But still it is not seeing things clearly.

lobsterpersonDavidBunks

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Yes, I think the world is messy and grey. The world exists on a continuum, rather than a binary and things are relative and contextual rather than absolute. I think this is what the doctrine of emptiness and interdependence points to.

lobsterShoshinJeroenDavid
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Whosoever sees the Dependent Origination sees the Dharma
    Whosoever sees the Dharma sees Dependent Origination

I blame it all on the five aggregates and their partners in crime, the six sense doors...I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them

JeroenBunks
  • Ah ha!
    Defined and identifying by the Ideal. I'll join. o:)

The Four Noble Perfections

1. Existence is Perfect
    2. Focus on the Greater Good
    3. Understanding The Natural
    4. Being Natural

Which leads to the 8 Fold Wonders

... Thanks Buddha. Nice try. :p;)<3

DavidBunks
  • Perfection is overrated.
    In traditional Japanese pottery, the "perfect" put or cup or plate bears a small imperfection. It is perfect because it is imperfect. Accepting that none of us is or can be perfect is itself all the perfection we need - only then will we advance.
    Being imperfect myself, I do not require perfection from others. Thus life is much more fun.

Peace to all

FosdickDavid
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2019

@Kerome said:

We do this in a lot of cases. We get wound up about things that somehow we attach to in our minds. It can be an idea, or some ideal, and in fact, the world often carries on regardless of what we think. Sometimes our perfectionism is about something personal, like health or fitness. But still it is not seeing things clearly.

I've caught myself in this often. It's good to pick our battles, so to speak because otherwise we fight endlessly or on the other extreme, lose any sense of wonder and inspiration.

On the other hand, we also have the tendency to romanticize our ideas of perfection, putting it out of reach by saying things like "nobody is perfect".

By trying to define perfection, we make it exclusive which screws with us because not only does everybody have unique abilities and perspectives, we have differing ideas on what it is to be perfect.

The way the mundane world goes is perfection and even through limited awareness, beings like us can catch a glimpse of what that is like from time to time.

Interdependence, non-self, causation... we all have something we can all benefit from even if only for another viewpoint. If this was nourished and every person born was able to live up to our full potential, holy smokes.

We all apparently have the potential to be Buddhas but if we all woke up completely right this very moment, I don't think we would see from the same set of eyes. I do think we would see our true nature as being cooperative however and would flourish along with this and any other planet we find hospitable.

@Lionduck, from where I sit you couldn't be imperfect if you tried.

Lionduck
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

about perfection.do right , feel right.the basis of training in our buddha dharma.it develops a sense of right instinct or appropiate action where we know this is right for us .

dharma takes work,initually.with milage it become integrated in you.in dao-zen,the phraise,he or she is. with you.

Bunks
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

perhaps less ideal,and be more real. find true in you.

DavidSuraShine