Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Question without notice

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Would you rather be right or would you rather be happy?

I'll take the latter.....

AlexShoshin

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Being right is one of those things that feeds the ego, it’s not ultimately good for one’s growth.

Being happy too can be a mixed blessing, depending on where it comes from and what it does to the rest of your state of mind. Witness lots of depressed people being given “happiness juice” (antidepressants) and often only feeling moderately better.

But I think overall happiness is to be preferred, yes B)

BunksBuddha-Dude
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I'm always both, so.... :p

Seriously though... Seng-Ts’an, aka Sengcan, who died in 606 is attributed with the saying -

“Don’t keep searching for the truth, just let go of your opinions.”

Seems legit advice...

BunksBuddha-DudeFinnTheHumanlobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

For the most part all I've wanted out of life is to be happy. I think I've come to value truth as the most important value though. I think I'd rather have a hard truth than a pleasant fiction.

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    I'm always both, so.... :p

Seriously though... Seng-Ts’an, aka Sengcan, who died in 606 is attributed with the saying -

“Don’t keep searching for the truth, just let go of your opinions.”

Seems legit advice...

That deserved a lol and am insightful @federica =)

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Bunks said:

I would rather just be content.... :)

@Shoshin said:

@Bunks said:

I would rather just be content.... :)

Contentment = happiness

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Bunks said:

The right thing is to choose both
    ... that should keep everyone happy o:)

BunksFosdick
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@Bunks said:

I was miserable until I left so this is a toughie.

Actually, it is rather tough. I can't envision a scenario where I would have to choose.

adamcrossley

@David said:

@Bunks said:

Actually, it is rather tough. I can't envision a scenario where I would have to choose.

Left where @David ?

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@Bunks said:

@David said:

@Bunks said:

Left where @David ?

Oh, nowhere really. I was just trying to be punny.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@seeker242 said:
    Both! Because from a buddhist perspective, being right about the true nature of things, is essential for happiness to begin with.

It didn't specify what you wanted to be right about. It could be shakespeare's prolific material, and whether it was written by him or not, or whether you can reverse drive up a one-way street. So specifically - you're wrong. ;)

Bunks
  • @Bunks said:

Is that a latter coffee? :p

I am happy to be wrong if it makes people happy. Just as being right happily changes according to circumstance, ideally to right Being. <3

Just as we may have established both are preferable, even inevitable, we can explore the third and fourth options ... B)

Wisdom is a happy state. A sound mind in a sound body. However what if our body or karmic circumstances are difficult? Could we still experience happiness or equanimity? o:)

Live long and prosper
    Vulcan Dharma =)

• Bunks Australia Veteran

Me too. =)=):)
    When asked "What is the purpose of life?", a wise man said, "To be happy."

Bunks
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

My drive to be right about things is partly perfectionism. My drive to be happy is partly fantasy.

When I read Thich Nhat Hanh, I know that to be genuinely right and happy, I only have to let go and arrive wholeheartedly in the present moment.

JeroenBunkslobsterVastmind
  • Question with notice

Awareness we might notice, allows us the spacing between the perfect fantasy that @adamcrossley mentions and the other partings between dualistic awareness ...

In other words in not choosing but being aware, we do not have to be drawn to alternatives. In the moment we are choice.

In other words we have no-choice.

Happy now. Right Now.

Bunks